I am obviously having a blonde moment...........

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Taff015, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Taff015

Taff015 Read Only Funster

Hi again,

Whilst this MH searching is fun and all that, I have realised that I must be thick.

I have ben drooling over Hymer A class vehicles and their like and am eagerly waiting for my bank balance to hit the magic number so I (we) can get one. (don't even get me started on the Yank RV's or the 5th wheel trailers that I think I want!!)

This is an example of what I am looking at etc etc (this is todays favourite and subject to change at a whim!!) http://www.motorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes-for-sale/hymer/b-class/b-754/1633/

Now this is where the blonde (grey actually) bit comes in. Why would I spend 29k on a 15 year old van when I can get a 3 year old Rimor Katamarano 9 for the same price or less?

Is the difference in quality worth 13 years in age? I mean, I have kids and a dog so there is no way on this planet that whatever I buy will look nice for long!!!!

TLDR version.....why buy a 13 year old A Class when I can get a 3 year old Coachbuilt for the same or less?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

IMO ... Travelworlds price is over the top for that year of Hymer..by about 9k

My B644, similar spec, roughly the same age, mine is 2001 , ... bought from Becks in Gt Yarmouth and cost £19k ..
    just checked..no second hand Hymers in stock at present.

view here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/showcase/hymer-b644.114/

another on the Forum.. slightly older and with slight damage , a bargain at £13.5 k http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/hymer-b-class.116456/#post-1562633

Comparing Hymer and Rimor is comparing apples and pears

• Like Like x 1
  3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Don't buy in the UK is the answer......You want to buy a more recent van at a good price the only choice is to import a LHD one. Your link to a company that charges outrageous prices..the Hymer van we are looking at on their site for £20,000 more then I can import one for....

here are 2 from £18000:rolleyes:

http://tinyurl.com/nrypow5

want a hand with the process of importing? there are many knowledgeable members on here. just ask:)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Taff015

Thanks for the info. What I may do is find the van we want.......then find it in germany!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Hymer is a quality product and this does look like its in very good condition. However I would be concerned that a 2000 year will probably be pre common rail and therefore noisy and underpowered. I would try and get at least a 2.8 JTD.

You dont mention whether you have a p/ex? if not then Mobile.de is a good place to look but be prepared to travel and to look at some rubbish.

If you have a p/ex why not look around the dealers for something a little more modern, they will be keen to move stock before the winter sets in so expect to do a deal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Also why not try a thread with 'hymer wanted' in the title?

• Like Like x 1
  7. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Taff015

I wasn't specifically after a Hymer. I was hypothetically wondering why I would buy a 13 year old vehicle (in this case the Hymer) over a 3 year old Katamarano for the same price.

My rationale was that surely a newer vehicle would be better, even though its a lower spec? Or am I comparing a Fiesta with a BMW 5 Series?

9. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Yes you are there is a massive difference in quality between a Hymer and a Rimor, in size as well in this case because AFAIK you cant buy a tag axle bar version Rimor. I really think you need to ask yourself what you are looking for.

I see this would be your first MH. What else have you looked at?

Jon

10. Taff015

Everything!!!!!! (even considering American RV or 5th wheel)

At the end of the day, value for money is king. Followed closely by reliability. I cant be arsed with things that break down or need constant fixing!!!!!

11. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

on that basis you are probably as well off with a PVC but I suspect price and value are not your only concerns..

for your first MH / van layout layout layout.. once you have your layout worked out then you can narrow your search to the vans that have that layout and from there look at the options and compare price and age.. bear in mind for some of the bigger A classes something 30 years old with one owner that used it for a fortnight a year and kept it in dry storage is perfectly plausible as is a 2 year old ex hire van that has been out every weekend with who knows using it and a few festivals thrown in for good measure. Age is really not everything

• Like Like x 1
  12. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

You can go to Belgium on a day trip and get around a few decent dealers,look at their used stock and get a real idea on VHM.

here is ones used stock. good company easy to deal with 1 hr from Calais

edit: usually have more stock then this....

http://lambrechtmotorhomes.be/index.php/nl/tweedehands

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Taff015

I have friends in Germany so will probably go for a "visit"!!!!!