LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Also bear in mind weigh bridges are designed to weigh 40 tonner's and are calibrated at 17-18 tonnes, the tolerance is -50, +50 kg, so if you weigh on one that is on the bottom tolerance and get stopped and their one is on top tolerance, you could be shown to be 100kg more than you thought.

Now with that bit of info guys, make sure you are at least a 100 kg under.:eek::eek::eek: - On BOTH axles.o_Oo_Oo_O

Not true at all. Refuse sites weigh anything from fiesta vans upward @ 10kg increments and are checked regularly.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I use the one at a local transport company / freight haulage. They are very helpful and will do either axle and the complete vehicle. The lady in the office calls it a "full tare" and says we are the only motorhome they do but it makes a change. It is a flat plate bridge. I put money into the coffee fund in exchange for the print out.

Might be worth a phone call to a local haulage company? Less chance of scrap in the tyres.

Oh, several farms have them as well but are not always open to the public - and I am not sure just how accurate they would be. :)

Last edited:
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Not true at all. Refuse sites weigh anything from fiesta vans upward @ 10kg increments and are checked regularly.
Could be true,,, if the original post was talking about a dynamic bridge. You would be correct of you are talking about a plate bridge.

Dynamic bridges used by DVSA (previously VOSA) are calibrated every 6 months by Trading Standards. Contrary to a previous post, they are calibrated using three different vehicles 1 - a two axle rigid of around 16-18 tonnes, 2 a multi-axled rigid (3 or 4 axles) and 3 - an articulated. Each does 9 runs down the weighbridge with three to the extreme left, three to the extreme right and three s near to the centre line as possible. This is followed by another run t some speed to ensure that the overspeed function works to declare a no valid weigh. Each of the weighings has to be recorded to a tolerance of plus or minus 50 kgs.

If you have been directed to a weighbridge for the purposes of weighing, you can only claim compensation if you have been directed more than 5 miles from your intended route and then, only if the enforcement officer can find absolutely nothing wrong with the driver or the vehicle. He only needs to find something to warn you about and your claim for compensation is lost!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree not true +/- 50kg only applies to a plate weighbridge for a Dynamic one it is +/- 150Kg and portable ones they often use for road side check it is +/- 100 kg.:)

Link to code of practice for weighbridges.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I use the one at a local transport company / freight haulage. They are very helpful and will do either axle and the complete vehicle. The lady in the office calls it a "full tare" and says we are the only motorhome they do but it makes a change. It is a flat plate bridge. I put money into the coffee fund in exchange for the print out.

Might be worth a phone call to a local haulage company? Less chance of scrap in the tyres.

Oh, several farms have them as well but are not always open to the public - and I am not sure just how accurate they would be. :)
thanks for the advice, I am taking my MH to the truck FIAT dealer first, some can supposedly read the weight on the rolling road tester, I might see if they can do that first!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Can't see that as they would have to be checked/tested same as anything else by the weights & measures.
Anyway if they won't accept it weigh it then . That's all I'd say.
Not knocking it mate, but there was a piece on the telly some months ago, about how some motorway service stations are fitting them on their forecourts. The message was 'for a general guide only'. Maybe this sort of thing would be the answer, depending on price.

http://www.air-weigh.co.uk/lcv-s.html

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I phoned the guy at shieldhall recycling depot, Which is now open, but they can only do the whole vehicle, which is OK as I can't find a scrappie who can do the axles either :(

Nicholson on Balmore road told my wife that they could do the 3 weights and give you the printout.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not knocking it mate, but there was a piece on the telly some months ago, about how some motorway service stations are fitting them on their forecourts. The message was 'for a general guide only'. Maybe this sort of thing would be the answer, depending on price.

http://www.air-weigh.co.uk/lcv-s.html

Yes Firms I dealt with 20 years back started fitting on board weighers to there trucks as filling with feed it was easy to overload & then having to tip some out.

Could be true,,, if the original post was talking about a dynamic bridge. You would be correct of you are talking about a plate bridge.

