I Don't want to see It!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brakers, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Brakers

Brakers Funster Life Member

Morning all you MHers
    I have a problem, Yes I know you lot, but that’s not the problem I’m thinking of.

I want to hang a 21”tv on my bedroom wall, the bedroom wall is part of the toilet wall so the wall is not that thick to say the least, I’m not sure what thickness board they use perhaps someone on here knows.

Anyway although I think the wall is capable of holding such an item the only way I would feel happy about the secure fixing would be to completely drill through and put some supporting aid on the toilet side, like large penny washers or a metal plate or as the supplier of the Motorhome said a plank of wood, What.

Now although these suggestions would work they are not what I call nice to look at when doing your ablutions.

I would have thought that there must be some sort of fixing out there which does not look like an idiot has done the job, you see it all the time in your Motorhome where they have used screws they put a little plastic plug over the screw head, that is what I’m trying to achieve something which looks reasonable.

There must be other times when we have to support things like this and cover fixings so they look reasonable, so I can’t believe I can’t find something which will suffice.

It seems so simple but how do you get a reasonable look on the toilet side.

I’m hopeful you good people will instantly point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your inspirational ideas or not as the case may be. :pray:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I have done similar. The walls are not fit to hold a screw so there is only one answer a large spreader plate. Steel would be the thinnest for strength. Then some beading and cover it with a plastic mirror ( available cut to size of ebay ).

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Gordon1808

Gordon1808 Funster

I've put a metal plate on the other side of the wall then hung a picture over it when I had this problem

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Tricky, you could try and calculate the wall thickness and work out construction material then decide if it's up to the job and length of screws.
    Failing that your gonna have to bolt through.
    Screw / bolt cap covers are easily sourced from eBay.
    Mine bolted to wardrobe so I didn't have your problem

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brakers

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

• Like Like x 1
  8. Baycott

Baycott Funster

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pilote87

Pilote87 Funster

Hi @Brakers,

Although I haven't yet used them The following comes highly recommended from friends, (assuming they are still operating)

Clarkes
    Unit 302
    Queensway Business Park
    Hadley Park,
    Telford TF1 7OL
    01952 605557

J

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Another way is to fit a reinforcing plate on top of the wall behind the TV, a nice piece of veneered ply behind the TV to spread the load.
    Why a 21" TV I would have thought a 17" would be fine at the end of the bed, also if you by a nice new LED one it will be less than half the weight of one a couple of years old, the latest ones are very light. I sometimes do a bit of contract work that involves fitting large monitors in call centres you just won't believe how the weight has come down in the last couple of years.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brakers

Hi Pilote87 Thanks for that yes it does look like they are still trading, I'll brows their website and see if they have anything suitable.
    http://csmirrors.co.uk/security-glazing/
    Many Thanks Tony

12. Brakers

Hi Lenny As the Americans say bigger is better and apart from that I've already got the TV. :)
    Best Wishes Tony

13. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

That's what I thought and if more than a year old it will be heavy compared with current offerings, why risk problems for a few quid.

15. Brakers

Hi Langtoftlad
    Never thought of that, but then we have the problem of knowing what weight the ceiling will take and what size blind bolts etc to use. Have you ever hung something from the ceiling of a Motorhome if so what bolts etc did you use to attach it to the ceiling?
    Many Thanks Tony

16. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Ha
    Have I done it?
    Good god no! :D
    I'm conventional - wardrobe wall, spreader plate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Brakers

Hi Lenny HB
    The TV is new and I'm fairly new to this Motorhoming so never had to think about problems like this before, I thought "Silly Me" there would be acceptable solutions for this type of problem, lets face it there are quite a few MH's and caravans about and this I'm finding is not the first time this type of fixing has been needed, but there does not seem to be any nice looking solutions without puting a spreader plate behind the tv mounting.
    Best Wishes Tony

18. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

stixsal a piece of 18mm ply on the bath room wall and screw into the disquise with mirror or picture

• Like Like x 1
  19. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The wall will comprise two layers of 3mm ply. Even if you fasten through from one side to the other you will crush the wall. With care you will find horizontal strengthening wood at some point up or down from where you want to mount the TV. Use 1.5mm polished stainless about 8" wide and long enough to pass over at least one strengthener. Mount your TV bracket on the plate centrally or below centre countersinking the fasteners. Drill holes for at least two or better four screws to mount the plate to the strengthener(s). Use car body mounting tape in strips to cover the rear of the plate then stick it to the wall. Fit the 2 or 4 screws. Don't forget to thoroughly clean the wall & stainless prior to applying the tape. Give it 24 hours for the adhesive to achieve max. grip before mounting TV. Polished stainless with the corners rounded looks good, costs very little, and will stay where it's put.

I've used this method of mounting before. It will never move.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

That was how they made caravans 20 years ago, the last caravan we had and both Hymers cabinets are made out of approx 10mm ultra light plywood, the caravan was German as well.

• Useful Useful x 1