I have a mifi, what do i need with it.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hel999, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

I am a total dummy when it comes to anything technical. I bought an unlocked mifi (Huawei) from amazon a while ago but haven't used it yet as i've managed to hotspot to my phone or ipad which always have great signal in Uk (EE).

We are going to Europe for a month in April and i dont know a) how to set myself up for internet or b) if i need anything else. I was thinking of getting a 3 sim but dont know what to get. I only want data. I am not bothered about phonecalls or texts as i have a works mobile phone and i believe it covers calls and texts. All i want is to be able to get on the internet.

Do i need an aerial? can i get data sim only?

need some advice but lease keep it really basic and easy to understand. IT is def not my first (or second or third) language!

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

You just need a PAYG data sim.

For Europe a 3 one is best as nobody else at present is matching their "Feel at home" scheme.

You will be able to get one from anywhere that sells 3 products. If you aren't tech savvy take your mifi to the store and get them to set it up for you.

You just add credit online the same as with any other PAYG device.

As to an aerial if you can get one to fit your device easily and cheaply enough you may as well. Don't spend a lot though. I have one for my mifi and I'm not convinced about it. It's never picked up a signal with the aerial connected that it couldn't pick up without it. Once or twice the aerial has improved the signal i.e. from 2G to 3G but not often.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. andy63

andy63 Funster

A data sim that will work in the country you are visiting..
    Others will better advise on what's suitable...
    Was in portugal with a 3 data sim recently and it wouldn't work..
    So bought a local one and worked well... That was after some help from @irnbru
    And enable roaming on device before leaving uk ..to do that you have to access the admin pages for the device... The instructions tell you how.
    An aerial can help improve reception if your unit has the connections to take one.
    Ta andy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You need one of these:

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=570

Discussion about it here:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/3-12gb-12mth-data-sim-for-only-£30.124317/#post-1734753

Important note:

Hubby was nagging me to check that the Three 12gb/12month sim was okay so I stuck it in the mifi but did NOT intend to actually activate it (ie by connecting to the internet) and just go into the settings, unfortunately just turning the mifi on activated it immediately!!! :eek:

As we will use it for our holidays this year it's not a problem for us but for others if you want it to extend into next year do NOT put it in your equipment UNTIL you definitely need to activate it!!! o_O

Sim size: The '3' data sim is a triple (standard/micro/nano) so you just push out whichever size you want.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Just check the size of sim before you buy one if you don't know you could visit a 3 shop and check. It can be difficult to set up the mifi if you aren't technical the other dearer option is to get in touch with motorhome wifi and talk to them I think they are near you or go to a show it will cost more but will work!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. NickNic

The 3 website lists the Feel at Home countries. If you're going to somewhere that isn't supported you have to take a view on it. If it's just for a few days manage without, if it's for longer as Andy suggests a local one is the way to go.

We've been in Belgium this week which isn't one of the countries so didn't bother even putting credit on the mifi. It is covered by Vodafone Euro traveller though which does something similar but charges you £3 a day for the privilege. We've gone with that and just used our phones. We've had 4G most of the time.

7. andy63

andy63 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

9. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Just follow this link. I bought one last week and it was delivered within a few days. Popped it in the mifi and it worked straight away.

10. NickNic

Just be careful with how long the 12gb lasts. A lot of them are limited to 30 days and that's huge amount of data to use in a month of travelling.

11. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

The 12Gb Three one lasts for a year AFAIK - at least the one I bought does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

The OP hasn't said where she's going.
    If it's 'just' to France and Spain I think we're all agreed that there's little to touch 3's offer at the mo. of 12Gb of data for £35 for 12mths.

I would caution her, as per Minxygirls post about putting the Sim card in the Mifi as the clock would start at that moment.

I would also commend her going into the 3 Shop to do the deal, no doubt there's one in New Street ;) because they will talk you through the process without you having the worry of making a faux pas. I found as a total technophobe that the people in the 3 Shop are very gentle with us that aren't so wifi savvy.

13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I have got one that I haven't used yet as well.

So , I charge it up, put a SIM card in and switch it on.

What happens next, does my phone or iPad detect its existence?

If so is there a password somewhere with the instructions?

I confess I haven't opened the box yet despite having it for about 2 years.

I have an I boost which I have used a lot,but I guess the mifi might come in handy at some stage ( if only to empty the data off the PAYG SIM card I bought at the same time)

14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Chris. Is it unlocked? If so then it is as easy as popping a SIM in and switching it on. The instructions (or sticker on bottom) will tell you the wifi name and password. Then you just search for it with your phone/ ipad/ PC. Once found by any of these you connect to it using the password, as you would with any Wifi network. And then away you go.

The instructions will also tell you how to use the phone, ipad or PC to change the wifi name and password to whatever you want. You don't have to do that last bit if you don't want to.

If it is unlocked you have one of two choices. Keep using SIMs from the mobile provider it is locked to. Or buy an unlock code off ebay and follow the instructions to unlock it so that you can use whatever mobile provider's SIMs you want.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I have a similar thread going, but the difference is we are here in France already, couldn't get my mifi to work, but Bev has one of the 12Gb 12 month cards in her iPad we have connected to that using the iPad as a hot spot and had great data connection everywhere we have been

I am not convinced we need the mifi, although I have now got it going and am desperately trying to use the 20Gb or so I put on it before we left, it will all be lost at end of month :(

No idea quite why I put so much on other than ignorance :)

edit - I should add if you don't have an iPad a mifi would be a must for us

16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Thanks. Yes it is unlocked(y)

17. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Might need to set the apn in the mifi to allow roaming as well

18. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Are all the sim cards the same size in these MiFi units and if so which is it? I would like to take up the opportunity of these cheaper "3" deals when they come up, but havent got a unit yet so dont know which size to get. If they vary, I will have to wait. Going to NEC on the Fri, so may get a unit there if they are on offer.(y)

19. The Wino

The Wino Funster

To buy the mifi I think you are better to look at the threads on here and ebay but make sure its either on 3 or unlocked. There was a recent post about one at carphone warehouse recently sign up for a contract and cancel straight away sounded a good bet.

• Like Like x 1
  20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

They can differ. My cheap ex-EE one uses full size, but I am not sure about others. If you buy the 3SIM it can be detached in such a way that it can be used for the 3 different sizes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1