Dynamic bridges used by DVSA (previously VOSA) are calibrated every 6 months by Trading Standards. Contrary to a previous post, they are calibrated using three different vehicles 1 - a two axle rigid of around 16-18 tonnes, 2 a multi-axled rigid (3 or 4 axles) and 3 - an articulated. Each does 9 runs down the weighbridge with three to the extreme left, three to the extreme right and three s near to the centre line as possible. This is followed by another run t some speed to ensure that the overspeed function works to declare a no valid weigh. Each of the weighings has to be recorded to a tolerance of plus or minus 50 kgs.

If you have been directed to a weighbridge for the purposes of weighing, you can only claim compensation if you have been directed more than 5 miles from your intended route and then, only if the enforcement officer can find absolutely nothing wrong with the driver or the vehicle. He only needs to find something to warn you about and your claim for compensation is lost!

Trouble is +/- 150 kgs as a % of a 44000kg truck is negligible at approx. 0,3 of 1%. It is only 1% on a 16 tonner. Whereas it is approximately 6% of the weight of my vehicle which is a ridiculous amount . Even the +/-50kgs on a plate is 2% .
Not a lot of point having an 100kg overweight "allowance" without prosecution, when the machinery isn't capable of weighing with a reasonable accuracy.
In fact the accuracy appears to have got worse as I'm sure the avery Berkel bridge where I subbed had an accuracy of +/-25kgs years ago ?
I normally weigh mine at 3 different weighbridges . 2 are builders merchants that I use & are free & then I go to the pay weighbridge so I get the weighbridge tickets ( Which Trafico will take as Guaranteed weights ) & I have yet to have a discrepancy between the 3 bridges of a few kilos.

We are fortunate here in that we have weighbridges at every builders merchants , in most villages. I can probably find 2 dozen within a 5km radius of my house.(y)

Deleted User
Yes Firms I dealt with 20 years back started fitting on board weighers to there trucks as filling with feed it was easy to overload & then having to tip some out.

Trouble is +/- 150 kgs as a % of a 44000kg truck is negligible at approx. 0,3 of 1%. It is only 1% on a 16 tonner. Whereas it is approximately 6% of the weight of my vehicle which is a ridiculous amount . Even the +/-50kgs on a plate is 2% .
Not a lot of point having an 100kg overweight "allowance" without prosecution, when the machinery isn't capable of weighing with a reasonable accuracy.
In fact the accuracy appears to have got worse as I'm sure the avery Berkel bridge where I subbed had an accuracy of +/-25kgs years ago ?
I normally weigh mine at 3 different weighbridges . 2 are builders merchants that I use & are free & then I go to the pay weighbridge so I get the weighbridge tickets ( Which Trafico will take as Guaranteed weights ) & I have yet to have a discrepancy between the 3 bridges of a few kilos.

We are fortunate here in that we have weighbridges at every builders merchants , in most villages. I can probably find 2 dozen within a 5km radius of my house.(y)

The allowances are per axle on a dynamic axle weighbridge so on a six axle 44t set up that is 900k or 2% but on a 2 axle 3.5t motorhome is around 8.6%.
I have looked on the DVSA site for fixed penalties related to overloading and they seem a little strange to me considering the inaccuracies that they work with.

I doubt very much that weights and measures/trading standards would allow such inaccuracies.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
The allowances are per axle on a dynamic axle weighbridge so on a six axle 44t set up that is 900k or 2% but on a 2 axle 3.5t motorhome is around 8.6%.
I have looked on the DVSA site for fixed penalties related to overloading and they seem a little strange to me considering the inaccuracies that they work with.

I doubt very much that weights and measures/trading standards would allow such inaccuracies.
Exactly .& it increases with even lighter weight mh's.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
C&C supplies builders merchants at Garstang have a public weighbridge and its on the A6 that runs parallel to M6 so it's not out of your way at all.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Any weighbridge ticket is only valid for the journey on which the vehicle is on and then only until the weight has been changed by either loading or offloading or a combination of both. For our purposes with motorhomes, sure it provides some guidance but you cannot look at it as a "get out of jail card".

