I need your experience (1 Viewer)

Mattie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
Funster No
Hello there. I am VERY new to the motor home experience and, having just bought my new (to me) first ever MH, I will be travelling all the way from London to Newcastle to pick it up at the end of next week, that is at the end of November. Since it is such a long journey, I though to the travel back home leisurely, visiting some places of interest. My plan is to spend Friday night in York. Any recommendations for some one who is clueless but mostly, where can I stay in York city? It is a compact, small MH. Can I park it in any street and go to sleep like a baby? What do you usually do, guys? Just for you to bear in mind that I am a woman travelling alone. Yes, I know, I am mad, but the thrill of the MH experience is stronger than any fears. Many thanks and kind regards. Mattie.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi Mattie
Well without being patronising you are a brave gal.
If i were you I would ask if you can stay at the dealers premises(assuming it is a dealer you are buying off). A lot of them do this and it gives the chance of finding any problems and getting them sorted out.

Until you feel at one with your van I wouldnt suggest stopping at the side of the road just any old place yet. A lot of people do do it and usually without too much bother but you have to know where and when. Some people do, even thought they have no rights in law, take offence to a van being ouitside their place. And you may get played up by the local youth if they find out you are on your own.

If you wish to joing the caravan club you may be able to stay on their club site in the centre of york and its a 10-15 min walk from the site to the centre. You can also stay on the racecourse. The caravan club has many sites not too far from major towns.

You will have to sort out gas bottles if you havent already as they are not usually supplied with vans - 2 small ones are better than one big un.

Good luck and shout up if you need any other advice

Phill

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome!!

See Pm. Perhaps you can make the mersea island meet next weekend (27 Nov)which will not be too far from you??

happy motoring,
S.:thumb:

PS, just seen the post above. Totally agree with the two gas bottles. I have 2 small ones (red bottles) , easy to carry, which are joined with a T piece, so if it runs out, I just turn one off and the other on, without having to change regulators.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mattie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
Funster No
thanks

Thank you very much. I appreciate your advice. Thanks a lot.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Mattie,

As Phil says, stay local for a couple of days until you have throroughly familiarised yourself with the van and sorted any niggles out.

Peter

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Mattie.

WELCOME to MH Fun:thumb::thumb:

Sound advice from Phill and Peter could save a lot of problems and a return trip, not really needed this time of year.

See a few more lone ladies about now, all seem to get on well, always a motorhomer around if you are stuck, most of us are friendly and willing to help, just use common sense.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

crindle

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
York Racecourse.

If you wish to joing the caravan club you may be able to stay on their club site in the centre of york and its a 10-15 min walk from the site to the centre. You can also stay on the racecourse.
Phill

Hi......note with interest your reference to York Racecourse site. We have attempted several times to stay at the CC Rowtree Park without success. On exiting York recently we noticed a brown sign to York Racecourse Caravan Site, seems ideal quite close to York centre. Do you have any experience of what they offer ?........Crindle.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
York

Hi Crindle - we are booked to stay at the York Racecourse this Friday and Saturday night, (Weather permitting) it is a temporary site for the weekend run by the Caravan and Camping Club £14 for 2 nights without Elec. I don,t know about canping any other times.
I rang the Caravan Club site at Rowntree for this weekend they have had lots of cancellations but are not taking bookings as they are "Waiting to be flooded" :whatthe:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mattie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for your comments, guys. Keep them coming.

I hope the weather is bettter the last weekend in November, which is when I am up the North to pick up my MH. Worried about the flooding expectations, though, as it miight affect that area, not just the CC site.

One more question. Where do I get my gas bottles from? As I said, I am totally new to this.
:Doh:
Mattie

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Mattie

If picking up from a dealer he should be able to supply and fit for you, don't forget you want Red bottles for winter use, they don't freeze like the blue can.
If not am sure he will know where to get some local to him.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back