I am on line with the MIFI (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Quick update, watched a few Huwei 586 Mifi's on Ebay, bid on a few but actually found it cost effective to buy at the 3G shop. £84.99 on PAYG with a 3gb preloaded sim. :thumb:

Peace of mind really, a years warranty and unlock codes readily available on Ebay for a couple of sqids should I need it.

Broken Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We bought Link Removed and a Link Removed works great :thumb::winky:
terry

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I am considering one of these to replace a dongle for my laptop, a sim from a old dongle in my ipad and internet on my iphone 4.

I need to check with Vodafone how much I am paying for the sim in my ipad (they don`t know its been in my ipad for the last 2 years). Each year they reduce the price to get me to stay so I think it`s quite cheap.

What is putting me off is if i do the above, it means carrying the mifi around all the time as none of my devices will work without it. Is carrying it, not losing it and having to keep it charged going to me more trouble than it is worth, just to save a few £ a month???

Is anyone doing this?

Is there any other benefit other than the docking station to paying more for the black one than the `basic` one?

Thanks

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I am considering one of these to replace a dongle for my laptop, a sim from a old dongle in my ipad and internet on my iphone 4.

I need to check with Vodafone how much I am paying for the sim in my ipad (they don`t know its been in my ipad for the last 2 years). Each year they reduce the price to get me to stay so I think it`s quite cheap.

What is putting me off is if i do the above, it means carrying the mifi around all the time as none of my devices will work without it. Is carrying it, not losing it and having to keep it charged going to me more trouble than it is worth, just to save a few £ a month???

Is anyone doing this?

[HI]Is there any other benefit[/HI] other than the docking station to paying more for the black one than the `basic` one?

Thanks

Steve

I wish I knew Encantador, fascinating thread, but I don't even know what unlocked means...........

...........I have a 3g pay as you go in my ipad, but if I could have put that in the MIFI and then run my lappy and my ipad and maybe even the phone, I would be better off. Is that how it works:Eeek:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I wish I knew Encantador, fascinating thread, but I don't even know what unlocked means...........

...........I have a 3g pay as you go in my ipad, but if I could have put that in the MIFI and then run my lappy and my ipad and maybe even the phone, I would be better off. Is that how it works:Eeek:

Yes, that`s exactly how it works, unlocked just means you can use any sim in it, often phones etc are locked to the network it came from, but most phones/devices can be unlocked.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I am doing this post using the 3 - miff I purchased... closed down my normal home server and have now managed to get on line with the mifi.... I purchased this for use in the RV.. so I can use the wifi when away.. I got it from a 3 store with 12g valid for 12 months £140 ish .. seems to do what it says on the tin..

oh well back to the normal settings

Bob

Good to see you posting again bob

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Well it seems that I have been paying £15pm with Vodafone for my dongle sim (now in my ipad) for just 3Gb pm.

I can get 10gb with 3 for the same price making the mifi route even more attractive.

Still put off by having something else to carry, keep charged etc though.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well it seems that I have been paying £15pm with Vodafone for my dongle sim (now in my ipad) for just 3Gb pm.

I can get 10gb with 3 for the same price making the mifi route even more attractive.

Still put off by having[HI] something else to carry, keep charged[/HI] etc though.

It's making a lot more sense to me though. I would only be carrying mine mainly on the boat or in the motor-home, so carrying it and charging it wouldn't be an issue, and do they lose their charge very quickly? Anyone know.........?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It's making a lot more sense to me though. I would only be carrying mine mainly on the boat or in the motor-home, so carrying it and charging it wouldn't be an issue, and do they lose their charge very quickly? Anyone know.........?

3 to 4 hrs use from a charge, but you can plug in a charger to either 12v or mains, both cheaply available and continue to use as it charges. pretty much the same as laptops and ipads

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
A quick update, been using the mifi for a couple of weeks now whilst touring NE Scotland (Dingwall area, Morayshire coast) and tonight the C & CC Speyside site.

Well impressed with both coverage and speeds, so its a big thumbs up from this happy camper. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
A quick update, been using the mifi for a couple of weeks now whilst touring NE Scotland (Dingwall area, Morayshire coast) and tonight the C & CC Speyside site.

Well impressed with both coverage and speeds, so its a big thumbs up from this happy camper. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
So was I until it stopped charging, bought it last week to bring away, been a brick for the last few days, having to pay to use the camp wifi.

Hope they don`t try and fob me off when I get back with a repair, it won`t be pleasant.

Anybody paying the £15pm for 5Gb, or is everyone on PAYG?

Steve

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
So was I until it stopped charging, bought it last week to bring away, been a brick for the last few days, having to pay to use the camp wifi.

Hope they don`t try and fob me off when I get back with a repair, it won`t be pleasant.

Steve
try taking the battery out and clean terminals, then reassemble and try again. have had this issue twice now but easily sorted both times. get it with phones too sometimes
maybe though you just got a dud, as its got to happen with all the millions produced

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
try taking the battery out and clean terminals, then reassemble and try again. have had this issue twice now but easily sorted both times. get it with phones too sometimes
maybe though you just got a dud, as its got to happen with all the millions produced

Thanks, tried that, no good.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
have you tried charging both ways? from mains and from usb. just seems odd if the battery was good and now not taking a charge

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

Steve

PAYG Steve, its only for use when away still paying for a home broadband connection so £12.50p for 3 months usage or 3gb fits quite nicely.

This part of Scotland is a notorious "Black Hole" for internet dongles, I still have a Vodafone dongle and it is unusable up here, so hats off to 3G. :thumb:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Starting to get the picture now. So, if I bought one of these from the 3 shop on payg then I could use it in France but as it is registered in the uk then it would suck data out of it so fast. Now if I purchased a new sim to use in France as seen on a previous post would this work or to do this would I need to purchase an unlocked mifi fro eBay or somewhere else?
Thanks

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yes you got it :Smile:
Link Removed search to see if any cheaper :thumb: