I am envious of those going abroad this year

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by estcres, Sep 29, 2013.

1. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

We have had a very hectic 12 months, with selling our house in November, living full time in the M/H until April, moving into a rented flat, buying a new house, carrying out alterations and finally moving in.

Now my wife has been told that she has to go into Hospital for an operation within the next 4 months and will then have 2 - 6 weeks physio whilst her arm is in plaster. That takes us up to next Feb before we can plan anything.

I wouldn't want to travel to far as she could be called in for the operation at very short notice also I will not travel just after as she will most likely have no insurance cover.

In the meantime I read all sorts of tales on here of people preparing to travel South for the winter.

I am envious.

2. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Don't be it's an old fashioned point of view but
    The Good Lady must have Priority:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  3. B-well

B-well Funster

Health before enjoyment then you can have the best of both.:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Well at least you are in Bournemouth !

Peter

5. estcres

Sun, Sea and, oh bugger, forgotten the other one:Rofl1::Rofl1:

And Poole is a 10 minute bus ride away. ferries to the continent

6. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Ahaa, Don`t fret, they get wild storms, cold wet weather down south too---sometimes:Wink:

7. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Well if it's any consolation we are in the same boat.:cry:

Last visited our house in Spain October/November last year, early this year wife's knee problem worsened and had to stay here waiting for arthroscopy operation on her knee. Unfortunately that didn't improve things so had to stay here waiting for an appointment to have a knee replacement operation. Now have 15th October as the date so certainly won't be venturing out in the motorhome until next year.

Mike

8. bailey

bailey

Why the old wrinkle's are the only ones going south, Me I'm heading north . And if you are heading south could you please cancel your heating allowance as a tax payer in resent that option

Bill

9. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Why?

They have paid their taxes, they reside in the UK, so they are entitled.

Who has nicked your happy pills?

• Like Like x 5
  10. bailey

bailey

The poor and the needy that's who I'm glad the government are looking at this as it's a benefit and it's disgraceful that you can spend the winter touring Europe and still claim this benefit

11. buttons

buttons Funster

I think he has a point. Heating allowance is paid on a registered property not to an individule. The claimant receives this allowance to heat that property. As far as I am aware claiming that allowance to heat your motorhome in Portugal or Spain is not what it is intended for. Please correct me if I am wrong. :Smile:

12. bailey

bailey

Your not wrong it's on the property and the government are going to clamp down on it hopefully

13. estcres

I think you will find the government are looking at taxing the heating allowance for those who claim it in the UK but, live abroad.

There are thousands of people who live abroad but keep a UK bank account and contact address and accept all sorts of benefits.

They also come back to the UK for treatment under the NHS as they consider it to be their entotlement.

If you only go abroad for a few months you still have to heat your property in the UK.

By the way, heating allowance is paid to the individual/s and is linked to their state pension. That is how people living abroad can get the allowance together with their state pension and other allowances and you cannot reject the payment but, you can spend it as you like so therefore give it to a charity.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  14. ShiftZZ

The individual has paid his taxes, the current rules state that he/she is entitled to that money. How they chose to spend that money is up to them, if they want to drink it all or spend it on wine gums, their choice.

Also, if they are in Spain or Portugal during the winter they may well be using the allowance to heat their homes. Therefore reducing the risk of frost damage and keeping the home insurance premiums down.

As a matter of interest Bailey, as you think or suggest that the poor should benefit from the heating allowance, ever thought of handing yours back, or are you suggesting that as Scotland is colder than the rest of the UK they should get more?

Buttons, where do you draw the line? If a pensioner wishes to go for a week’s holiday to see their son/daughter in France during the winter should they lose a week’s heating allowance? The administration of the system would be horrendous.
    Offering pensioners a heating allowance must save the NHS a fortune in not having to deal with cold related illnesses.

Lastly, I very much doubt if any party would remove the benefit wholesale, I know Labour would not, the Tories may mean test it, but it’s hardly a vote winner.

15. estcres

16. bailey

bailey

The heating allowance came in to help the elderly who we're struggling to heat there house, in the winter and keep warm. You don't have to keep your heating on even in Scotland. I'm afraid if you can tour Europe and indeed stay in Europe this and many other benefits should be withdrawn. My sister stays in Portugal and often returns for NH reasons. Give the benefits to the people that deserve them.

17. buttons

buttons Funster

I'm not sure where you would draw the line but if this benefit was given the same scrutiny as other benefits are being given then many would be loosing it. Including those wealthy individuals spending their winters roaming in a motorhome around southern Europe. Could you imagine what the Daily Mail could make of it.:thumb:
    Would you like me to give you a DM headline.

18. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I`m not old enough yet to receive it yet ---

I always had a vision about the benefit being there to stop lonely old people sitting in a chair freezing to death.

Not for fit 60+ year olds touring Europe in the sun in a £££££ MH and spending ££££ on fuel for a MH not a boiler.

Maybe I ought to start filling in forms to claim for more freebees ,then I can go on tour all winter:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. ShiftZZ

Freebies? Not so, they have paid into the pot.

What about clamping down on those who by choice have paid FA into the pot!

Buttons, which ones of these would you remove from pensioners?
    Free prescriptions
    Free Eye tests
    Free TV License?
    Free Health Care?
    Free Bus Passes?

So you are more than happy to take away from those who have paid into the system, what would you suggest we do to those who have paid nothing?

Anyhow, the number of pensioners who go overseas in their motorhomes is relativly small, at best say 10,000.

And what would you spend the savings on?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  20. alan

alan Funster

Heating Allowance

£200 is'nt exactly life changing and i do'nt think there is many people on this forum that would go without heating if it was withdrawn.
    I've been receiving it for the last 11 years and yes I spend my winters in Spain and have no intention of donating it to any charity or any other cause.
    Alan