I Love My E & P Jacks (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Since 2019
Try these www.AS-AirSuspension.co.uk I had them fit self leveling hydraulic system at the same time as semi air suspension never looked back and dont get sea sick any more lol, had the wind down alko steadys before but wear not that good, the front still rocked on the suspension.
Looking at Semi air for back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
There was a block of wood under for some of the time, while I was working under the wheels were still on so pretty safe (if it dropped onto its wheels there is still room for me underneath), this was taken just before the wheels whent back on. While I was painting the chassis it was on the jacks for about 10 days and didn't budge.

Martin

Havn't read the full thread as I don't have a clue what you are all talking about, but I understand old-mo s concern about you being squashed. :(

PLEASE Martin, for all our sakes, do what Mo says. I couldn't cope with any more bad news in this bloomin' Covid year... seem to have lost loadsa lovely friends one way or another. I wonder if it's concentration.

Get the bloomin things that Mo said, please.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Havn't read the full thread as I don't have a clue what you are all talking about, but I understand @old-mo s concern about you being squashed. :(

Joy.... My little bird of paradise... This thread is from 2015...

So no doubt all sorted... "Safely"...:hugs:

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Its always been my understanding that the foot plates are stainless steel, but the rams are a hardened steel chrome plated and ground to size the chrome plating will give a certain amount of corrosion resistance hence the need to spray them from time to time very similar in construction to motorbike front forks, dont think you could achieve the strengths properties, wear resistance needed with stainless steel.

Untitled.gif

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
are these fitted to van or normal jacks? fed up with my millenco triple ramps and are looking for alternative.
I would love these jacks ,but when I checked the weight of the kit it was a no no,

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Its always been my understanding that the foot plates are stainless steel, but the rams are a hardened steel chrome plated and ground to size the chrome plating will give a certain amount of corrosion resistance hence the need to spray them from time to time very similar in construction to motorbike front forks, dont think you could achieve the strengths properties, wear resistance needed with stainless steel.

View attachment 425623
That is clearly incorrect given the photographic evidence that only the inner ram of the rears show chrome degradation and all the other ram parts are clearly a machined unplated SS product. As for jacks being coated to protect against corrosion, I believe that refers to the body of the jack which is sprayed with an underseal type product during installation.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
That is clearly incorrect given the photographic evidence that only the inner ram of the rears show chrome degradation and all the other ram parts are clearly a machined unplated SS product. As for jacks being coated to protect against corrosion, I believe that refers to the body of the jack which is sprayed with an underseal type product during installation.

I think you will find I am right, let's see what Mick at SAP comes back with.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010

Please see attached.

It does mention stainless steel in extreme cases but I am sure e&p use steel but I stand to be corrected. Your pic clear shows chrome plating pitting.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Interesting that the link says
Where corrosion resistance is required stainless steel can be used as an upgrade

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Interesting that the link says
Where corrosion resistance is required stainless steel can be used as an upgrade

Yeah this will be in extreme harsh conditions out at sea etc but the cost will be considerably more, can't find any literature on the rams being made of stainless steel and I am sure if they were they would opening share this with us as they do the feet plates.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
So if I'd paid six grand instead of £4,800 I could have had all 8 rams made of stainless :ROFLMAO: instead of 6
By not divulging the specification it leaves them free to use what they like. Most customers probably go Shineee :giggle: without spotting a difference until the chrome ones corrode.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Don't think they would mix materials especially on the same rams.

Get them stripped down and polished on your new lathe or new rams and sell them to all of us when we suffer the same fate. 😂

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
So if I'd paid six grand instead of £4,800 I could have had all 8 rams made of stainless :ROFLMAO: instead of 6
By not divulging the specification it leaves them free to use what they like. Most customers probably go Shineee :giggle: without spotting a difference until the chrome ones corrode.
Cheapskate!

Replacement for me, sounds like most products, develop a great item then ruin it by saving a quid or two here and there

Hopefully you'll be covered by the 5 yr warranty Andy👍

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I Love My E & P Jacks

funflair. Martin & Jen, Rita and I too love our E&P jack's. 😉

I had a few Germans watching every move I made today here at Zeltingen, from raising the jacks to moving off the pitch onto the dump point, tilt, dump, level off, then fill up, manoeuvre back on the pitch and auto level. One couple were intrigued at a Brit Reg No being LHD.
I had the same experience at Reil re spectators.

Just been under, and the inner pistons are spotlessly clean, and free of any corrosion whatsoever. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Jock and Rita

I have just added the remote to our new ones today, apparently they are discontinuing it in preference to the clip out LCD screen so I grabbed the last one that SAP had(y)
The remote came in extremely handy for me when solo at Lyndon Top. The ground on the bottom field slopes away, and with the aid of 4 x interlocking ramps, I was able make blocks and carry out fine adjustment at each jacking point, using the remote to lift the front quite high and level. It would have been a right faff with the hard wired control. 😕

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The remote came in extremely handy for me when solo at Lyndon Top. The ground on the bottom field slopes away, and with the aid of 4 x interlocking ramps, I was able make blocks and carry out fine adjustment at each jacking point, using the remote to lift the front quite high and level. It would have been a right faff with the hard wired control. 😕

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂
For sure, it takes some getting level in the bottom field :ROFLMAO: not tried in with the Palace yet although It should be the same as the Flair as it's on the same wheelbase, makes getting into the garage easy;)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Chrome pitting is usually because its poor quality. Chroming cost money so manufactures put on as little as they can, thin layers of chrome are porous so the substrate rusts, to stop this they can be nickel/copper plated first then chromed. An alternative is to put the chrome on thickly but chrome is not a leveler so any machining marks will show unless its then ground.
Its a long time since I was involved in hydraulics but I never saw S/S rods used simply because of the cost, it may have changed now with all the H&S regs with chroming.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
This is a front leg and both rams have machining marks so definitely turned from solid stainless. No corrosion at over 4 yrs old
View attachment 425458
This is a rear leg and the primary ram is machined stainless with no corrosion but the inner or secondary ram is chromed steel and corroding.
View attachment 425459
View attachment 425460
This must be a manufacturing fault that surely will quickly be sorted out by E&P, otherwise severe damage will be done to their reputation. They look like something you might see on a twenty year old digger.
I will be keeping an eye on our HPC jacks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back