Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I can say with a fair degree of confidence that almost every Hymer owner would agree

That's interesting. Is it because Hymers are simply a much better build quality? Obviously they have quite a following. What makes them so attractive and why just the old ones?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's interesting. Is it because Hymers are simply a much better build quality? Obviously they have quite a following. What makes them so attractive and why just the old ones?

I can't talk for everyone.. but IMO.. yes .. Not just the old ones.. mine is 14 years old .. a mere younster in the Hymer world.

they are a far better built quality, particulary the old ones.. and newer ones up to around 2006. can't really comment on ones later than this.. some have said that after 2006 Hymer quaility took a dive for a few years but is now back on track.. but that is just hearsay

Solid wood trim.. no mdf or chipboard.. quality laminates.. no wood in the frame to rot.. they use a construction method called PUAL , Polyurethane - Aluminium , so even if a leak develops, it's not going to do any serious harm...but you really need to look at one to appreciate ..

some call them dull and dated.. for me that is one of the attractions.. like a fine wine..

. they have a huge following.. If interested, there is a FB group callled The Classic Hymer Group.. barely a year old with over 1,000 members..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for explaining Jim. Again out of interest, the Hymer group have a number of brands - are they all similarly cherished as they age?

We've only looked at the new Hymers... The Duomobil was one we were seriously considering. It was well made and had some very good features.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I looked around a 2007 B544 earlier this year just to have a look to see if there was any truth in the quality issues I have also heard about. I pulled and pushed on things, opened stuff up and generally had a good look around. The next I knew from this "just lets have a look" had us talking about a trade in! It was £31000 for a low mileage LHD model, which is a very good price. Someone beat us to it whilst I was haggling for the best deal!

11059525_867813546644092_1618628734354471404_o.jpg 11800597_867813443310769_2146647367269836195_n.jpg

I started this thread earlier this year because I was impressed that a relatively old van could have gone through two MOT's without any significant issues, just a bit of nitpicking! It's just gone through another service and straight through the MOT, done a little early due to us heading off to Spain in a few weeks. As Jim says, look at some of the vans on the Classic Hymer FB group and you can see how they seem to go on forever :).

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You need @Tootles he has a Camp 64 as in earlier post in this thread and will surely be able to give some good pointers.
I bought my first moho (B544) in February this year and feel lucky to have dropped on such a good solid vehicle. Love every minute I spend in it !!!

I think @yodeli also has one.

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ohh how do I get their attention! I guess they need to be watching this board.

Any ideas for insurance? If it is very old does it even need to be taxed?

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just found the registration - it's a G reg!! Must be about 30 years old

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've just found the registration - it's a G reg!! Must be about 30 years old

with a prefix G reg plate, it will have first been registered between 1st August 1989 and 31st July 1990.
This means the it will be approximately 26 years old... so it's a true Classic.. :)

don't be put off..there are many older ones still on the road (y)

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok thanks, it doesn't come up with any vehicle details on the Govt site but I presume it probably isn't MOT'd as I can see they have bought a newer van

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Our 1992 Hymer Camp 64 is BRILL!!! Love it to death, love driving it, and we feel very safe and secure with it. :):)

View attachment 52471

Oh Gosh! I thought it was Max when I looked at the pic!
Mine is a bit shorter: 5,55metres
And I do love it to bits!!!!
20140313_183439.jpg

@bichonsthree Mine has rust, no doubt it has been carefully hidden as we never saw it when we (JJ and I) went to Germany to buy it. I do not know how long I'll be able to pass French MOT. I'll do my best to have it looked after. Chassis seems ok, it is only an added metal beam at the rear of the van which is totally rotten. And ...part of the grey water tank is fixed onto this beam. So will have to change this one way or the other. The wheels arches have holes inside..... boohoo! Do look carefully UNDER the van with a good torch!
Since I bought it, I've had very few engine problems. First in Spain I had a metal hose leak, the hose going to the radiator. Spanish mechanic sorted it out within an hour and then very little things such as windscreen washing liquid leaking (still does now and then when the hose goes away from its place!) and Brake liquid had to be topped up. Obviously there is a tiny winy leak but sometimes it stops.... very puzzling said the mechanic!
I had many other problems but not due to the age or to Hymer trade but to bl***y rodents! So I won't put it on Hymer by all means.

Another thing to look at (we haven't!) is the date of the tyres make, printed on the side of them . Had I had looked at it, I wouldn't have had this puncture problem last summer. Dozens of small holes along the side of the tyre. Had to change both rear tyres as they were both 2004!!!!!!
Apart from this, I recently had a huge leak coming from an old seal around antenna, water running on the floor....it looked a total disaster.
As I look carefully for any single little sign of rodents presence every day, I have spotted the leak very quickly. Got the van to the dealer the following day, and it will have no bad consequences.
I love my old Hymer too, and don't want to swap it!! If I only could manage the expenses I would send it back to Hymer to have all the rusted parts re made by them!!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

PS forgot to say it had 170000 kms on the clock, so yours is a very youngish one!!!

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ok thanks, it doesn't come up with any vehicle details on the Govt site but I presume it probably isn't MOT'd as I can see they have bought a newer van

try different makes.. did you try Talbot ?

it should be there whether the MOT is current or not.
or post the reg here and I'll try to find

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Yodeli and ScotJimland

G552 LWP

Could it be a rust bucket? It does look such a beast!! Not sure how difficult MOTs are to pass with this sort of vehicle.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Same here, and ours is coming up for 16 years old.(y)

I get severe withdrawal symptoms if more than a fortnight of not using her, (the MH that is ;) ).

Cheers,

Jock.View attachment 53492
We are thinking of selling our Autosleeper to raise a bit of cash for our French house. Renovation budget is getting seriously depleted!
So, we have been looking around at older vans and Hymers seem to be plentiful and even the older ones look pretty good. We saw a nice B745 and the bonus was, it was LHD and the right price to enable us to have a nice van and some nice cash!
But, it seems there have been a lot of threads about problems with Hymers. Are there any specific problems with the B745? If we bought it, we would miss out on quite a few features we have in our own van, so the rest would have to be very good indeed.
We have had a look at quite a few German vans, but worry they seem a bit, er, how can I put this without offending any Hymer/ Burstner owners, flimsy inside compared to ours.

bichonsthree

Free Member
Nov 1, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp 64
Exp
I'm a newbie
How about taxing and insurance? If it is very old presumably it doesn't need a tax disk? I usually use NFU but I expect they are not the cheapest

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
A large garage is vital for me, how many vans with a U-shaped lounge get a Garage, let alone one this size.....watch the video and observe the slide-outs in the garage for Bikes etc.
The slide outs for bikes etc will cost you over 2000 pounds extra if not already fitted .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Yodeli and ScotJimland

G552 LWP

Could it be a rust bucket? It does look such a beast!! Not sure how difficult MOTs are to pass with this sort of vehicle.

I can't find it either.. you would need to call to find out..
  • Phone:
    0300 790 6802
MOT is the same for a motorhome as it is for a private car , same test..same standards.
Group 4 I believe

so back to your dilemma ..
ask the seller about the MOT and walk away if it doesn't have one or they won't put through a test ..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It is in there as a Peugeot . Taxed until 1st jan next year & mot due 29th of this month.

Here it is.
https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Vehicle details
  • Vehicle make PEUGEOT
  • Date of first registration 04 November 2003
  • Year of manufacture 1989
  • Cylinder capacity (cc) 2482cc
  • CO₂Emissions Not available
  • Fuel type DIESEL
  • Vehicle status Tax not due
  • Vehicle colour WHITE
  • Vehicle type approval Not available