Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Blaenpennal
Funster No
MH
IH Savannah gold
Exp
Since 2009
its not necesarily obligatory if we had a spot to fill we would look at the situation but you have tyo be prepared for the question and the parameters have to start somewhere otherwise i will be writing about campers over 7.5 metres long Eh?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Having looked at this thread from 'the sidelines' I can see where all parties are coming from, however.......

Nick100 is quite entitled to ask what he wants, it is HIS site. It also appears to me that he is not offering anything of any benefit to Motorhomefun members and (in my humble option) is bordering on being a 'Trade Member'. However he does appear to be fishing for compliments, reviews and future bookings.

For me personally I do not see the prices as value for money and I do think that the 6 metre threshold is too arbitrary and restrictive for the majority of motorhome owners. Serviced Pitches should be optional not mandatory.

Of course any perspective customer on here can 'vote with their feet' as it were ;)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
you have water electric and if you want it drainage all on you pitch

And for those that don't want it !
Why not offer overnighting with no services at your camping rate.It seems a shame to miss out by not offering a service tailored to our needs.

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
In this country there doesn't seem to be many camping car pitches as they are classed across the channel. Where the pitches are a lot smaller but offer electric. Is this because of the 6m rule that we have in the UK?

It would be nice in some campsites to have the option of paying less for a small pitch or basic parking space, but no one seems to offer it.

I personally at the moment would always go for a bigger pitch, but if i was touring the UK for longer would love the option of smaller cheaper pitches.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
And for those that don't want it !
Why not offer overnighting with no services at your camping rate.It seems a shame to miss out by not offering a service tailored to our needs.

Vlad
that's a good idea but it wont happen I have been on sites and don't need it but charged full price so I just plug in my fan heater and get my moneys worth it runs 24/7

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Having looked at this thread from 'the sidelines' I can see where all parties are coming from, however.......

Nick100 is quite entitled to ask what he wants, it is HIS site. It also appears to me that he is not offering anything of any benefit to Motorhomefun members and (in my humble option) is bordering on being a 'Trade Member'. However he does appear to be fishing for compliments, reviews and future bookings.

For me personally I do not see the prices as value for money and I do think that the 6 metre threshold is too arbitrary and restrictive for the majority of motorhome owners. Serviced Pitches should be optional not mandatory.

Of course any perspective customer on here can 'vote with their feet' as it were ;)
I think it's only right and fare for all traders on her to get a level playing ground if you make profit potential Frome your busnes by being on her your a trading member it's ferly black and white.
selling advertising good's and services to fellow funsters I think constitutes trading
bill

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have looked at your website and I wish you all the very best for your venture and the future and I'm sure you will do well as a lovely part of the world, however as someone who uses a lot of places across Spain, Portugal, Germany and France for around 5/7 euro's a night, why would I with a fully functional MH pay the prices your request ( I'm 7.5mts with scooter rack ) when I can park down the road from you for 5 quid a night. Granted you have/supply everything on site, but I don't need everything on site in a MH. Most MH owners what 4 main things these days:
1. Safe and secure ( first and foremost )
2. Level pitch
3. Somewhere to empty the waste
4. Wifi ( free were possible )
Anything on top is a bonus.

As I say I do hope it all works out for you.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
its not necesarily obligatory if we had a spot to fill we would look at the situation but you have tyo be prepared for the question and the parameters have to start somewhere otherwise i will be writing about campers over 7.5 metres long Eh?

Sorry Nick.. you missed my point.. it's not about length, nor indeed the pitch price.. it's about freedom of pitch choice..
if a camper arrives and you only have serviced pitches left, that's fair enough.. they can take it or leave it..

The Pricing structure of any site should be clear, unambiguous.. and fair. .. not wait.. "we will look at the situation" when you turn up.. that's not helpful..
As an example.. look at Parc Verger, French site owned by a Funster, they have a clear menu of prices Broken Link Removed

he also gives a generous 10% pitch discount to Funsters.. this has proved to be a very popular site and has grown a lot in the past 6 or 7 years since we first visited..

I do wish you all the best.. mine and others comments are only to help.. not put you down..

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Nick, no one on this forum will "put you down" only advise and if possible help.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Give the man a break..hardly an established business
not a new site but a established busses with fully service pinches tha site has been there six years that I know of
it is a established busnes with static caravans and caravan camping listing fully functioning website so just change of management that's all
advertised as established business opportunity I would think and purchased with books to show turnover profit and lose
so business trader
bill

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
In my opinion £25 per night for very basic camping is too much.
I shall stick to DA and THS and Funster Rallies for my basic camping needs. If I do need a site in the area i would look out for better value.
All the very best with your new venture Nick, time will tell if you if you've got it right.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I just plug in my fan heater and get my moneys worth it runs 24/7
Bill i can see where your coming from here but don't you agree that if use you electric to the max (unnesesarily) it just forces prices up up up. Some sites take £3-£4 per night for EHU so could be a vicious circle. If they don't get a return on their investment they have to up the price.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill i can see where your coming from here but don't you agree that if use you electric to the max (unnesesarily) it just forces prices up up up. Some sites take £3-£4 per night for EHU so could be a vicious circle. If they don't get a return on their investment they have to up the price.
yes that is true but why chare full price when you don't need it so sites can chare for electric you don't need so many charge over the top just for camping some sites charge £25 plus £ 5 dog plus £6 per this that son builds up
I am not saying this is the case there but so many rip you off for camping

bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am not saying this is the case there but so many rip you off for camping

yes, I agree... some sites (no finger pointing) do take us to the cleaners .. would be easier if they just had a barrel at the site entrance and asked you to bend over it .. that's how it feels sometimes..

but .. camp sites exist to make money, no ther reason, it's not a hobby, and will charge what the market supports.... that's how the service industry works.. capitalism in action ..

and while demand is outstripping supply, I can't see that ever changing.

