I am considering one of these ? (1 Viewer)

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
2006 Hobby 585AK 2.3L JTD 3500kg Max, ALKO chassis

I have been told it returns over 30mpg, which seems a bit too good from my experience, although it does have nice sharp edge on the overcab rather than a flattish curve?
Also, the top of the van is flat along it's whole length so cutting down turbulence after the overcab?

Any opinions on the accuracy of the claim?

Thanks

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Bound to be a bit optimistic!

Subsonic stuff is more aerodynamic if it is teardrop shaped and more pointy at the back!:Eeek:

Think of the shape of an aircraft wing.

The hobby overcab would work well at mach 1!!!!:roflmto:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
30mpg on the flat at around 40mph
Going from the number of vans I have had and the mpg I got from them
<-----in that van there (My current one) Its 3.3 tonne 2.3 multi jet 6 speed, at 40mph I can get just a shade above 40 mpg in 5th gear, if I change to 6th it goes down because of the labouring engine so I have to increase my speed which also drops the mpg further at 50mph I can get around the 35mpg
Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
A Hobby good chioce, but i would a realistic mpg would would be around 28mpg, go for that and you won't be dissapointed, and if it fits your bill good luck and happy motoring.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I think "aerodynamic" and "motorhome" probably should not appear in the same sentence.

That said, I think anything like 30mpg for a 3 tonne plus vehicle is quite amazing. Weight for weight a car would be achieving 90mpg to be equal.

How about one of these?

navette.jpg

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
<--- Delyth never seems to go under 30mpg wherever she goes - 2.5td :Smile:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
2006 Hobby 585AK 2.3L JTD 3500kg Max, ALKO chassis

I have been told it returns over 30mpg, which seems a bit too good from my experience, although it does have nice sharp edge on the overcab rather than a flattish curve?
Also, the top of the van is flat along it's whole length so cutting down turbulence after the overcab?

Any opinions on the accuracy of the claim?

Thanks
Hi,To get back on topic i have a hobby toscana 750 with the x250 30l engine weight 4.5tons and returns around 25to 27 mpg.This our 4th motorhome and by far the best, build quality is 1st class.
I recon iff the layout is right for you and the condition is good you wont go far wrong.Thats my opinion for what its worth.:Smile:
JohnM.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have its big brother and I am really pleased with it, BUT, my MPG varies a lot according to conditions and leaving it on cruise up hill has an effect as well and the end of the day its about choice and what you need, if you want high MPG its a mini MoHo or a van conversion after that the higher, heavier and longer you are MPG goes into a downward spiral.

My Hobby Sphinx gross's at 5.2t will tow a 3t trailer has 1050k payload its on a RWD Iveco and I am still really pleased with it after 16 months/ 7000 miles of ownership, BUT I do not crawl along thinking about fuel consumption I usually cruise at 60 - 63 towing or not and get between 20 & 24 mpg, the worst journey I have ever had a few weeks ago from Rugby to Gateshead learnt me a hard lesson on cruise control in a fierce headwind when I dropped to 17 - 18mpg, I also that the term " up Norf " is very true when you are driving a brick in a fierce head wind !!

My Hobby is well built very well insulated and has a huge garage in it that can carry 6 of our dogs in complete comfort so I will accept the lower mpg as the benefits outweigh it

Dog lovers may like this

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQGjLurgEQ"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQGjLurgEQ[/ame]

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
More info after viewing the van ...

Viewed and had a drive of the van today. 2006 2.3 Ducato
Very good and stable with good hill climbing and power. Very smooth.
It seems the owner fitted a "Kingquick" tuning box when he first bought it 5 years ago as it was sluggish when loaded @ 3500kg max. The performance was much improved (I found it excellent) plus he said fuel consumption improved from 22/23 mpg to 27/28mpg when the box was fitted..

Any thoughts on this, and could this have caused damage to the engine (over it's 12,000 miles) or not?
Also, does anyone know much about this make of box.
http://kingquick.co.uk/store/Fiat-Ducato-2.3-JTD-110-Diesel-Tuning-Unit.html

Thanks

Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012
I recently bought a 2009 Hobby Van Exclusive Ford 2.3 140bhp. It a low profile and no bulges sticking out. Bring it back from the dealer in Notts to the NWest I manages a surprising 34mpg but it was empty. Going out loaded for a few trips is gicing me 28/29mpg.
The Hobby a very easy drive, plenty of power in reserve, and smooth - the added air suspension helps. The van is very well built and insulated with loads of storage. I can fully recommend it. A great buy.:Smile:

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Anyone ?

Problem is I promised I would make a decision on the van this weekend :thanks2:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hobby nice van..
Mpg claims.....I doubt it.
Tune BOX ? Not likely to cause irreparable engine damage....worst case scenario premature clutch failure if you believe some...

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
We have had our hobby 670 for a few weeks which is a very similar shape to that one but it has a 2.8 in it

I haven't bothered calculated the MPG but I drove it home flat out 150miles at above the legal limit (and continue to drive it flat out :RollEyes:)

It must be still managing mid 20's mpg which I am amazed by.

As everyone has said they are well made and very well designed too we are very happy with ours.

When its time for a change again it will be another hobby.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back