Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Gromett, nice to meet you.........

I think between us we have discovered why some people like apple computers and some don't. You probably knew this already though. The fact is, you know what your talking about and I don't. But that's probably the point. I have no idea what a BSOD is and have never seen a Linux outside of a zoo. I'll never know what apple are hiding from me as I'll never demand from my computerised gizmo's anything more than say 10% of what they can offer. I guess that was perhaps a large part of Mr Jobs intended strategy. Please the idiots who care more about how it looks than how it works. I don't even have to open my Macbook Air to enjoy it.

The fact that my mother is skyping me is chillingly satisfying. And it's only possible because Apple hid those bits that we plebs have no idea exist. (I was always taught never to put 'And' after a full stop but there seems to have been a shift in that stern dictate so I'm enjoying breaking the law. Oh how I wish my English teacher was still alive)

Function is very important to me and most things I own function as I wish. But I really do enjoy the 'object' and perhaps I have to admit to feeling a certain tribal security in knowing that others feel the same way. I'm a sucker for a cleverly marketed 'thing' which also looks good. I wish I knew more about computers but my brain really is struggling to juggle the shite that flies through it on a second by second basis so learning more will have to wait.

I have heard of Linux and because of you Gromett I am going to spend the next few hours boffing up on it to see if I can elevate my computer status a tad. But unless you can tell me I can use it on my Air, I doubt I will. Please don't tell me I can as I will have to de-fib my learning gene back into life and that I can't have. Cheers!

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I am not going to do an anti apple post. However this I do have to pull you up on.
1) the anti virus industry does not make the viruses. Criminals do.
2) Apple Systems are not immune to viruses and not having any form of AV is as bad as not immunising your kids. You are going to come a cropper at some time.
3) Apple systems DO crash about the same amount as a well maintained Windows system does.

All three of these statements are fallacies and myths that have been spread by the pro apple camp and have been disproved by independent IT types many times.

If you do just a tiny amount of googling you will find examples easily. Apples do get viruses for example... 2 seconds on google to find this one.

Other than that, The iPads are nice enough, but they don't do anything other tablets can't and they cost a lot more.

I just typed IOS Virus into google and got this interesting article.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57...and-android-are-new-favorite-malware-victims/

I don't have any ios or android devices so haven't followed the malware news closely on them.

That post is not worth the data it is taking up on the server
I have used apple for 4 years now and I mean USE
I have NEVER had an apple computer crash, never had to reset, restart or reinstall
Also I have never had a virus, I have no virus software installed.
They simply do what the say on the box, Work

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Your right, Apple fanatics do get hot under the collar if you dare to denigrate them. :ROFLMAO:

Ian

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Of course, how would I let the steam out of the boiler otherwise. ::bigsmile:

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Of course, how would I let the steam out of the boiler otherwise. ::bigsmile:

Ian

.....Ha Ha!!.....Love those slide outs.......! No, really, I do. Tried to find a Euro wagon that had them that I liked but noooooo. Too fancy over 'ere.

Anyway, this is not getting my fresh sardines grilled on the 'ole barbie mate so gotta dash. Someone please tell me it's going to get warmer in the South? Please??

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
All this talk about computers and ipads and today the guvnor tells me my ElitePad will be arriving some time next month and will make my job a lot easier:RollEyes: i've never seen one let alone use one, my question is how easy are they to use? and can it drive:ROFLMAO:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
You fool follow them
Cases extra wires plugs bits and bats that go with gizmos :cry::cry:
Are are not such a fool sat in van with YOUR card under your bum :winky::winky:
I wonder :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
than

no young sir you misunderstand
ebays the place for cases and screen protectors
both together for about £6-7 odd

people watching with an iphones better than
lady shopping looking at everything :Doh:
move on then back again :cry:drives me to distraction
dont buy anything though :thumb:
sooner go man shopping
ie thats what i want thatll do how much
cheers pal/miss see you again

as for the card hers are mirrors of mine
except for the big purcheses above a[HI] £1.00 [/HI]:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
[HI]yeh in my dreams[/HI]

daughter set her mini pad up and we felt unwanted
know what i mean so we went home

had tea then i was asked to set her mini pad up
new settings update for the mac then load mini on and set up
that required new update settings
i asks whats your apple password dunno
sorts that out
all done says i
oh thanks is it ready to go does it work like the old one
explained subtle differances

thats it excused so i still didnt get a play with it
but my little technofobe hasnt started moaning yet
makes it a winner in my book

ill go back to my pad2 and i mac

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

edit i likes apples products but i also have microsoft ones
stored in the garage for the day me apples dont work

must admit the i pad isnt good in the chat quiz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm NOT looking for an ipad, mini or otherwise, I haven't got anything against them per se except the price!

I already have a 15.6 inch wide-screen laptop and am looking for something smaller to take on holiday abroad - I won't use it that much there as I do in the UK (with my mobile broadband) so don't really want to be dragging it around with me unnecessarily. We have a 10 inch tablet at the moment (can't remember what it is) but I just can't get on with it possibly because I like a 'proper' keyboard being an ex-PA and even though we have a keyboard and case which attaches to the tablet it just isn't the same, and you can't have the keyboard AND a mouse connected at the same time! :Doh:

We did have a netbook before but sold it when I got my laptop as we didn't think we'd need it any more ... :Blush: So, instead I'm looking for a netbook or small laptop/ultra book type thing, nothing too expensive though.

Remember that to use it abroad you will have to find free wifi (McDonalds etc) as the cost of using a UK mobile broadband dongle will be extortionate!:Eeek:

Basically THINK carefully about what you actually NEED it to do and how you will use it, and then do a lot of research so you know what all the jargon etc means, then buy what is appropriate FOR YOU and NOT just what is the 'in thing' at the moment. The screen on the mini is very small (if your eyesight isn't brilliant this could be a negative for you) compared to a lot of tablets of a larger size which are also a lot cheaper and will probably do what you want without a problem - you don't have to spend a lot and can get some really good ones for well under £100! :thumb:

I've just 'won' a Samsung NP-X120 on Ebay and will take it away with me in the van rather than my 15.6" laptop.:Smile:

Link Removed

We seem to have got it for a 'song' as they are selling very similar ones for much more than this on their 'Buy it now' section, and others are selling them at higher prices too. Battery life seems to be 'debatable' but that's not a major issue for me as I'll be using it in the 'van so can plug it in if necessary.

Should get it on Thursday so will report back then as to how I get on with it! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Thanks for all the info but still not made up my mind yet :Smile: Laptop behaving a bit better now think it must have realised it was on way to the skip :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back