Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I often look at some newer models and think..."that's nice". And the older she gets I sometimes think .."maybe it's time to look for something else" (n) The motorhome that is, not the wife!

But the old lady has just sailed through another service and MOT without as much as a single advisory for the second year running (y)

Not bad for a 13 year old Hymer B544 Classic on a Fiat set up! Feeling very pleased! :)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Great news! The old vans seem to have been made to last. Our old girl is 21 this year. Just given her new carpets, so she is looking very smart. Initially we had loads of problems with her (bought in 2010) but she is now very trustworthy and we would not want to change her. First owner had her for 5 years, second owner 11 years and we are coming up to 5 years.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I feel the same about my Geist Spirit, I fancy changing but I'm afraid to get rid of a vehicle that just keeps going with no problems.

I service it and maintain it, it repays in spades, I really want twin single beds and I'm taken with the Hymer duomobile but £108,000 with no extras is an awful lot of money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Great news! The old vans seem to have been made to last. Our old girl is 21 this year. Just given her new carpets, so she is looking very smart. Initially we had loads of problems with her (bought in 2010) but she is now very trustworthy and we would not want to change her. First owner had her for 5 years, second owner 11 years and we are coming up to 5 years.

21 years that's remarkable, in Hymer years that makes ours still in her teens! We feel the same about changing her, she was our first motorhome, aquired when we retired. All our motorhoming memories so far are with this vehicle, all good ones. It would be difficult to part with our 'Harry' .

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I feel the same about my Geist Spirit, I fancy changing but I'm afraid to get rid of a vehicle that just keeps going with no problems.

I service it and maintain it, it repays in spades, I really want twin single beds and I'm taken with the Hymer duomobile but £108,000 with no extras is an awful lot of money.

That's a nice vehicle, twin beds that drop down over the cab and a nice rear lounge...takes some beating!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
yes.. eye watering .. I just had to go and look ... very imaginative concept.. beautiful van..

A large garage is vital for me, how many vans with a U-shaped lounge get a Garage, let alone one this size.....watch the video and observe the slide-outs in the garage for Bikes etc.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Our 1992 Hymer Camp 64 is BRILL!!! Love it to death, love driving it, and we feel very safe and secure with it. :):)

hymer1.JPG

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I often look at some newer models and think..

Generally we think "looks good but on the whole no significant improvement on what we have, which is 11 this year.

Looking around the Manchester show last week many/most of the new ones were either much longer or worse for lounge space because of the trend for fixed beds. So we continue to climb the ladder to a huge bed that takes up no room at all.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ours is 13 years old , had it for 10years it's just the same now as when we bought it, goes along beautifully, can't see any reason to change it even if we could.

And having had the pleasure of sitting in it I know that there is nothing new that would exceed what you have within the same length.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Same here 12 years old now we've had it 4 & 1/2 and done 45000 miles and its perfect in fact its the best van we've ever owned much much better than the 08/09 we had which was virtually brand new at the time.

£108'000.00 for a van :eek::eek: we bought a lovely 2 bedroom house this week for £95'000.00 and missed a 3 bedroom bungalow which went for £105'000.00. The worlds gone bloody mad :) when a glorified caravan sell for more than a house.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ours will be 12 years old in May. Passed its MoT 3 weeks ago (though our mechanic advised that we needed a new front pipe on the exhaust (which is a consumable really). Habitation service on Monday will, hopefully, find nothing untoward and we can set off on another year of enjoyment :) Not bad when we bought it as a stopgap 3 years ago after being Asda'd :D

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Same here 12 years old now we've had it 4 & 1/2 and done 45000 miles and its perfect in fact its the best van we've ever owned much much better than the 08/09 we had which was virtually brand new at the time.

£108'000.00 for a van :eek::eek: we bought a lovely 2 bedroom house this week for £95'000.00 and missed a 3 bedroom bungalow which went for £105'000.00. The worlds gone bloody mad :) when a glorified caravan sell for more than a house.
It might not be as bad if you could actually SEE £108.000 in one. NOTHING on wheels is worth that much. I was talking to this guy with a brand new 'Whatever' last year on a site in Dorset. "Are you thinking of buying a new MH", he asked. When I said 'why'? he commented that ours was 'pretty old'. Not chuffed when I said that not only would ours go anywhere his would, but that it was fully paid for..........:)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
But the old lady has just sailed through another service and MOT without as much as a single advisory for the second year running (y)[/QUOTE said:
Oh bugger and damnation! When I picked it up it seemed there was an advisory of some corrosion on or around subframe...I've just put details on a new post if anyone has any clues (n)

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
My 644 was registered in this country in 1989 :), OK so I've had some teething probs with her...........:whistle2: inc the recent one of a re-built gearbox :Eeek: BUT, I still smile when I drive her.............and surely, that's what its all about.........(also, very recently was offered twice the amount I paid for her.......BUT no sale as far I'm concerned). :)

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
<----------- 1991.
Imported from Germany in 2008.
Had one steering-rack gaiter (£2.90) three years ago.
Recon. alternator (£40) 2 years ago.
Never failed Mot so far.
Has everything newer vans have but no bling/plastic etc.
35mpg. average...
Couldn't improve on her at any price. ;)

And she doesn't leak and bits don't fall off :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Generally we think "looks good but on the whole no significant improvement on what we have, which is 11 this year.

