I Can't Get My Head Around This... (1 Viewer)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don't know how it works but, coincidently, was passed by a van (of the white variety not motorhome) on M6 yesterday and it was sign written for the company advertising something like "for the best road embedded tyre pressure checking equipment"! Was thinking to myself how does that work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Well, while your reading the disclaimer, four midgets pop out of the control box base with gauges. Then, they run back in, and there you go! (y)

As we can't use MIDGET to describe dwarfism I guess you're talking about, "A tiny sub-species of the human race. Mainly raised in midget mills, for the entertainment of normal people. Midgets in the wild are attracted to sugar packets, and if captured they serve many purposes, such as, midget butlers, wrestlers, and as collectables."

I'm not sure if The Urban Dictionary is always correct :rolleyes:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Many years ago when you unpacked a new Japanese motorcycle from its crate there was a small box inside.
You got the bike out of the crate, got it basically set up and then opened the box.
two double jointed Japanese midgets would hustle out and do up all the stupidly placed nuts, bolts and screws that the Japanese designers had made completely inaccessible for normal human beings.

When a new model came out and new service tools were supplied the kit also came with a similar little box.
Maintenance of the midgets was high and there was several cases of midget missuse and abuse reported, so eventually the whole program was dropped in favour of employing designers who took in to account the standard human form

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As I've a poor Internet connection where I am I can't see the video but at a complete guess it may be something which measures tyre temperatures. A tyre with low pressure will be hotter than a one inflated to the correct pressure. By remotely measuring tread temperatures it is possible to identify a flat in the making.

Gosh! A sensible answer, I must be slipping. :)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
All for new technology.... If it works, and you are right Granjan, weighing would be great. (Don't have a public weighbridge anywhere around here that I know of). As for Midgets, aren't they those pesky little buggers that eat you alive in Scotland? ! :wasntme:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
While this is a clever system it still only gives you the tyre pressures at that moment in time and is surely soon,if not already, to be outdated by onboard tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) which I believe are becoming mandatory in new cars and hopefully all other vehicles.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
While this is a clever system it still only gives you the tyre pressures at that moment in time and is surely soon,if not already, to be outdated by onboard tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) which I believe are becoming mandatory in new cars and hopefully all other vehicles.
TPMS mandatory? I hope not there is already too much stuff to observe on the dashboard.

I have them on my car. I choose to ignore all the messages. If I could switch it off I would.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
As we can't use MIDGET to describe dwarfism I guess you're talking about
That's a strange one......o_Oo_O We cant say 'midget'? Since when was this? Looked it up on Wikki.

When interviewed for a 1999 piece, performers engaged in ongoing "Midget Wrestling" events stated that they did not view the term "Midget Wrestling" as derogatory, but merely descriptive of their small size
This is beyond me. If small people don't object to being referred to as 'midgets', then why the hell should anybody else? What's the 'new' PC term for really small people then, is it dwarf? Surely that's more insulting then midget? It conjures up visions of Snow White, and midgets with daft hats and beards.........:unsure::unsure:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
TPMS mandatory? I hope not there is already too much stuff to observe on the dashboard.

I have them on my car. I choose to ignore all the messages. If I could switch it off I would.

I have a handy gadget that switches off all unwanted dash board tell tales and works on ALL vehicles

I have a spare if you are interested ? £21 inc uk postage

Here is a picture of it:

3M-471-Black-Vinyl-Tape-2inchx36yards.jpg

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I have a handy gadget that switches off all unwanted dash board tell tales and works on ALL vehicles
Do you have a skin coloured version that switches off all unwanted front seat passenger nagging and directions on how to drive, which works in ALL vehicles? :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do you have a skin coloured version that switches off all unwanted front seat passenger nagging and directions on how to drive, which works in ALL vehicles? :)

Yes, I do, and they are available at all good chemists.. Commonly known as sticking plasters ( EXTRA LARGE ! )

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

The following copied from tyresonthedrive .com;

"Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) are not a new technology, having being introduced to the UK market back in 1992. But as that technology has developed and motorists have been encouraged to maintain their vehicles tyre pressure, as of November 2014, EU law has stipulated that every vehicle that rolls off the production line and into the hands of its new owner MUST have a TPMS installed.

Hence the new law surrounding your MoT test that was introduced at the start of the year. Since 2012, if your TPMS was found not to be working you would have been issued with an advisory. However, from the 1st Jan 2015 your vehicle will now fail its MoT if the TPMS light is illuminated (see image) or the sensor is not in full working order."

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Beware, it's a scam. They're after your bank details :(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's a strange one......o_Oo_O We cant say 'midget'? Since when was this? Looked it up on Wikki.

This is beyond me. If small people don't object to being referred to as 'midgets', then why the hell should anybody else? What's the 'new' PC term for really small people then, is it dwarf? Surely that's more insulting then midget? It conjures up visions of Snow White, and midgets with daft hats and beards.........:unsure::unsure:

In the states they refer to them as 'little people'

I normally disable the air bags. On the vehicle I have now the sensors at thefront of the car have been moved completely out of the way to under the bonnet.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Or like me, horizontally gifted ? ( as in I am as wide as I am tall !!!!!!!!!!!! )

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I get in to all sorts of shapes !! Most of them fairly unpleasant though :rofl: :imoutahere:

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
The following copied from tyresonthedrive .com;

"Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) are not a new technology, having EU law has stipulated that every vehicle that rolls off the production line and into the hands of its new owner MUST have a TPMS installed.

Hence the new law surrounding your MoT test that was introduced at the start of the year. Since 2012, if your TPMS was found not to be working you would have been issued with an advisory. However, from the 1st Jan 2015 your vehicle will now fail its MoT if the TPMS light is illuminated (see image) or the sensor is not in full working order."

Just as soon as I see that on anything from Vehicle and Operator Services Agency I'll believe it. :LOL:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Just as soon as I see that on anything from Vehicle and Operator Services Agency I'll believe it. :LOL:
From the DVSA web page Your Car and the MOT ( under components to be tested) ...
"tyres and wheels: condition, security, tyre size/type and tread depth. Spare wheels and tyres are not inspected. Note: vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 - check of the MIL for Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back