I hope my husband doesn't see this... (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Rita and Andrew
  • Start date
R

Rita and Andrew

Deleted User
So we bought our first MH 8 weeks ago and I think we've made a mistake with the layout. We didn't do much research and we bought a Marquis Majestic 175. There's only the 2 of us plus Henry our beagle so no problem that it's 2 berth ...lots of light with 2 huge couches and end washroom. My problem is that I wish we had 2 separate seating areas as I think ours looks like a caravan and not a traditional MH. It's just a feeling but I think we should have gone for a 4 berth maybe the 195. Any thoughts or experience of doubt after buying?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
2 separate seating areas means a much bigger van, I assume you mean a van with a dinette then a separate lounge. We had an Autosleeper Broadway with a fixed bed and 2 large sofas at the front. It was great ( we have a beagle and a Labrador) and there was plenty of room for all of us. We didn't like the dinette type layouts so went for the side facing sofas. Plenty of room to lounge around. I'm sure you will love yours.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
No help at all,but parted with the first M/home and went back to a c/van,sold that and had another bigger M/h...Sold that...LOL and bought another c/van....SOLD that and went back to a m/home,exactly like the first one,only better made.
More funsters will be along in a minute,saying you are very lucky,if you get it right first time,a lot did,a lot didn't.
Tea Bag
Edit. Forgot to say ours is a PVC,end lounge,6'2" facing sofas,making a HUGE bed.Well there is ...Three ?.... of us have to share it. Me,First wife and........ Growler. LOL.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You are not alone, so many people change a van in the first year because they cannot get on with the layout. If you had read the Buyers Guide prior to purchase you'd have known this. :) Better late than never. Get the next one right and you'll be better than many who take at least three goes at getting the right layout.

Subscribers can download The Motorhome Buyers Guide for Free The Definitive Guide to Buying the Right Motorhome at the Best Price

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I am not sure that there is such a thing as a traditional MH. We have a rear lounge on ours and so there is two separate seating areas as the cab seats form one and the rear bench seats the other. However on our first short trips we found that we didn't even bother to turn around the cab seats and even on our longer 6 week trip we didn't turn around the driver's seat. I think I only turned around the passenger seat so as to say I had used it . The cab area is slightly wasted space when camped up. I have great shower envy for your spacious end washroom. Your MH looks lovely and I am sure that you are just having "oh what have we done" big spending nerves that will soon disappear when you go off in it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There isn't any such thing nowadays as a tradition MH - the 195 has the 2 lounge areas but the fact that there is the kitchen/washroom in the middle can make that layout feel very restrictive/isolating, so if you had gone for that you might find you were wishing you'd gone for the 175 after all which, to be perfectly honest, is a very good layout IMV. Also, what does it matter if it looks more like a caravan than a MH? If it suits how you want to use it then that's what matters.

Give it some time and just enjoy it for now, I can assure you that whatever you get there will be something that's not quite right ... there is NO such thing as the perfect MH, so instead of worrying about it, relax and enjoy your trips away in it.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Just looked at photos of your van and I think it looks lovely. It's a perfect layout for two. The sofas can be used as singles or a big double. Beautiful end wash room and kitchen. All very airy and light. I don't like the ones with bathrooms in the middle I find them claustrophobic. Our new van looks like our old caravan layout with a French bed but it's a layout that works for us.
You have huge sofas and the cab seats. Give it a proper go before changing. :)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Newbie here (we picked ours up 3 weeks ago) and yes I've had post-buying doubts too - but I'm pretty sure that's mostly because its a huge purchase and you always wonder if you should have done more research. But another part of me thinks that you could waste your life researching and never actually do anything! I think I probably felt the same when we bought our house too ;-)
My problem is that I wish we had 2 separate seating areas as I think ours looks like a caravan and not a traditional MH. It's just a feeling but I think we should have gone for a 4 berth maybe the 195. Any thoughts or experience of doubt after buying?
Is this the only reason you're not happy? We looked at lots of MHs and there are so many different layouts out there that I don't think there is a traditional MH layout - so if what you have works for you then forget what it "looks like". If anything I think ours (end lounge) looks more like a caravan layout than yours but its working fine for us so far and was the best compromise for us in terms of overall length and "lounging" area.

Best thing to do I think is give yourself a bit of time to get used to it. If you're still having doubts in 6 months or so then have a serious think about how you actually use the current space and which alternative layout would suit you better.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We made this mistake in 2014 and brought our first Motorhome which was an Elddis 155, we new we had made a mistake after the first trip to Spain. The layout was wrong and a few other things that were really annoying. We did change it after 3 months for a different motorhome but be prepared to lose quite a bit on it as the VAT usually comes off straight away. Still if you are not happy then i would say change it as we knew we wouldnt be happy till we did. As it happens our new one is the perfect layout but quality issues is another story :(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We changed our first after only 6 months, bought another 2nd hand and changed again after one year. Now on our 3rd and we have managed to keep it almost a year and a half. This one works for us. Sometimes you just have to experiment until you get it right.

