Free Member
Jun 8, 2013
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi all,
Been considering if a Motorhome would be a good idea and hired a small 4 berth last summer for a race at Brands Hatch which worked well with the family (bikes and Xbox a real bonus at a race track).

Anyway I've taken the plunge and put a deposit down on a local private Four Winds Hurricane. 6 Berth with a single slide.

First trip is likely to be next weekend as I'm racing at Silverstone and the family will come with me.

I'm a compulsive pointy red car collector so this is as far divorced from my area of expertise as you can get, so any newbie advice or topics you suggest I should read would be great.

Things like:
LPG location poi's for sat-navs
Should I get a truck sat nav .
30ft RV friendly sites (poi?)
What are rules of just finding a place and parking up (did that last time driving up north from Brands when I got tired)
Trailer pulling (likely my racecar on the back)

Basically I want to ensure I don't look like a pillock ATGNI when I pop up at a site.

Other than the brands trip I usually just camp so don't have to think to hard about my trips.

Look forward to knowing how to get the most out of the RV and not just for my racing.

Finally where do you store your RV? Have space on street at home but she is big and neighbours will probably wings after a while.

May even consider somewhere halfway down the country as I suspect most trips will be at least 2 hours south of Newcastle so may be more economical to leave it down there and us a car to pick up and continue the trip.

Oh so many questions buzzing around my head. Dead excited. Even more than the fact I'm using a new racecar next weekend.

when not racing i have two boys 11 and 13 and 3 small lap dogs, so advice on trips would be great. did alton towers hotel last time I raced at Donington which worked for kids so if they have a campsite which are RV friendly that type of thing would be great.

Cheers,
Tris

Last edited:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Things like:
What are rules of just finding a place and parking up (did that last time driving up north from Brands when I got tired)

Welcome to the Forum

Needs an RV owner to answer some of your questions.

If you become a full member you will have access to the downloads section which includes Autogas locations in the UK (and others for other countries).

An outfit of your size (especially with trailer) it is likely you will have to call ahead to see if sites can accommodate you. Perhaps looking at the sister site the RV Owners Club might be of benefit.

As regards just parking up and sleeping overnight, I think you would have to find somewhere quite remote or consider a truck stop.

Trailers - well a lot of MH owners do trail. Sure that will not be a problem.

Steve

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
ukbill is the uk salesamn for this :roflmto:

its the one I'll be getting shortly too...:thumb:

A few guys here have them - good feedback and at £55 ??? no brainer?

Link Removed

The only comment about leaving your RV somewhere - find a storage site with good security...be a bugger if you came to pick it up and it had GONE!! :Eeek::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Hi all,
Been considering if a Motorhome would be a good idea and hired a small 4 berth last summer for a race at Brands Hatch which worked well with the family (bikes and Xbox a real bonus at a race track).

Anyway I've taken the plunge and put a deposit down on a local private Four Winds Hurricane. 6 Berth with a single slide.

First trip is likely to be next weekend as I'm racing at Silverstone and the family will come with me.

I'm a compulsive pointy red car collector so this is as far divorced from my area of expertise as you can get, so any newbie advice or topics you suggest I should read would be great.

Things like:

Basically I want to ensure I don't look like a pillock ATGNI when I pop up at a site.

Other than the brands trip I usually just camp so don't have to think to hard about my trips.

Look forward to knowing how to get the most out of the RV and not just for my racing.

Finally where do you store your RV? Have space on street at home but she is big and neighbours will probably wings after a while.

May even consider somewhere halfway down the country as I suspect most trips will be at least 2 hours south of Newcastle so may be more economical to leave it down there and us a car to pick up and continue the trip.

Oh so many questions buzzing around my head. Dead excited. Even more than the fact I'm using a new racecar next weekend.

when not racing i have two boys 11 and 13 and 3 small lap dogs, so advice on trips would be great. did alton towers hotel last time I raced at Donington which worked for kids so if they have a campsite which are RV friendly that type of thing would be great.

Cheers,
Tris

With the weight of the RV I presume you have the licence for the trainweight of the RV and a car on a trailer, thats one of the things that put me off an RV

OP
OP
N

Nefoc

Free Member
Jun 8, 2013
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll check out those links and spend some time preparing for next weekend. £55 for a sat nav sounds like a bargain, and definitely need to know where I'm going in advance. Will check out my licence position with the trailer. It looked good when I first checked but your comment warrants another look.

May get the mechanic to take it down for this first one. Baby steps probably the safest option.

Cheers,
T

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a couple of things you need to check out.

First is weight, the spec I looked at rates the hurricane at 18000lbs which is over 7500 kg so you will need an HGV (C category) licence.
It could have been downplayed to 16500lbs (7500 kg) which will allow use on a pre 1997 licence using 'grandfather rights or AFTER 1997 if you have past a C1 test.

Secondly...towing weight.
Check the chassis/VIN plate, usually fixed to the door frame or in the wardrobe...this will also confirm the gross weight

If it doesn't state a GCVR (gross combined vehicle rating) you can't legally tow anything at all in the UK or Europe.

The hitch itself has a 5000lbs limit ........around 2250kg.

If you past your test pre 1997 you you will have C1+E with restriction 107 on you licence and are restricted to a maximum train weight (RV and trailer) of just 8250kg.......not a chance of towing a car trailer unfortunately

New C1E test (seperate test) allows a train weight of 12000kg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back