I feel a bit of a cheat

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by burtspieeater, Oct 23, 2015.

1. burtspieeater

burtspieeater Read Only Funster

Hello Everyone,

As I was twiddling my thumbs whilst the CC Club together forum was off air again, I surfed the net for something interesting and found this site! :rolleyes:
    I feel a cheat as we don't have a motorhome and not really sure if we do actually want one

After caravanning for around 30 years we were possibly contemplating making the switch but at the moment we are stuck with wanting a quart in a pint pot!
    We recently viewed lots of MHs at the NEC but nothing stands out so not sure if our motorhome is really out there and would we be better off staying with a caravan.

I can hear you all shouting "No, No ,No" but whilst we can probably see the advantages in good weather, our recent week away in cold weather showed the disadvantages - car much better than cycling when its cold and wet
    Anyway that is our dilemma and I look forward to reading all the differing views ( possibly all one sided on a motorhome forum :)) but it will be interesting!

• Like Like x 2
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

No cheat at all, delighted to welcome you here. If reading some of the posts here doesn't put you off the idea of a MH then you might actually be better off with one!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello Welcome to motorhome fun, does not matter wether it's a caravan, tent, or a van with a materess everyone is welcome to join in Fun. Have a read take a peak at some of the excellent blogs you never know you may join in with a Motorhome one day, in the meantime enjoy the forum. :welc:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. xsparks

xsparks Funster

Hire before you buy and give it a try and when you travel around like a snail you don't need to return for your home.

5. burtspieeater

burtspieeater Read Only Funster

We did actually hire one in Australia last year and we could see the advantages. We obviously saw hundreds during our 6 weeks in France this year but whilst motorhoming abroad is probably the upside I would suggest that in this country it shows the downside of motorhoming

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Hello and welcome from me too (although I still feel too much of a newb to welcome newsters)

This is a very active forum, some EXTREMELY knowledgeable contributors about motorhoming issues, but some great off topic stuff too.

Join in and enjoy the forum, but my advice would also be to try "Motorhoming"- I keep thinking that a caravan would suit my needs, very comfortable, doesn't need an MoT or tax, blah, blah, blah, but then I get in my 25 year old MoHo instead of the car and just go to the shops; it is unbeatable.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cleve

Cleve Funster

:welc: You will find out one way or another. I have a caravan and recently bought a mature Hymer which I plan to use for the next couple of years. On retirement I will replace her with a "younger sister" as I have found one which is the exact equivalent of my (French) caravan but with two seats and a steering wheel where the A frame would be. I was a VW Dormobile camper in a past life. Welcome in the water is warm and the natives are friendly. Clive

• Like Like x 1
  8. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Welcome Burt, you and Husky in one night :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

Welcome, we had a caravan until July last year then thought we'd have a look at motorhomes as we love touring but didn't like towing. Went to a massive motorhome site whilst away in Norfolk and decided to change. Not looked back since and loving it. Best of both worlds, just like a caravan as can tour be see loads of different places with total freedom but much more convenient as can stop in loads more places, inc free camps and non or little set up when we get there.

Whatever you decide is best for you you will fit in here if you have an opinion and enjoy outdoor life.

• Like Like x 1
  10. briantimber

briantimber Read Only Funster

Welcome Burts. Still very new myself, but glad to see a familiar name, you've made a good choice mate as all are very welcoming on here....So far:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. sedge

sedge Funster

I'm getting to the stage where I can't walk ever so far now and I must admit in the UK where there aren't any Aires, the pub or shop or whatever that we used to walk to from this CL or that one, is now too far - or we might go on a rally and maybe 'let's all go here for Sunday lunch' when you have to wait and see if there are enough cars for everyone in a MoHo to get a lift - is getting to me a bit.

But then we go abroad and there are aires - and maybe there isn't even a campsite near, even if it didn't cost an arm and leg in comparison to aires.

I just don't know! except - there is room on earth for all of us whether under canvas, in a 'tin tent' or a camping car, yes even in an hotel! - and we'll still speak to everyone!

• Like Like x 2
  12. The Dude

The Dude Funster

welcome animated smiley.gif

13. Huskydog

Huskydog Funster

Fancy seeing you here Burt !,looks a fun site:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Welcome!

You will only get the best out of a motorhome if you cut the chord and lose the reliance on Caravan sites.

A motorhome comes into its own if you use it as somewhere to sleep near to where you visit.
    Parking it on a base camp for a week and travelling to local attractions daily will have you yearning for your caravan again.
    Motorhomes really come into their own for Continental trips. There is a HUGE network of stopovers and motorhomers are far more welcome there than in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Hi & :welc:

16. Mel

Mel Funster

Hi & welcome

Mel & Lieve

17. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Whatever you decide, your welcome here Burt(y)

18. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

:welc:

19. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Welcome! Dilema easily solved. Weather shite = stay home. Weather good = get as far away as possible:)

The cardinal rule is follow the sun...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We had this dilemma for several years. Finally took the plunge 5 years ago at one of the big shows and we love it. My advice would be to take the bikes when it's fine and either use the van or take the bus when it's not. However, our usual solution is to go to the places we want to see en route including the supermarket. But as everyone has said you're welcome here anyway.

• Like Like x 1