Mum had a driving confidence issue with sizes so built up gradually, each one we got was bigger than the last.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We were really amazed at the amount of room in the Autosleeper Boughton and was seriously going to buy a new one. However the weight of the big body and the fact that there was no storage area to put biggish item in it, The rear lounge was huge and roomy but there were things we DID want to carry. In the end we bought a Hymer MLI and it has fixed beds a drop down, huge Garage space and a mtetre and a bit shorter, the sitting area is much smaller but that is the compromise, as there are only two of us BUT we can take two more if we wanted.
The usual reason people change is that they did not get on with the layout, so we went very carefully at what we needed and not what looked nicest. We are VERY HAPPY with our choice.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
2 x Sofas you made the right choice for sure(y)
wait for your first long day in the van due to the weather you cant beat a good lounge factor in any van
we are mid shall we shant we downsize scenario:rolleyes:
We love the presence and space in the American RV but believe it or not at Stratford this year(rain rain rain) we found we had far far more lounge factor in the Autotrail(y)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Each to their own we find, for us we don`t understand a fixed bed arrangement (except for physical restrictions) what a waste of space in an area where use of space in a primary factor.
To us a fixed bed would be just a coat hanger in the day.
We like an U shaped end lounge, plenty of space to collapse with a drink, easy to set up a table for dinner, great for looking at the view and can be used as two single beds if required.

An over the cab bed means Chrissie can stay in bed whilst I get up to make brekkie, read or whatever without disturbing her.

In our last M/H an Autotrail Arapaho, we had the the big end lounge and also a dining area which was excellent but the overall length of the vehicle made touring around a tad difficult when it came to small villages, narrow roads, parking etc.

Obviously one size doesn`t fit all.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Gosh I think it looks lovely!
2 big sofas, options of single beds or double, separate shower and room to swing a cat in the washroom, big fridge...
Enjoy what you have while learning about how you're going to use your motorhome, then you'll both realise that it either is or isn't what you need and act on that. Give it a while. Your needs and requirements will probably change over time anyway and if you can do what you want with the van, then it can't be that bad.

The important thing is to get out, use it, enjoy it and have loads of Fun :)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Looks like a lovely luxurious, comfortable motorhome to me (y) Don't think we will ever find the absolutely perfect one as the ideal is large on the inside & small on the outside!
It's the lifestyle choices that a motorhome offers which to us is the most important thing :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't see why you think you want 2 lounges, most of the time spent in a Motorhome is in the bed or drivers seat, for us priority is a good bed that is as comfortable as the one at home and a quality driver and passenger seats.
You need to live with it for a year then see how you feel then, you may then have totally different views.

I can be smug as we got the layout right first time and did it again when we changed to an A Class, only thing we did wrong on the 2nd one was not spend enough money we should have bought a posher one, now having trouble with the boss she won't let me spend more money on the posher one I want.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Obviously one size doesn`t fit all.

indeed..

Having had many caravans and motorhomes with a jigsaw puzzle beds that were anything but comfortable.. and after the comfort of an RV with a Queen sized double bed with super quality mattress, when we downsized to a European, a fixed bed was a must.. , it also gives us a big garage underneath to store bikes and other camping paraphernalia .. a front lounge with an L shaped sofa and two swivelling captains chairs gives us plenty of lounging space.. a third of the day is spent in the bed.. so for us it has to be comfortable.. no compromise.. All in a van that is under 7mts.

also, when abroad most of the day lounging is done outdoors ..

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Gosh I think it looks lovely!

Enjoy what you have while learning about how you're going to use your motorhome, then you'll both realise that it either is or isn't what you need and act on that. Give it a while. Your needs and requirements will probably change over time anyway and if you can do what you want with the van, then it can't be that bad.

The important thing is to get out, use it, enjoy it and have loads of Fun :)

Totally agree with this. You'll probably find that you gradually adapt how you do things to suit your new motorhome layout. Make the most of the features that you have and don't worry about the things you don't have. You'll probably not miss them in the end.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We're on our second, I have a feeling the third will come some time next year.
Liked the first one but wanted a fixed bed. Got that now, at the expense of a longer van and shorter sofas.
I like it, OH not so keen. Says she preferred the first one, why she didn't make that a bit clearer before we changed I have no idea.:mad:
Had 2 months in France/Spain earlier this year, shortly heading off to France again for 8 weeks, think that when we get back we'll be going round some dealers.:rolleyes:

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We thought we had a great layout in our first van but we needed to use the van, we then found that it was great in the summer but as soon as it got colder and not using outdoors as much the inside was a bit too cramped, so ended up changing it just over 1 year old. Second one still has compromises but they are ones we can easily live with. We sometimes look at other layouts and think fixed bed (hmmm daytime naps), big garage (more stuff) etc... but we had to use it to appreciate what was important to us.

