Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We have the tall dometic fridge freezer so the freezer is quite large but still very tight for a month or so in France. Our problem is bacon, which is near impossible to get there. An 8 rasher pack dos us as little as two days so need about 30 packs. We do repack it in freezer bags which lets us get more in, and a trip into Spain can allow stocks to be replenished. Swmbo is allergic to eggs so limits breakfast possibilities as neither would go for the empty carbs that the French like.
We get the butcher to vacuum pack our bacon so no need to freeze. Keeps for weeks and weeks. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't be sorry! I think you have given the most useful reply so far. Fresh food will keep in the fridge for several days anyway and won't involve using loads of battery power or gas. Simples.
BUT ICE CREAM WON'T!!!! Aaaargghhhhh .... When we're in the middle of no-where and it's hot ... I WANT ICE CREAM!!!!!!! :crying:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have the tall dometic fridge freezer so the freezer is quite large but still very tight for a month or so in France. Our problem is bacon, which is near impossible to get there. An 8 rasher pack dos us as little as two days so need about 30 packs. We do repack it in freezer bags which lets us get more in, and a trip into Spain can allow stocks to be replenished. Swmbo is allergic to eggs so limits breakfast possibilities as neither would go for the empty carbs that the French like.
I don't really understand this ... bacon comes prepacked with long dates, more than a month certainly, so why do you freeze it????

Also, you can actually get 'proper' bacon in a lot of French supermarkets now and it's not always that expensive either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't really understand this ... bacon comes prepacked with long dates, more than a month certainly, so why do you freeze it????

Also, you can actually get 'proper' bacon in a lot of French supermarkets now and it's not always that expensive either.
I can only speak from my own experience. Our bacon from Morrisons has only about 2weeks shelflife and I have never found any in France. Perhaps we go to the wrong supermarkets, swmbo likes Leclerc.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I can only speak from my own experience. Our bacon from Morrisons has only about 2weeks shelflife and I have never found any in France. Perhaps we go to the wrong supermarkets, swmbo likes Leclerc.
Morrisons must be buying it cheap then if it only lasts 2 weeks! :rolleyes:

Try Lidl, they definitely do it, both here and abroad.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back