I could do with a dummies guide to all things motorhome

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Sianflower, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Sianflower

Sianflower Read Only Funster

Hey everyone,
    I'm completely new to this forum and a motorhome novice so have a million and one questions and help would be amazing!
    I am looking to buy a motorhome for me and my 4 year old daughter to go on some adventures and to use as an occasional run around.
    I have found a 1981 bedford CF6 47000 miles that I'm thinking of going to view on Saturday it's £2995 but have no idea if this is a good price. Was hoping to find something for no more than £2500 but I want something with a toilet and large enough for friends to come on trips.
    Does anybody know anything about bedford motorhomes? Are they easy to fix/ get parts for being so old?
    Am I completely mental selling my modern car to buy something older than I am? (My mum thinks so and has refused to bail me out when I fail an mot)
    Thanks for any advice xxx

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't know if its the right mh for you but if its in good order you won't lose much , they are going up in value all the time

3. Merle

Merle Funster

Wow, you are brave (or foolish) have you really thought through the problems you will get from what are usually old rust buckets. I realise you are after something cheap but cheap and motorhomes don't really go together. Perhaps you would be better off saving some cash up and going for an older Hymer or something like that....or is this to be your daily driver as well? if so then even more reason to use extreme caution IMO
    But good luck whatever you choose to do

• Like Like x 2
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Hi Sian (i assume its Sian ?) and welcome.

you should still be able to buy parts such as brakes, clutch, steering and suspension for a bedford CF from good motor factors....partco and Andrew page spring to mind.

cab body panels and parts (heater motor etc) may be another story though.

any idea who the converter is......Swift etc.....as that will help with parts for the actual camper part of the vehicle.

at 36 years old there is one thing you MUST check for, DAMP...damp is a motorhomes worst enemy and can kill a motorhome in no time.

extremely difficult and very expensive to eradicate and sometimes its too far advanced to be worth trying.

good luck and let us know the outcome on Saturday :thumb:

5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to motorhome fun, it is not so much the make of the van, but the condition, what is the body like is there any rust in it, any damp inside, look under the seat covers for mildew.

Can you look underneath for any rot, if the van looks solid and things work that should, then the price sounds ok, and there is nothing like getting away in the van lots of adventures to be had out there.

One thing I would say the £10 sub for this forum for 12months will be the best £10 you will spend, lots of information on here just ask. :welcomefunster:

Just seen PapaJohn has posted at the same time as me but think we both agree.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. pappajohn

one other thing.

dont be fooled by what appears to be a bargain on eBay, all too easy to get drawn in.
    always go to the sellers house to view before you bid or buy.
    if it sounds cheap for what it is then the chances are its a scam.

many of these so called bargains dont actually exist.....just scammers hijacking someone elses auction, you pay the agreed price then dont get anything in return.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sianflower

Hi yes it's Sian :) thanks for the advice. The is very little information about it on the site I found it on however when I phoned the owner was happy to answer any questions, I was mostly concerned about being able to get insurance and finding out about that first as tend to get my hopes up so trying to be realistic. It's just passed its mot so taking that as a good sign.
    I would probably use the mh once or twice a week to pop to shops etc as i walk alot, surely it's good to use it regularly then for them to just sit there till you decide to drive 300 miles?
    So manly I need to check no damp and rust?

8. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome from me, I would also say look very carefully for rust etc. the mechanics I don`t think would be a problem, it is the body etc, I saw some horrendous ones when I was looking back end of last year, I had to up the amount by a lot more than I intended to spend, my husbands advice was better to spend more to have a better vehicle, than buy cheaper then have to keep spending out, just when you want to use it. I bought a small one as it is my everyday vehicle, I sold my Volvo estate to put towards it . I love it.

Good luck and you will love it when you get one.

9. Carol

Is it a private sale or is it e bay, like PJ says take care on e bay, quite a few scams with motorhomes.

Can you get the reg number beforehand, the you can put it into the DLV web site and check out all the old mot's and see what work has been done on it.

10. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Is it diesel? A friend of mine had a Bedford CF petrol and had distributor problems. He scoured the country for a new/replacement distributor with no luck - and that was over 20 years ago!

:Sad:

11. Sianflower

Hi daisy, and thanks! I do think you are probably right about spending that bit extra, I wish there was a big showroom of old motorhomes to go and look round!

12. pappajohn

Insurance is never cheap for a motorhome...even for us old goats.

not asking you to divulge your age but under 25 and you wont get insurance for it.

as its 36 years old you could try classic car insurers such as Adrian Flux...their price should be cheaper than the mainstream insurers.

its impossible to even guess as your own circumstances will influence the price.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  13. Sianflower

Oh no!! It's petrol :-s

14. Sianflower

It's a private seller that I found on auto trader. I have the reg I will have a look on dvl not that it will make a great deal of sense I'm sure!

15. pappajohn

dont expect much more than 20mpg....even less in town.

16. chaser

chaser Funster

Oh no that's not so good, dear enough at that then, but they are a bit of a collectors item

17. Sianflower

I'm 23, Adrian flux is where I got a quote £150 cheaper than my current car insurance comp cover! So quite pleased with that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Carol

Sian, one positive thing about it being Petrol, as you live relatively close to London, with a Petrol you will be able to go into the LEZ zone but with diesel you would not. just a thought. :Smile:

19. pappajohn

you cant check the MOT on the number plate alone....you must have the current MOT test certificate serial number as well.

the only check you can make is for current road tax and when its next due,,,,,if its in the next few weeks.

20. pappajohn

Oh dear....that could be a stumbling block. :Sad:

never say never...always worth a try as an existing customer...assuming you did insure with them.

• Like Like x 1