Looking around the Manchester show last week many/most of the new ones were either much longer or worse for lounge space because of the trend for fixed beds. So we continue to climb the ladder to a huge bed that takes up no room at all.
Nice to hear from someone else who's not keen on fixed beds. We have a Hymer B584 - I use the overcab & wife Gaye uses the side seat (which extends to decent single size). I also like front lounges - mainly because of the window area and the fact that the two best seats are at the front.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
It might not be as bad if you could actually SEE £108.000 in one. NOTHING on wheels is worth that much. I was talking to this guy with a brand new 'Whatever' last year on a site in Dorset. "Are you thinking of buying a new MH", he asked. When I said 'why'? he commented that ours was 'pretty old'. Not chuffed when I said that not only would ours go anywhere his would, but that it was fully paid for..........:)

I've had 3 brand new motorhomes since March 2008 and at mot time I'd part exchanged for another new one. Last March had a new Auto Sleeper Broadway, All paid for up front with no finance but now that I've retired this is the last one we will be buying new.
The only thing that I miss about working is the generous monthly salary that I earned.

John.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I've had 3 brand new motorhomes since March 2008 and at mot time I'd part exchanged for another new one. Last March had a new Auto Sleeper Broadway, All paid for up front with no finance but now that I've retired this is the last one we will be buying new.
The only thing that I miss about working is the generous monthly salary that I earned.

John.
And right you were, it's all about what "rocks your boat"
Mine is 20 years old this year, never had a new one... couldn't justify it but have been known to spend the price of half a dozen new ones on something that does "rock my boat" !
One life, live it as you justify it.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
And right you were, it's all about what "rocks your boat"
Mine is 20 years old this year, never had a new one... couldn't justify it but have been known to spend the price of half a dozen new ones on something that does "rock my boat" !
One life, live it as you justify it.

I think you are right on the nail, it's everyone down to there own choices, no right or wrong.

Our's is our first motorhome and at coming up to 60 we didn't really know if we would like it or not. Having had caravans I had a good idea of what we wanted and I think we made a good choice. We've had it 4 years now and have discussed changing it, I'd probably be looking at a 2011 ish vintage B544 again because we like the layout and I'm a bit Hymer smitten!

But then Brian hit the nail on the head; when I've looked at one I really cannot see what more I'm going to be getting for still a considerable layout of those retirement funds!

Plus on the sentimental side :cry: all our memories and adventures have been in 'Harry' and I think we would miss him! :love:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Ours is 13 years old , had it for 10years it's just the same now as when we bought it, goes along beautifully, can't see any reason to change it even if we could.
Same here, and ours is coming up for 16 years old.(y)

I get severe withdrawal symptoms if more than a fortnight of not using her, (the MH that is ;) ).

Cheers,

Jock.
P1030229.JPG

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@JockandRita

what model is your Jock.. the MH that is ;) and total length.,..?

I remember the layout from visiting you at Mimizan.. and liked it a lot.. but probably too long for our drive..

Edit
just a guess.. is it the E Class 700G ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp

I get severe withdrawal symptoms if more than a fortnight of not using her, (the MH that is ;) ).

Cheers,

Cheers,

Jock

Hey Jock, didn't know you were a funster as well...Dave J (y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
@JockandRita

what model is your Jock.. the MH that is ;) and total length.,..?

I remember the layout from visiting you at Mimizan.. and liked it a lot.. but probably too long for our drive..
Near as dammit, 8 mtrs Jim, without the fold out bike rack. It's an E690 which ceased production in 1999, but was reintroduced as a B754 in 2002.
The only thing Rita and I would prefer, would be a separate toiler and shower, but wouldn't consider changing her just for that reason. :)

The B544 is very popular with many Jim

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hey Jock, didn't know you were a funster as well...Dave J (y)
Stangely enough Dave, I did look at your Avatar, and wondered if it was you or not. It's good to see you here. (y) Another Happy Hymer owner. :)

Rita and I have been here since Jim & Sian first opened the doors. ;)

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back