Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I had to leave the Algarve and go north to arrange the collection of the Classic Ride On Mower.

While there the plan was to strip stuff from the Wagon, including a solar panel or two, return to the Algarve and fit the stuff in the Hymer in the sunnier weather.

I have got the sound system and speakers, the 11kilo Gaslow bottle, LED strip lights (with switches) and various tools etc and yesterday I carefully climbed up a slightly wobbly step ladder to start to remove the first (of 4) solar panels.

I had fixed them with aluminium angle pieces, glued (Sikaflex) and bolted to the roof.

The bolts came out easily but the glue was stuck... really stuck. Not having a wire saw, I used a hacksaw blade on the glue.

After half an hour on the first bracket of four I stopped for a rest and a think.

To reach the two at the far side of the panel I will have to clamber up onto the roof. I am not sure I could get down again safely. I am in an electrically gated compound all on my own. Should I fall no one would even know until tomorrow at the earliest and, if I called for help, how would they get past the gate?

I decided to be sensible, postpone the job until the gang get back from Australia and head south...

I AM getting old...

JJ :cool:

PS. Anyone having solar panels fitted to their motorhomes be assured that correctly applied Sikaflex is MORE than strong enough to hold them securely.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The bone the bones the joints , can't trust em any more :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Chill man, Just put it off till another day, what's the rush.

Just a thought, would it be easier to drill out the screw/bolt from bracket to panel???o_O

Reactions: JJ
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
And just don't worry about getting old, we're all doing that
old-01.gif

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Kick back and watch the footy JJ, its Sunday...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I had to leave the Algarve and go north to arrange the collection of the Classic Ride On Mower.

While there the plan was to strip stuff from the Wagon, including a solar panel or two, return to the Algarve and fit the stuff in the Hymer in the sunnier weather.

I have got the sound system and speakers, the 11kilo Gaslow bottle, LED strip lights (with switches) and various tools etc and yesterday I carefully climbed up a slightly wobbly step ladder to start to remove the first (of 4) solar panels.

I had fixed them with aluminium angle pieces, glued (Sikaflex) and bolted to the roof.

The bolts came out easily but the glue was stuck... really stuck. Not having a wire saw, I used a hacksaw blade on the glue.

After half an hour on the first bracket of four I stopped for a rest and a think.

To reach the two at the far side of the panel I will have to clamber up onto the roof. I am not sure I could get down again safely. I am in an electrically gated compound all on my own. Should I fall no one would even know until tomorrow at the earliest and, if I called for help, how would they get past the gate?

I decided to be sensible, postpone the job until the gang get back from Australia and head south...

I AM getting old...

PS. Anyone having solar panels fitted to their motorhomes be assured that correctly applied Sikaflex is MORE than strong enough to hold them securely.
Heat the aluminium angle with a blowtorch. The Sikaflex insulates the roof from the heat & once the angle is hot (bl**dy hot) it lifts off cleanly leaving the Sikaflex on the roof. A broad, sharp, wood-working chisel pushed by hand cleans it off fairly easily.

I use the same mounting method & have had to do the same job.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
And where are all your "PEOPLE" when you need them... :crying:

Your slipping my friend....... not literally... :wink:::bigsmile:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Don't risk it. Good idea. You don't want to ends up squashed on the floor with no chance of help getting to you. You'd also be laid up for months on end, it's not worth it. Get your purse out and pay a youngster. Easily done with your wealth! !!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
JJ if I had your talent, I wouldn't waste time doing jobs that I could pay the experts to do .... use your time doing what you do well and enjoy doing and use the payment to pay the experts. :) Don't fall off. :(

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
JJ, how are the aluminium brackets attached to the solar panels? I just self tapped mine. When it comes time to remove I will leave the brackets on the roof and just remove the solar panels. Not messing with the sikaflex :whistle:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Kick back and watch the footy JJ, its Sunday...
Man. City v Arsenal !!!!

When the Gunners win you will want to hurl your good self on to the soil and pummel the earth with your fists !!!:whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Go away Stephen...

Karl, sadly the brackets are bolted to the aluminium angle pieces with locking nuts on the inside of the frame. They were designed to outlast me...

Joy, I am retired from that life...

Thanks for the heating up tip Mr Tonyidle.

Will deffo give it a go when I resume the job.

Just arrived back at Rui's restaurant, Pego da Alter and about to scoff a plate full of of grilled belly pork and chips.

Yummmmy.

20150118_194553.jpg

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Exactly why I am on a diet while away from you !!!!!
Give Rui my regards! Tell him I'll be back soon and he'd better have my favourite octopus salad ready!!!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
leave the brackets on the roof, no leaks that way. Drill the pop rivits out that hold the angle to the solar panel.

Jack Russel

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Not keen on this getting old bit but it's better than the only other option!
What is the weather like in Portugal at this time of year. We are thinking of heading that way in the autumn.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back