I found a spare wire ... (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
... behind the roof stoplight on my 2016 X250 PVC. I've no idea if it is live. It has the same 3-pin connector as the stop light, which of course isnnot connected to anything. My first thought was reversing light power. I know that often these loose wires result from the use of standard wiring looms, with extras not having been fitted. Any ideas? Are there any other spare wires which can be used?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
... Are there any other spare wires which can be used?

Can be used for what?

Before you think about using it you need to check whether the socket is permanently live or only when the ignition is on or only when the side/head lights are on or only when reverse is selected...............etc.
Are all the standard (legally obligatory) lights fitted and working?
You say the stop light isn't connected to anything.....:confused:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
by 'rooflight' I am assuming you are referring to a high level brake light

my guess is an option on your MH would be for a combined high level light and camera, that makes a very sensible package IMO, wish we had one, although a new bulb could become an expensive repair :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Can be used for what?

Before you think about using it you need to check whether the socket is permanently live or only when the ignition is on or only when the side/head lights are on or only when reverse is selected...............etc.
Are all the standard (legally obligatory) lights fitted and working?
You say the stop light isn't connected to anything.....:confused:
It's difficult to word things correctly, the stop light is connected and working just fine, but there is an extra wire behind the stop light that is not connected to owt. I haven't investigated further (been out walking in the wonderful Mendips this after), just wondered if any one knew what it was for.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
by 'rooflight' I am assuming you are referring to a high level brake light

my guess is an option on your MH would be for a combined high level light and camera, that makes a very sensible package IMO, wish we had one, although a new bulb could become an expensive repair :(
That was what I was hoping. Don't quite understand the new bulb comment. Mind you, I'm half way down a nice bottle of red.

By the way, your avatar reference to controlling the wind, I have that problem!!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I think DavidG58 is about right.
Testing it to see when/if it becomes live will give you a better guide to its intended purpose.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That was what I was hoping. Don't quite understand the new bulb comment. Mind you, I'm half way down a nice bottle of red.

By the way, your avatar reference to controlling the wind, I have that problem!!

Having owned a Hymer for four years ( I know yours isn't a Hymer(y)) I have learnt that all parts are stupidly expensive, if they created an option to combine a camera with brake light I fear you would need to buy a whole unit to replace either, having paid £45 just for the brake light on its own I dread to think what a combined camera / light unit might cost

Posted while well down my 4th G + T so equally unable to read and write :)(y)

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Having owned a Hymer for four years ( I know yours isn't a Hymer(y)) I have learnt that all parts are stupidly expensive, if they created an option to combine a camera with brake light I fear you would need to buy a whole unit to replace either, having paid £45 just for the brake light on its own I dread to think what a combined camera / light unit might cost

Posted while well down my 4th G + T so equally unable to read and write :)(y)

Well actually I have got the combined stop light and camera device which I bought from DRW for just under £100, but I then decided to fit a separate under-bumper camera and run it through the inside of the van, coz I didn't want to drill a hole through the outer body metal skin. Now I find that I could easily have drilled through the internal skin behind the stoplight, and into the inside of the van. I'll start further investigations tomorrow, but at the same time, I do have a fully functioning reversing camera that I have already fitted. I don't need two reversing cameras ...

I have also found
a TV coaxial cable inside one of the inside lockers, no idea what it is connected to. It doesn't seem to appear above the roof.

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
The base van had an interior light mounted above the rear doors and this would have been removed during the conversion. The plug and wires were most likely the supply to this light. Three wires were necessary as it was part controlled by a timer - probably fed from the ECU?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
beware re-utilising a vehicle sub loom, especially for a lighting circuit. This can have a bad effect on the canbus wiring system.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Could it just be a reversing light cable for the lhd model

Joe
It's a short cable intended for the centre top. I think ericroy above has probably got it right.

So that gives me an idea. My last van had a centre rear door light which served two functions. It nicely lit up the top cupboard (sometimes), and showed if the rear doors were not properly closed (sometimes). The sometimes of course depended on the timer. I could use it as a warning light source. I've just got to think that one through...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back