I Am Sorry, And Please Note That My Darling Partner Is French, But... (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Off thread I know, so please excuse my rudeness jj, But, if I can ask your advice;
Would I need a single axle trailer or a duel axle to carry something that weighs one tonne?

I'm thinking of taking my 1932 Lister Generator to Newbury and Dorset, I won't have time to repair the Silencer or the piston rings, do you think Funsters would like the smell ofCastrol Racing fuel addative, or would they like Lavender oil smoke smell?

Waiting with bated breath, perhaps I should start a poll?
Decisions:rolleyes: Decisions :rolleyes:
If it is near me I will put some sugar in the tank. Let's see if it runs sweetly after.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
If it is near me I will put some sugar in the tank. Let's see if it runs sweetly after.

That's fine.. those old lumps will run on anything carbon based.. prefer it runny but it isn't essential..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
One of the many reasons I avoid using sites is the way you so often get squashed in next to people you don't know.

JJ.. we can all produce photos to support our argument.. there are busy aires and deserted ones.. and it depends on time of year

same with sites.. and off site parking.. there is no right or wrong way to camp.

We enjoy a mix .. of CLs, Aires, Club sites, private sites, off-site , etc .. only type we don't use are busy commercial sites, 'Haven' type sites with a bar and club and tons of entertainment..

The aire at St Dizant du Gua France... and this was in August

St Dizand du Gua aire.jpg

Wild camping Spain
DSC_0958.jpg

Wild camping Morocco
B0005754.jpg

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Jeeeez!

I AM NOT ON AN AIRE.

Believe me, it is NOT what is to be expected!

I am parked on an open space by the side of a lake in the middle of nowhere.

There is masses and masses of room to park without being 2 FEET from my windscreen.

You DO NOT get more space just because you pay for a campsite! ;)

Maybe my photos didn't upload properly.

JJ :cool:
I was speaking in general terms when I said this. Sorry I didnt mean you in particular.
I sat in an almost empty cinema once, only for someone to sit next to me ? I said why sit so close to me ? They said we always sit in this seat ! I moved. Strange.
Enjoy your trip
Phil

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
we can all produce photos to support our argument

Indeed!

And I more often than many for I have done some much off-siting for so many years.

In my experience aires and sites usually have many more vans on them than there are on my favourite off site locations.

Photos of my current place to follow once I have caught up with the lost hour!

(Nice van by the way.)

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This is the off-site motorhoming I choose to do.

This is why I don't "expect" to be crowded out by other vans...

20150329_141828.jpg

No swimming today though.

20150329_142000.jpg

Peace and tranquility...

20150329_142104.jpg

I prefer it here with freedom to come and go as I please to this...

20150209_172920.jpg

with all the site's rules and regulations (and cost).

Each to his or her own.

Motorhoming gives us the choice. (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Off thread I know, so please excuse my rudeness jj, But, if I can ask your advice;
Would I need a single axle trailer or a duel axle to carry something that weighs one tonne?

I'm thinking of taking my 1932 Lister Generator to Newbury and Dorset, I won't have time to repair the Silencer or the piston rings, do you think Funsters would like the smell ofCastrol Racing fuel addative, or would they like Lavender oil smoke smell?

Waiting with bated breath, perhaps I should start a poll?
Decisions:rolleyes: Decisions :rolleyes:
Duel axles fight all the time. Generator irrelevant.:)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Same thing on the aire at Portomao €2.50 me in the middle of the field away from everyone as I have a 17 year old dog who cannot be bothered with other dogs.
What happens 3 day ago a Frog parks at the side of me 20 feet away his door straight opposite mine, out jumps out a dog bark bark.
my old dog just wants to go inside,
lots of space all around but no needs to snif my sog unit.
buggered of after a few days and left his dog sh.t.
Have you noticed they only want to speak to you when they are on their own.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Why oh WHY do so many French motorhomers think it is ok the SQUEEZE in next to you with less than a metre front and back?

View attachment 57778

I had this beautiful space until a van decided it wanted to share the view and started a 72 move parallel park so his van was 2 feet from my bedroom window!

I was SO, SO cross I just started the Hymer and moved away. I should have waited until they had finished squeezing in and then I could have taken a picture...

Normally when visiting this spot there are two or three vans but this year... lots more than that...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

We had a similar problem when at the aire in Congnac when some dickhead in a UK registered van sqeezed inbetween us and the van next to us. He was so close I couldn't open our passenger door or the habitation door.
Just goes to show that selfish and ignorant folks come in all shapes, sizes and creeds.
Why oh WHY do so many French motorhomers think it is ok the SQUEEZE in next to you with less than a metre front and back?

View attachment 57778

I had this beautiful space until a van decided it wanted to share the view and started a 72 move parallel park so his van was 2 feet from my bedroom window!

I was SO, SO cross I just started the Hymer and moved away. I should have waited until they had finished squeezing in and then I could have taken a picture...

Normally when visiting this spot there are two or three vans but this year... lots more than that...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I've been trying to think up some words for a sign to stick in the windscreen to deter over-friendly French aire-ists.

There must be some message that would send them to the far corner of the aire but none come to mind.

In another thread, (I think the Dog Rant), a member here has wished upon another member that: "I hope your next bowel movements is a family of hedgehogs" - now if someone can dream up such a wonderful expression aimed at an Englishman then there is hope for something similar for Monsieur le Campingcarist.

All suggestion will be welcomed :)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your back passage Monseur.. !!
That may work, but I can't say it in French.. YET !!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Would a dead pigeon nailed to your habitation door put them off or would they just think "lunch"

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Write in small letters :"La liberté de chacun s'arrête là où commence celle du voisin!" Si tu peux lire ça ... tu es trop près! Tu empiètes sur MA liberté !

"Each one's liberty stops where starts the neighbour's one" . If you can read this , you are too near, and you are encroaching (impinge? trespass? I don't know how strong are these words) MY liberty!

But I do prefer the dog's chain outside and its food bowl! No words, but quite a warning!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
The calming purr of your classic Lister engine will drown out the music from the Ukulele band... :rofl:JJ :cool:

There's your solution, JJ - put a ukulele on your chair outside the van. No-one will park within 30 feet.

Works for us every time :)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Munchie.. That is definitely a phrase I will try and learn.. I like the idea of a large dogs bowl and a big chain attached to the van.. A "put off" for all and sundry, scrotes included..
You live in a nice place mate..
Mitch.. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back