I have a leak through the winder of my main roof light on my 1992 Hymer 644 (1 Viewer)

Team Winger

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer 644
Exp
1992 with my parents
Hi folks, I'm new to this site but thought I would ask your advice.
I have a leak which comes through the handle of my main roof light 800/500 on my Hymer 644(1992). I have sealed with sticks all around just about everything and even created a wall of sticks all to barrier off the hole where the winding mechanism is...I parkedthevan on a different angle and it started again. It is starting to drive me mad. I'm in Cornwall..am I missing some sort of seal on the winder itself? Where could I buy a new mechanism? What do you think I should do?

Cheers all :)

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Morning @Team Winger and welcome to the forum.

Are you certain that the leak is actually coming through the winder, and not just running along to the lowest point and dripping through there? I have seem the rooflight in my '91 544 leak (twice in five years) when the vehicle has been absolutely flat, the roof has been dirty (mio culpa) and heavy rain has ponded until it flooded over the ridge underneath the rooflight. This did then run down and drip from the winder. Winding the thing down tight or parking on a very slight gradient prevents it for me.

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
I had this problem so had the rooflight resealed which ended the leak.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Resealed mine a few months ago its perfect now.
Not a big job but has to be done properly using the correct sealer and all tbe old stuff must be cleaned off first.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If it's deffo not the seals on the winder then a full reseal is the only way I'm afraid. Just done mine and it takes half a day to do but you need all the stuff ready to do it. Oh and a very nice man who let's you use his workshop or a dry warm sunny day.(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds as though the roof light frame and mechanism needs removing, cleaning and resealing. Had one of ours done some 14 months ago and I'm about to do the other one in the shower room as soon as the weather warms up a bit. The sealant is a non-setting mastic but it hardens and cracks over time. It is prudent to assume a roof light will need re-sealing after about 10 years - beyond that you are doing well.

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Hi there

If you are on Facebook do a search for Classic Hymers, it is a group with in excess of 1000 members who all have a passion for Hymers, generally about the age of yours and older.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Is there no ledge running along the edge to act as as dam to stop the water getting to the hole for the winder?
Dirt build up allows water to go over the ridge and not out to the outside have a look on top with it wound up as high as it goes.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've got a similar problem which I fixed temporarily by oversealing so we could get to Lincoln and to the NEC next week (both already booked).

When we get back from the NEC I'm going to book it into the local MCEA engineer to be removed and replaced properly with new sealant. He can do it in a nice dry workshop (it would be bound to pour down as soon as I got it off if I did it on the drive) and knows what he is doing more than me.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
The external plate on which the winding mechanism/shaft is mounted is very prone to rust between the underside of this plate and the M/H roof. Hymer only use sealant between this plate and roof where the eight screws are fitted.
I have just removed/de-rusted and resealed these plates (2) on my 2004 B544 using Wurth Bond+Seal. The rust had just started to 'attack' the roof finish.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back