We can moan and bitch, but the only answer is to vote with your wheels..

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Your right and i can't see the justification to charge £25 a night to stay in your own self contained van to get water a dump and a view.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We go out and abut a lot over the summer and the site that charges £15/18 ponds to camp get my money but there usually full.

The ones at £25+ usually have lots of room nice facility's but I don't need that just a parking space
so you know where we stay e usually just find a nice free spot.

And if we need to pay £25+ or even more some times its one night if battery's need a boost
but will stay for a few nights if price is wright ie 15/18 mark.

I fund a place up in the lakes last year £16 and it was farly full in mid winter and is chock-a-block in summer.
so site with 25 pitches with 12 occupied at £25=300 25 occupied at 18 =£480.

I am sure that in the OP case the site is very busy in summer as welsh wales is very popular.

I whish him all the best with his venture and will probably drop in any way if we were down that way
bill

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
how some of you can compare the variety and cost of sites/aires in europe with camping in the UK plainly ridiculous, its a different market here. what do CC sites charge for heavens sake. and they are more usually in an inconvenient spot with bu$$er all facilities

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I agree, however just because the CC sites charge you so much does not mean everyone has to. The way I see it is if the price is right the camp site will be full and MH owners who will return again and again.
I did not buy our MH to use it in an all singing all dancing camp site when I have everything inside MH and want to pay for things I would not use ( I know many do ) however if I wanted to do that I would sell our MH and drive to sites in car and stay in the lodge/mobile home/hotel as I'm paying for full package and maybe use some of the things they offer.
The UK will have to at some stage "get real" and look how many MH / caravan owners LEAVE the UK every day to holiday in EU where is is CHEAPER to use their pride and joy even after paying the ferry/Eurotunnel.
Enough said.

OP
OP
Nick100

Nick100

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Blaenpennal
Funster No
MH
IH Savannah gold
Exp
Since 2009
If we need to become trade members to have healthy debatte like this im prepared to do it, but lets just say that our scotjimland turned up without booking and all we had left was a service pitch, are we likely to try and stuff him for the full price if he didnt want it? Dont think so! further more yes we could look at discounts for funsters after all when we go away in our van we look for the same things

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think some of the discussion in this thread is a bit mixed up and not really relevant to the original OP, which was about a campsite. I've stayed in some expensive campsites in Europe, twenty odd euros a night for a basic pitch for the one at Ronda and some of the sites in Croatia I have read about have eye-watering prices. Of course there are lots of aires in Europe but they are a different thing and are popular although I've seen some grim ones which were more like crowded lorry parks. Some of the best sites in terms of sheer value for money I have stayed in have been Caravan Club ones out of season, typical around £15 per night for very good facilities, under floor heated loo blocks, spotlessly clean etc. Some of their sites also offer £11 a night mid-week as well. Of course they are not all in places you would want to go to but some are! I have used fully serviced pitches a few times and found them very convenient, especially when showering in the MH.

If you like aires, use them - as I have done, but I don't use them all the time. The nearest equivalent to aires in the UK are perhaps the CLs and Certified Sites although these are often a little expensive for what they are but I doubt they make their owners rich and most probably have a very short season - which is of course why some many people go to Europe each year, it's not the reduced costs but the weather and the promise of new experiences which attracts them ( and us and why we are paying around £650 for the Santander ferry which would almost get us a season ticket for a UK campsite). Some use campsites and happy to pay the extra to do so and that it what the OP is offering. Others prefer to save money and stay in aires either all the time and wouldn't be seen dead near a campsite or some of us like me use them now and again.

No need to fall out over these differences. :)

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
I think the charges for motorhoming in the UK are outrageous, i have bought my own plot of land to pitch on in the south east and will be using that rather than paying £25 upwards , it really makes me appreciate places like the lazy buzzard run by wildman (Roger) he has got to be real value for money at £7 per night after all most of us are self sufficient and just need a place to park and empty waste, i would rather spend my money on a package holiday than pay the stupid high prices some sites are advertising, i got charged £18 the year before last just to pitch a tent for 1 night, all i wanted to use was the toilet nothing else,

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We usually use camp sites when we are away from home. We don’t have solar panels but can survive for a couple of days with our leisure batteries. However we like the security of camp sites knowing that we can sleep peacefully at night without the fear of being woken by obnoxious, stupid and occasionally violent persons. For that privilege we are happy to pay - but we won’t pay excessive amounts.

We realise that the cost of maintaining a campsite is high – whether you are fully booked or not. Campers are more sophisticated these days and therefore expect higher standards than they did in the past. We certainly expect high standards of cleanliness in the showers and toilets cubicles.

Some people won’t stay on a campsite if they see that grass has not been mowed. Others will complain if the grass is being mowed whilst they are there. You cannot please everyone. Maintaining the grounds to an acceptable standard is a juggling act – particularly in British weather!

Campsite owners must maintain or upgrade existing infrastructure, electricity supply, water supply, sewerage, access, security, health and safety. None of this work is cheap.

Generally businesses pay higher rates for services than private homes. All this extra expenditure must be reflected in the cost of pitches. Otherwise the site owner will not survive.

@Nick100, we would like to wish you every success in your new venture.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've read through this thread with great interest and am sorry to say with what we want from an overnight stay we won't be coming as we think it's too expensive.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The prices do look a bit high.

I would think £10/£15 standard pitch and £15/£20 service pitch might be more like it.

I suppose you might want to suck it and see, but that's my two penny worth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back