I Need a Good Mechanic in Algave (1 Viewer)

Jan 15, 2009
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC B690
Exp
Since 2009
:shout:Hi Chaps... HELP...Can anyone recommend a decent garage here int he Algarve. Lagos region who are capable of whipping out, repairing and or replacing my alternator before it cooks another three leisure batteries. Fiat Ducato chassis.

Obrigardo

Last edited:

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
Garage

I brought a Portugal News back with me a couple of weeks ago and there is an advert for car repair. The telephone is 282 799 263 mobile 918 526 950. Tyres R Us, Lagos. It might be worth a try.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Its not really in the Lagos region but I have heard several people speak well of a guy near Pingo Doce in Tavira.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I brought a Portugal News back with me a couple of weeks ago and there is an advert for car repair. The telephone is 282 799 263 mobile 918 526 950. Tyres R Us, Lagos. It might be worth a try.

Crikey, can't get better than that:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:shout:Hi Chaps... HELP...Can anyone recommend a decent garage here int he Algarve. Lagos region who are capable of whipping out, repairing and or replacing my alternator before it cooks another three leisure batteries. Fiat Ducato chassis.

Obrigardo

How sure are you that it is the alternator ?

Home come the starter battery survived ?

You must me doing massive mileages to cook 3 leisure batteries I'd have thought.

OP
OP
L
Jan 15, 2009
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC B690
Exp
Since 2009
How sure are you that it is the alternator ?

Home come the starter battery survived ?

You must me doing massive mileages to cook 3 leisure batteries I'd have thought.

Hi Brian,
I'm not sure if the alternator is over charging now.
Good question ref starter battery!!!:thumb: I traveled approx 11,000 miles on my first 3mth. trip. Batteries were topped up before leaving

I was told on good authority a voltage of 13.8v should be the max charging input rate for a battery. The Burstner operating manual also stipulates this as being the correct charging voltage. Then goes on to say.. a Voltage of 14.6volts ...
Quote... "Battery is being over charged: Alternator controller defective"

The manufacturers of my new batteries suggest a charge voltage of 13.5 volts !!!

I have since spoken to a technical department at a commercial fiat dealership, who tell me anything up 14.8v is acceptable. A UK based Burstner service company also suggested 14.7v was acceptable and that ....there is no additional regulation between the alternator and leisure batteries on my van.

At 2,000 rpm my alternator is generating 14.6volt I suspect it always has done so,

I would be interested to know if anyone has checked the charging voltage on their Fiat based MH.

Boa Tarde

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
sounds to me like you actually need an auto-electrician
been a few years but the one opposite the old co-op shop in the street beside the market in Faro was very good ,street heads towards the football ground

btw , as it is now dark , hence no charge from solar panels , have fired up my fiat based hymer and it reads

13.5 volts to engine battery
13.4 volts to twin leisure batteries

of course when the solar is up and running that can go up to 15 volts , but the amperage is low of course

and bear in mind my batteries are fairly full after a bright sunny day

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back