I have only just found out how to save a screen image

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DavidG58, May 18, 2016.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Having tried and failed many times with this, despite tutorials from some on here last year suddenly had a break through this week

I have previously tried to show google map routes on the forum, this being a good example of what I had failed

So I had the map on screen, pressed 'prt sc' nothing happens, press again still nothing, press harder nothing, press it rapidly softly, repeat much harder, give in (again)

Youngest daughter happens round to see me, notices my angry face and poorly fingers, offers to help

I explain, she says 'open it in paint' well she might as well have been talking Dutch, which my frowns possibly gave away

Give me your laptop and watch, I did and did

Having pressed the prt sc button I now know it put the image on my clip board, well it could have told me it had, in fact it could have done with telling me I now had over 50 copies of the same thing o_O

Didn't even know I had paint, opened via the start icon (top left on mine anyway) then click paste another icon on paint options, bingo there is the map

Then save it by clicking on file, save as, now my daughter is now creased up because I am clicking on file on the image, seemed obvious to me, they are identical, but saved and here it is (y)

map to Falkirk.png

I am sure there are better ways to do it, but this will do for me for the next few years (y):)

• Like Like x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

That's one thing I like with my android phone...screen shots.

Double tap the screen with a knuckle and it saves to 'file'. (How it knows a knuckle from a finger beats me though but finger taps don't work)
    'Upload a file' on the screen you want, select the file folder, select the screenshot wanted and its done.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

A shortcut method of doing it is to press the "Windows" key and PRTSCR together. This will automatically save it into a Screenshots folder in your Pictures folder.

For Mac users it's cmd-shift-3 which will save it to the desktop. Alternatively cmd-shift-4 brings up a cursor and lets you select the area to be grabbed.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. TerryL

TerryL Funster

:Grin:Oh absolute joy!:Grin: I've been wanting to do this for several years so I can put an Autoroute map into my blog.

:thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3::thanks3:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

How about on a tablet (Hudl). Volume button and on/off switch together. After ........ numerous ......... tries it works. Any better way?

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Same as the Samsung galaxy tab 3...and probably the other Samsung tabs as well.

7. movan

movan Funster Life Member

(n) I don't understand any of those answers other than I may need a knuckle duster. Will one of you show me next time we meet up please.:blush:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I do agree Joy it was so much easier to be shown :), but is amazingly easy once seen (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. big map

big map Funster Life Member

You could press print screen and then right click paste

upload_2016-5-18_13-32-40.png

10. Al1

Al1 Read Only Funster

In windows 7 there is a program called Snip or Snipe -under Accessories that lets you grab a part of the screen and you can save it or copy it to a document.
    Al

11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

upload_2016-5-18_14-21-56.png

well that really was easy (y)

@movan see @big map post above, that might help

edit big map I also see you must have been looking at embroidered garments, my wife has her own business doing that if you are interested :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

You press either one of the buttons with the windows symbol on it at the same time as the one with Print Screen or PRTSCR or something similar on it. The Print Screen one isn't always in the same place as it is in this picture.

keyboard-r1-6 copy.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. big map

big map Funster Life Member

I didn't know that, thank you Nick. I think we all develop our own little short cuts.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 14.58.23.png The trick once you have your screen dump is to open another copy of Paint then copy the parts you want then paste into the new copy of Paint and add any comments you want Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 14.58.23.png

15. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

........... or 'wipe' the screen downwards with your finger or side of hand (as though you were wiping dust off it - which is when I normally take an accidental screenshot). Your knuckle tap is possibly doing the same thing.

16. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

What is this screen dump of which you speak, is it to do with cassette emptying?

17. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

A quick tip for you @DavidG58 before you depart.
    Get your youngest daughter to show you how to rotate the picture through 180 degrees and you'll be able to get home again!:whistle:
    There again, maybe she wouldn't want that!:p:giggle:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. movan

movan Funster Life Member