Feb 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
wanting to buy first one
Exp
new to this
Hi everyone :)

I want to buy my first motorhome and hope you nice people will give me some good advice. I need something in which two people can sleep, plus one large dog! I have to have an automatic due to a gammy leg, and I will be using it as my main vehicle too, so it needs to be small. I like the look of the Romahome, but apparently the two-berth comes only with manual transmission. The old-style VW camper also appeals, but they are SO expensive. (I have a maximum budget of 8k.). I know it's a big ask, but I'd be so grateful for your wisdom. It's all because my job requires me to be away overnight from time to time and I have an elderly dog who needs to come with me.

Thanks in advance.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
You could consider a Mazda Bongo/ Ford Freda. The majority of them seem to be automatic. Small enough for everyday use, but can also be camped in.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
something along the lines of a duetto would suit what you list as requirements. plus being based on a ford transit is easy to get parts for and maintain
Broken Link Removed

like this one

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Blaise

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
wanting to buy first one
Exp
new to this
Thanks so much for the quick responses :). Are all those mentioned above insulated, like a Romahome? I wouldn't want the pooch to boil in summer or me to freeze in winter!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
This looks good if it's genuine.

Broken Link Removed

or there's this.

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Will these do, they will convert your vehicle as well as making their own models ... Broken Link Removed

Ah, just noticed your limit, and I can't find any at that price yet, sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Blaise

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
wanting to buy first one
Exp
new to this
Thanks so much for all your replies. You have given me hope!

Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
There's a dealer in Bristol who imports secondhand campers from Japan and his prices are usually well within your budget. He/they advertize a lot on ebay. I'll try and find you a link

Upvote 0

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
I would put your wish list into the eBay search engine and see what pops up.
Not strictly a camper but the Astro day vans are great with an electric bed and are automatic.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Depending on ones level of mechanical competence, the obvious answer is a PVC that is Ford Transit based. Then purchase a second hand auto box from a regular Ford Tranist and fit to the van! It is a very simple job, and even a local mechanic wouldn't charge the earth to fit one!

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
welcome.jpg

Sorry can't help with your specific query, especially as we are so far away but pleased to say "Hello" anyway.
Hope you get sorted soon.
Our first van was a Toyota HiAce and was wonderful. We also had a TownAce which wasn't so good.

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Hi & welcome :)

Sorry I can't help but lots of sound advice above.

The link jonchris put on sounds good :)

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The old VW campers are way overpriced for what they are. By that I mean the T1 and T2's (Splits and Bays). The T3 (square looking van from 79-92) is slightly cheaper and easier to live with, but still an old pain in the arse that likes to rust. Which brings us to the T4, these can be over priced as every floppy haired flip flop botherer that can't afford an older van has taken every ex AA T4, put a billabong sticker in and headed straight for Cornwall. But you can still find decent vans. Are you opposed to LHD? If not the Westfalia vans are great and good ones can be found for under £10k.

Do not ever buy one of those newish Brasilian T2 vans as they are rusting before they get here and for the price you can get a good origonal German built van.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Now that last post by Westy77 makes a load of sense, looks a good van too....

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
my vote is for the transit based PVC. You can get a lot of van for that sort of money.

in fact, you could probably do your own in that sort of budget

I think there are a couple of things you might struggle with a bongo or similar, firstly it is practivally impossible to get a toilet in them let alone a shower and secondly you might struggle to fit a large dog in once the bed is made up. I think you will likely have similar issues with T4 conversions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Blaise

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
wanting to buy first one
Exp
new to this
Well, I've been busy since you last heard from me :). I've checked out various vehicles, including some VW campers, and covered a wide range of ages and prices. What I've not yet managed to do is see any Romahomes, but there's a showroom within about an hour's drive which I hope to get to later this week.

Something that several of you have kindly suggested is to think about what I really need, so I'm going to list that here in case anyone can point me in the right direction. I definitely need an automatic, and it must be sufficiently insulated to be safe to leave the pooch in, whatever the weather. It ideally needs two berths and to still have room for the dog to lie on the floor when the beds are down. (I could probably manage with one berth if all the other boxes were ticked.) It must have a loo or sensible floor space to put a portable one.

Having looked at a number of vans I also now know what I could manage without :). I don't have to have a fridge, a cooker, running water or electricity. The vehicle would not be for holidaying in, but rather when I have to go to conferences requiring an overnight stay - all the luxuries like hot water would be available at the venue - I just need to be able to sleep with my dog and spend a penny if necessary!!

Grateful for any further thoughts.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Still a transit but have you thought where you will park? Depending on the type of conference some places will have height barriers etc. That limits you a lot.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I know this is advertised over budget, and I'm not sure how often the website is updated. But this is what I mean about T4 Westfalia. If it is the thing you like the look of it would be worth contacting Steve the owner and having a chat at least.

http://www.eastfalia.com/detail.aspx?carid=258
Well if he really hasn't sold it in something like 18 months, I'm sure he would be open to offers. :unsure:

But it's not an automatic, so ruled out. Good example of what is possible though. T4 autos are hard to find. Part of the reason for that may be that the T4 auto box has to be one of the worst automatic gearboxes I've ever driven - and that's from someone who loves VW campers & would normally chose an auto over a manual - but not in a T4. :(

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I know of a Duetto which may be coming up for sale in a few weeks time ... they havn't decided yet whether to sell ... It will be for around eight and half thousand.. What part of Hampshire are you in? I will tell them that you may be interested if you like.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Blaise

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
wanting to buy first one
Exp
new to this
Ooh, thanks Movan, but I think I've come to a decision...... I had a look at some Romahome R10s today and I want one!!!! The only problem is the automatic bit - apparently they are few and far between. Any thoughts on where I should look please? Would there be any point in putting out a general shout for one on here?

Of course, if there are loads of reasons why a duetto would be better, I'm all ears! :)

Upvote 0

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
I think you will find the R10 is too small, especially with a big dog!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back