I love my old Hymer! (1 Viewer)

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
HCI membership application printed, cheque for November, December 2025 plus annual 2016 plus admin/joining fee prepared. Will post on my way to work.

Clive

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Somebody has just said that I will need power steering. It's not very likely on a Hymer G reg is it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
My 540 DS does not have power steering. Made in 1982 with an x suffix. I drove her over 730 miles in just over a 24 hour period. The big steering wheel makes manoeuvering fairly straight forward. I am maturing but fit. Most important thing I can think of is a rear view camera if you are alone like me with noone to watch you back.

Clive

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Is AIB any good for insurance and breakdown recovery or would RAC be better?

I'm having trouble find the weight of the 64. Any ideas?

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@bichonsthree dont know about AIB but just for information, we insure our van with C and CC and for £309 per annum (renewed last week) get fully comp plus full UK and Europe wide breakdown cover on a stated van value of £35k. Sorry can't help with the van weight but isn't it on the vin plate or the V40. Ours has a plate by the Hab door with the weight data on it. Gary

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do you think the S670 is a better model?

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ah because seller claims the Camp64 was built on the original cab and that rust can be a problem particularly in the overhead bunk

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ah because seller claims the Camp64 was built on the original cab and that rust can be a problem particularly in the overhead bunk

I prefer the A class Hymers.. example is the S670 .. what is generally called an A class but Hymer call it an S Class o_O

and it can be confusing with Hymers.. A , S , B, E class , Starline, but have a look here.. a list of all the Hymer models , the Camp coachbuilts are the last on the list.

digest all this and you become a Hymer model expert.. :LOL:..

http://web.archive.org/web/20100706162748/http://www.dmiuk.com/sale_hylay.php

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
I must admit I am going off this idea. We had an overhead van once which rocked like a boat when driving and I'm guessing this might be the case with the Camp 64. The S670 is automatic, drop down bed over cab but he wants £15K which is too much for a G reg, I think and out of my budget. But it is the layout I want.

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Are the following extras or do they come with a Hymer S class? 5-5 Mtr awning, Solar panel, Tow bar and m/c carrier,under slung gas tank, inverter, S/S exhaust, S/S wheel trims, radio, amp, Status digital Antenna and booster, Levellers , vent covers , hookup cable ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Are the following extras or do they come with a Hymer S class? 5-5 Mtr awning, Solar panel, Tow bar and m/c carrier,under slung gas tank, inverter, S/S exhaust, S/S wheel trims, radio, amp, Status digital Antenna and booster, Levellers , vent covers , hookup cable ?

All are 'extras' except perhaps the radio which will probably have been upgraded to one without radio valves.. :LOL:

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
There is a much newer Hymer turned up locally but it is also a lot more money. Do you think it is worth pushing the boat out? Or am I just paying a lot more for a newer model
Hymer BC655 Classic

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Need more info.. do you have the advert link .. or the year, price etc

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hymer BC655 Classic - 2005 - £29,995

Hymer BC655 Classic - 2005, 2 Owners, 46838 Miles, 4/6 Berth, 4 Belted Seats

A fabulous clean and stunning example, can only really be described as being A1 mint for the year and fully loaded to the brim with extras.

RHD, drives superb with plenty of power available from its Fiat based, 2.8 JTD engine and 5 speed gearbox.

A favoured layout of rear fixed french bed and overcab bed, comfortably sleeping four with 4 belted seat belts and a further double if needed in the lounge.

A spacious lounge and oodles of useful internal and external locker storage, really does make this a very desirable motorhome.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This one .. Broken Link Removed

MOT History can be checked here Broken Link Removed

latest one
Registration number: PO55AFF

Mileage readings are currently only available for MOTs done from 1 August 2011.
  • Vehicle make FIAT
  • Vehicle model DUCATO
  • Date first used 1 September 2005
  • Fuel type Diesel
  • Colour White

MOT history of this vehicle
  • Test date 3 August 2015
  • Expiry date 1 September 2016
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 17,973 miles
  • MOT test number 7757 8561 5294

We looked at Hymers with this layout and they very spacious, I like the French bed and bathroom with separate shower.. .. but we wanted a garage so we have a transverse fixed bed and a smaller bathroom... all is compromise..

Looks a very nice clean and tidy Hymer,.. price looks about right.. if it suits you and it's in budget.. why not ?

certainly worth a viewing..

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes it looks lovely - my query is whether it is better to go for a newer model or am I paying over the odds for features which are in the S670 or similar - according to the Hymer classic group the older ones are better, sturdier and the same other than being a lot older. I can't quite believe it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes it looks lovely - my query is whether it is better to go for a newer model or am I paying over the odds for features which are in the S670 or similar - according to the Hymer classic group the older ones are better, sturdier and the same other than being a lot older. I can't quite believe it

no doubt said by those with older Merc Hymers.. :LOL:

yes, the older ones are well built.. so too are the newer models..there is more to 'age' than just looks.. for example.. up to date models have modern and more economical diesel engines.. more modern fridges and heating units..

It's all about budget and personal preferences.. some people like the 'rero' look of the old Hymers.. they want to buy a Hymer as a hobby , to refurbish and show at meets and shows.. and join the Classic Hymer Group.. ;)

.. nowt wrong with that... are you into DIY and refurbishing , new upholstery, etc.. do you like the 'retro' look.. or just want drive off and use.. ?

Lots to consider..

As an aside..
You will probably get more advice if you start a new thread about the proposed purchase..
after a while a lot of people stop reading the same thread

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back