I could never get Confused - But (1 Viewer)

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Nitrogen in my Tyres? I thought l must have misheard what the previous owner said to me when looking to upgrade my older van and never questioned as to why not air.

I went on to purchase the vehicle (August 2016 ) and having a Tyre Pal monitor each valve never had to top up .. so anyone else running on Nitrogen

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I run on a 78% mix. :xgrin:
But it has been discussed before and it is effectively a scam. Fine for aircraft or racing cars but any benefit on normal vehicles is undetectable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Most tyre place when they fit your tyres, will fill them with nitrogen. To answer the question, why not air, well the air (or atmosphere) is 78% nitrogen, so it nearly is. The reason for nitrogen filling, is that the oxygen part of air also carries moisture, which expands and contracts massively depending on temperature. The theory is that a pure nitrogen filled tyre will maintain its pressure over a greater range of temperatures.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the theory is good on high performance tyres for racing etc. but bulldust on a motorhome
get them filled with hydrogen and make the van lighter

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I saw an advertising sign the other day saying that a tyre company did free fitting, free puncture repair and free nitrogen ... so they are still doing it!

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
get them filled with hydrogen and make the van lighter

Better still helium wont go bang when you get a puncture ,plus if you get a bit drunk and get bored you can suck on the tyre valves and all talk like chipmunks(y)

Il get me coat :getmecoat:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Helium molecules are particularly small and most likely your tyres would end up like a deflated balloon in no time at all.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Helium molecules are particularly small and most likely your tyres would end up like a deflated balloon in no time at all.
.. which is I assume why the kiddies inflated balloons go down eventually.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The fitters at a well known international tyre company said they always filled with nitrogen when they fitted a complete set of new tyres as it helped to stop the change in pressures due to heating up during use.

Cobblers. I've got TyrePal sensors and if anything the variation in pressures was worse - so much so that I once stopped for a break because the pressures were getting too high for peace of mind and I was fed up with continually resetting the alarm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back