Friends have a new Majestic 275, similar layout to OP and oddly they like it as it reminds them of their old caravan, but I think it is the decor and fittings that do that rather than the actual layout.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I like it, OH not so keen. Says she preferred the first one, why she didn't make that a bit clearer before we changed I have no idea.:mad:
They all say that after you have changed, each time I mention I would like a new van I get it thrown in my face "there was nothing wrong with the last one" year right no way was I having a few grands worth of bikes sitting on a rack I wanted them in a garage. If she has her way she will take all our hard earned savings to the grave, if I have mine we will be skint by next year.:)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Took us about 18 months to find what suited us, after listening to friends & family with MHs, for what we use it for we needed to leave the bed up , so went for over cab bed, we where told not to have a wet room toilet/shower, so had separate shower/toilet/changing room, to have 2 settees (for rainy days) so we went for a Bessacarr E754, which was great until a farmer decided to pull out in front of us & wrote it off. We now have a Autotrail Mohican with almost the same layout. Both of which are similar to your layout, apart from the over cab bed, we found both great in in every day use, Id stick with it for a while, see how you feel later on (y)

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I think ours looks like a caravan and not a traditional MH.
One of the reasons we moved from a caravan was we were totally fed up with the layouts, all had 2 bench seats which were uncomfortable as they only came half way up your back. We changed in June and must say we love our "traditional MH layout" with an island bed, euro lounge etc.

We knew what we wanted from our caravanning days, I am sure at some point we would change it but at the moment unless the lottery comes up we are very happy.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You might be right... The layout might be completely wrong for you but instead of fretting about it - put it to one side for a set period, say a year maybe two.
Then get out & about, there are so many things to learn about motorhoming (y).
*What sort of trips, locations, sites will you enjoy.
*Will you need extra batteries and/or solar but maybe you'll always plug in to EHU.
*Will you drive the MH to every attraction you visit or will you use bike, scooters or tow a small car.
*Will you travel light or take the kitchen sink, so payload may feature.
*What about catering. Some of us choose to eat out as much as possible whilst others prefer to home cook in the van - so kitchen facilities might only need to be bare bones or fully featured.

What I'm trying to say is yes - you might have got this layout wrong, and that annoyance won't go away - but instead of rushing in & changing (at great expense) to what might also not be quite right, take some time & work out exactly what you need/want & what you don't.
That way you might defy the statistics by getting your forever van at the 2nd go rather than the usual 3rd (y).

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
a fixed bed was a must.. , it also gives us a big garage underneath to store bikes and other camping paraphernalia .

also, when abroad most of the day lounging is done outdoors ..

Same for us. A fixed island bed is absolutely non negotiable for us. It has to be island because she usually gets up a couple of times in the night and I'm always up long before her in the morning with the dogs so an island bed means nobody has to climb over the other one. I wouldn't sleep in an over cab one again if someone was paying me.

If we didn't have the garage I would have nowhere to keep the crap essential equipment that we seem to not be able to do without.

Same with the inside space. I would consider a huge lounge with sofas a massive waste of space. If we're spending very much time around the motorhome it will be somewhere warm enough to spend it outside. We don't really spend any time sat around inside the MH other than perhaps an hour first thing in the morning and maybe the same last thing at night before bed.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Worry not. We have a Hymer with two long settees, at night we can each stretch out to watch tv or read a book. My son bought a Dethleffs with continental lounge and fixed beds, mainly to take my grandson and car to grass track events. Daughter in law said she couldn't spend long periods in it because the lounge area was so cramped, much preferred our 'open' layout.

Give it some time, you will probably grow to like it.

Mike

MoKa

Free Member
Jun 22, 2016
STIRLING
Funster No
MH
Toyota Previa conversion
Exp
Newbies, preparing to full-time after house sale
We did tons of research and were decided on a fixed bed. We went to a dealer to view a few then completely changed our mind. We are still set on front kitchen / double dinet but now also U shaped lounge.
We will be FT and working from the van too so having two seperate areas is the ideal setting.
No doubt me might change our minds again before we buy. [Mo]

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
For us our van has to be small enough to go down forest tracks to orienteering events all over Europe. BUT it has to be big enough to be able to spend months at a time in it in the summer.

We wanted a garage as we sometimes (mostly) carry four bikes. Two road, two mountain bikes. The garage means we have the bed over it and access is not the easiest! We are still able to clamber in and I don't often have to get up in the night.

Our front seats swivel and we have a small L shaped seating area. I'd like to be able to remove the table. I'm working on that!

My first impressions on stepping into this van were that it was too narrow but I've got used to it now.

Stick out for a litte longer with your layout. If you then can't live with it take time to research another.

OP
OP
R

Rita and Andrew

Deleted User
Thank you so much everyone! I do feel a lot better about it and I think my doubts have a lot to do with what a huge purchase it was for us. I know how lucky we are to have a MH at all so didn't really vocalise my doubts...that's where this forum can in, thanks!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back