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
It shouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to have a scale accurate to within a few kgs in this day & age when you can weigh fowl on a moving line at the rate of 4 per second, at an average weight of 4 kilos & with an accuracy of +/- 5 grams ? I mean 150kgs ?
Good Lord you wouldn't want to be paying by the kg with scales that inaccurate.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
The tolerance is little to do with alleged innacuracies, rather it is to ensure that there is litle room for argument once the case goes to court. I have heard many an attempt to persuade magistartes that the nature of the moving vehicle and its compensating axle arrangements, loss of/gain of weight through detritus that the vehicle is travelling has made the difference to an extent that it has put a "legal" vehicle overweight. 50 kgs accuracy when we are considering 44 tonnes seems pretty fair to me especially in th elight of the degree of accuracy required whilst calibrating the bridge

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Yes ,50kgs @ 44tonnes is perfectly acceptable but the same @ 2,3 or 3,5 tonnes isn't. The % when used on a 3,5T M/home ,as I alluded to in an earlier post is ,enormous at nearly 15 times the % of the truck.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Can someone can help me out, looking for a weighbridge (never used one before) drawn a blank so far in Glasgow, with dead internet links and its not clear whats open on the council list in Glasgow, some phone numbers are dead and some never answered. The only ones I can find that might be open are waste management weighbridges in any case, will they be able to do individual axle weights??
I am Driving down to Birmingham via the A74/ M6 route can anyone suggest any weighbridges along that route ??? Hopefully before any VOSA ones!!
thanks (y)

W H Malcolm (hauliers) have a weighbridge in their yard on South Street but whether they will do "homers"? They may also have one in their yard at Linwood which I think may be closer to you but again, "homers"?
Bardon(?) Aggregates further along South Street said they would do ours last year but never got round to it.
Believe Imperial Commercials (in behind Shieldhall Recycling Centre) may have one but that was third hand.
Let me know how you get on as will be looking to do ours shortly.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
W H Malcolm (hauliers) have a weighbridge in their yard on South Street but whether they will do "homers"? They may also have one in their yard at Linwood which I think may be closer to you but again, "homers"?
Bardon(?) Aggregates further along South Street said they would do ours last year but never got round to it.
Believe Imperial Commercials (in behind Shieldhall Recycling Centre) may have one but that was third hand.
Let me know how you get on as will be looking to do ours shortly.
Thanks for the info, the plan is I am going to imperial for an intermediate service so will find out for sure and will go to Shieldhall if they can't do it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
W
Thanks for the info, the plan is I am going to imperial for an intermediate service so will find out for sure and will go to Shieldhall if they can't do it.

Will probably be taking ours for service at Imperial in March so, if they have got one, might get it done at same time as we'll be loaded for trip down south. Do you know if Imperial do MOTs? Needing that done as well. Or where do you get yours done?

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I have not had to get an MOT here, but I think it's going to be limited. I will ask for you at Imperial.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Ta
You've changed your avatar. Still trying to figure it out.:confused:
PS do they do cooker hobs as well?:whistle::giggle:
Haynes manual for the millennium falcon, easier to get hold of than one for a x290 FIAT.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Any weighbridge ticket is only valid for the journey on which the vehicle is on and then only until the weight has been changed by either loading or offloading or a combination of both. For our purposes with motorhomes, sure it provides some guidance but you cannot look at it as a "get out of jail card".

I'm not sure the OP wants or expects his MoHo to be weighed and then be able to wave the ticket in any authorities face if pulled.
I put everything into ours that we would normally take away with us including clothes, food, water, empty waste both grey and black. 3/4 tank of fuel and off to the weighbridge. I know my wife's weight so just added it. I was within limits but not by much which was fine if I wanted to exchange wine for water for instance ;)

It shouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to have a scale accurate to within a few kgs in this day & age when you can weigh fowl on a moving line at the rate of 4 per second, at an average weight of 4 kilos & with an accuracy of +/- 5 grams ? I mean 150kgs ?
Good Lord you wouldn't want to be paying by the kg with scales that inaccurate.

Totally correct, but there is no need to and it would be very expensive. Our scales at work are accurate to 10kgs and that is deemed by the powers that be accurate enough. (y)

Jan 27, 2014
Herts
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2014, changed our MH 4 years ago
C&C supplies builders merchants at Garstang have a public weighbridge and its on the A6 that runs parallel to M6 so it's not out of your way at all.
Thanks for mentioning this place. I was finding it impossible to work out where public Weighbridge are. The gov.Uk webpage just sends you to local authorities which then don’t have any information. As we were travelling to the lakes we just popped in a short detaour off the m6. Fortunately we were just under weight!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back