I Know, I Know, Another Loo Thread... (1 Viewer)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's certainly not as bad as changing nappies :LOL:

Ah well, you see - I din't have any children myself, so when I was presented with two adult step daughters, each already with children, I never volunteered, However, the eldest one was about 7, so we'd happily have her along. However - her little cousin and her own little brother sometimes came with her as a package, and the eldest used to look out for them - but automatically presented them to 'Grandma Jen' when they needed changing. So - I became adept at wet nappies fairly quickly. However - I never EVER 'learned' to change a pooh-ed one. THAT was ALWAYS a job for GRANDAD.

Similarly Graham - I have - just as deliberately - never 'learned' how to empty a loo cassette. (I could, of course - but only in extremis LOL)

No point in being old if you can't be crafty, is it now!

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I use Broken Link Removed stuff, the green one, it smells lovely far better than any chemical I've tried before, I buy 10ltr at a time from them and I find one 5ltr can stores between the cassette and the door on my Hymer, I only ever put in small amount so I recone 10ltr will last me about 4 to 5 years thats pretty good value, if you wanted to try a smaller amount I think Fenwicks Top & Tail is the same stuff or smells similar (y)

Used to use the bags but got fed up with the blue stain, it seems to get everywhere:doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Should be good.. Elsan is reputable company , but after adding postage of £7.31 .. , £20.46 total .. not so cheap at 50p a pop
If you buy 4 then there is no postage. Works out at 33p. We get 2 to 3 days out of a cassette so a years supply fo a quid a week.
Halfords had a clearance deal a few years ago, cleared 2 of their stores. I think i still have enough for the next 5 years for less than £40.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Always.

My motto is leave nothing but footprints, naturally occurring matter and washing up water.

My son's previous job sometimes included spells of strimming the grass on motorway embankments, when I told him what we saw with lorry drivers on the N 16 on the way in to Calais, he said that's one contract he wouldn't tender for :D

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Used Lidl/aldi Bio for years now but we empty daily so no problem. Use Blue when in storage for any length of time. Each to our own my preference is to keep the use of formaldehyde based environmentally destructive and polluting chemicals to an absolute minimum.
I try to be environmentally friendly too, but I think you'll find that both Elsan and Thetford Blues are all formaldehyde free formulas now anyway.

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Used Lidl/aldi Bio for years now but we empty daily so no problem. Use Blue when in storage for any length of time. Each to our own my preference is to keep the use of formaldehyde based environmentally destructive and polluting chemicals to an absolute minimum.
I try to be environmentally friendly too, but I think you'll find that both Elsan and Thetford Blues are all formaldehyde free formulas now anyway.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think you'll find that both Elsan and Thetford Blues are all formaldehyde free formulas now anyway.
yes they are

just returned from buying 2lt of Thetford Blue .. been using it since year dot.. tried the rest now back to the best ... (y)

http://www.thetford-europe.com/aqua-kem-blue-best-performing-toilet-additive-formaldehyde-free/

Aqua Kem Blue best performing toilet additive and formaldehyde free!

8 March 2012

The Dutch traffic and camping association (ANWB) recently subjected various chemical toilet additives to an independent laboratory test, focussing on the effectiveness of the product by measuring the odour of waste holding tanks after four days at 30 Celsius. Thetford Aqua Kem Blue came out on top even as formaldehyde free product! Outperforming all cheaper additives, the market leader’s products were the only ones to live up to the promise of four consecutive days of freshness, where the majority of the competitors’ products already started to lose their scent-effectiveness after one or two days.

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
let us know what they are like. if they are any good, we will try them.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
In defense of bio washing liquid (NOT washing-up liquid as Carol points out) we always use Tesco's. Normally there is no chemical smell, but we've found if you use too much then it tends to whiff a bit. No more than one capful to a cassette, and usually only half, is quite sufficient. We also make it a habit of emptying daily (wherever we can) whether it needs it or not. Also topping up with fluid without emptying usually also results in a chemical smell.

Used to use the blue sachets when I was coach driving - found they stained very easily if you didn't handle them carefully.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I hate the smell of the blue chemical! It's nearly as bad as the smell of not using anything......

Following a tip on here I use brewer's yeast tablets now - 3 in a tank - that seems to work well, doesn't smell too bad, is environmentally good and is very easy to do.

Mind you, with 5 of us in the van the cassette has to be emptied daily so I've not left the tank for any longer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back