I am thinking of touring Ireland what about ferries?

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by dippingatoe, Nov 23, 2014.

1. dippingatoe

dippingatoe Read Only Funster

Thinking of going over to Ireland and Northern Ireland in the spring. What advise regarding ferries and how to get a cheaper (if possible) crossing

Can I sail from Fishguard? Thebus is nearly 10m long with the scooter on the back and 3.65 high

Thanks for any advice :)

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Definitely use one.

• Like Like x 13
  3. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

The cheapest way I found for our van was liverpool to belfast. Long crossing but can charged same as car.

Sonja

• Like Like x 3
  4. lorger

lorger Funster

We only live 70 odd miles from the ferry port in SW Scotland and can get to France cheaper than Ireland even counting fuel.

• Like Like x 2
  5. dippingatoe

Sorry - should have said - I will be in Wales just before the planned sailing (see not as stupid as you think Hilldweller) I looked at the Fishguard ones but got lots of not availables.

The ones from Holyhead to Dublin £134 lowest - single.

Would it be any cheaper if I booked via CC or C&CC ? I am a member of both

6. dippingatoe

I will contact them on Monday - thanks.

7. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Derek (Smudger) does this regularly and is the one to ask. he's in beni at the moment, and doesn't seem to be online much - but dave snowbird is parked next to him - drop him a PM and get Smudgers 'expert' advice - he is in an RV too(y)

• Like Like x 3
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we took a car to Dublin for a stag do last year, paid over £300 return

get ready for a remortgage or do Europe instead

• Like Like x 2
  9. andy63

andy63 Funster

there isn't such a thing as a cheap irish ferry from the mainland .
    I do the crossing to n Ireland 5 or 6 times a year and always from cairn ryan where both stena and p&o sail from.
    stena into Belfast and p&o into larne..
    not cheap ..and summer prices are very high... im there now and the crossing one way for a van under 6m was £84
    thas the shortest ferry, with a journey time of just over 2 hrs

• Like Like x 1
  10. dippingatoe

Umm..... how do I PM someone?

11. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Up in the top right of the page next to your user name is a inbox. Click on inbox, then click on "start a new conversation " type in members name, subject and message.

• Like Like x 1
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

My son works in Northern Ireland and he uses the Belfast/Liverpool ferry.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dippingatoe

Thanks - you learn something every day :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

just click on there avatar and there profile will come up click on start conversation
    bill

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brendan

Brendan Funster Life Member

Not sure about the prices from Wales, but having travelled four times this past six weeks from Scotland I can say there is very little difference in price between the operators.

There appear to be no cheap alternatives from up here, but that doesn't matter whether you're taking a car or a MH.
    The last time I took my 9m van over it cost £30 more than had I gone in my car (which I had been planning to do, just took the advantage of a week in the MH along the west coast).

It's true that you can get to the continent cheaper than Ireland, but that just leaves another trip for another day.

Having followed, and very much enjoyed, your blog from your trip up north, I suspect if you get anywhere near as much from a visit to Ireland as you did there, then the ferry will have been well worth the price.

But then being Irish I am somewhat biased.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

I booked through the C & CC and they give you 10 percent off and no charge for amendments on the liverpool to belfast route.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

We are off to Donegal for Xmas and New Year so will be organising a ferry shortly. Normally I fly as it's cheaper but the whole family are going plus the dogs so the comfort of the Motorhome for travelling is required.

I checked out the Kennels on the ferry in October and was totally satisfied with them. You can also access your dogs at any time and walk them on the deck. No pet passport required for this route either. Only drawback is 8 hour crossing.

• Like Like x 2
  18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Nothing to do with stupidity, just a bit of FUN in these miserable times, try and bring a smile to people's faces.

Ireland and Isle of Man two places we've not visited by MH due to silly prices for ferries and a bias to mainland Europe that just has more of everything we have in these little isles. Which is of course down to personal taste, people rave about the solitude of the Highlands whereas I rave about the bustling life on Lake Garda.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Dover Calais is the cheapest ferry cost ( apart from Woolwich which is free). We have been spoiled. I am always amazed by the cost of just about any other ferry anywhere in comparison.
    Phil

• Like Like x 1
  20. dippingatoe

Pleased you like the blog.

I have heavy cold/flu at present and am parked up on a site just outside Oxford. (V. good value at £10 per night with EU and wonderful view) But as soon as I feel a bit better I am really going to try and update it. I have been writing my travels up, but with the new apple programs and a website written in flash I cannot get to grips with the photo programmes.

Still the sun is shining at last after days and days of solid rain. Doesn't it always make one feel better. Mind you last few days I have been inbed anyway :-(

But on the subject of Ireland I have a few things planned, but as a native what are your real 'must do's'. I love any ancient local customs, and have recently see the Abbots Bromley Horn Dance, The Lord Mayors Show in London, and the Fenny Poppers - even got to fire one :)

I am aiming to spend a few weeks touring north and south and I hope to be over there around St. Patrick's Day, so what would be good place to spend that where I would be welcome as an "English"

Red Sonja - Thanks I will try and book through them to get my discount. Every little helps, and at 10 percent of £134 it not so little either

Hilldweller - I did see the joke - that was my bit of 'fun' repartee. So difficult on a keyboard.