I am considering one of these ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by joggerman, Mar 15, 2013.

1. joggerman

joggerman Read Only Funster

2006 Hobby 585AK 2.3L JTD 3500kg Max, ALKO chassis

I have been told it returns over 30mpg, which seems a bit too good from my experience, although it does have nice sharp edge on the overcab rather than a flattish curve?
    Also, the top of the van is flat along it's whole length so cutting down turbulence after the overcab?

Any opinions on the accuracy of the claim?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Bound to be a bit optimistic!

Subsonic stuff is more aerodynamic if it is teardrop shaped and more pointy at the back!:Eeek:

Think of the shape of an aircraft wing.

The hobby overcab would work well at mach 1!!!!:Laughing:

3. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

30mpg on the flat at around 40mph
    Going from the number of vans I have had and the mpg I got from them
    <-----in that van there (My current one) Its 3.3 tonne 2.3 multi jet 6 speed, at 40mph I can get just a shade above 40 mpg in 5th gear, if I change to 6th it goes down because of the labouring engine so I have to increase my speed which also drops the mpg further at 50mph I can get around the 35mpg
    Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  4. alfandM

alfandM Funster

A Hobby good chioce, but i would a realistic mpg would would be around 28mpg, go for that and you won't be dissapointed, and if it fits your bill good luck and happy motoring.

5. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

I think "aerodynamic" and "motorhome" probably should not appear in the same sentence.

That said, I think anything like 30mpg for a 3 tonne plus vehicle is quite amazing. Weight for weight a car would be achieving 90mpg to be equal.

How about one of these?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

What's that, a derailed high speed train ?

• Like Like x 2
  7. stcyr

stcyr Funster

<--- Delyth never seems to go under 30mpg wherever she goes - 2.5td :Smile:

8. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

It's the "new" HS2.........

Not 30 mpg........ but £30/mile for a cattle class ticket.......:RollEyes:

9. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

Yes
    £30 per mile, that's what I herd

10. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Hi,To get back on topic i have a hobby toscana 750 with the x250 30l engine weight 4.5tons and returns around 25to 27 mpg.This our 4th motorhome and by far the best, build quality is 1st class.
    I recon iff the layout is right for you and the condition is good you wont go far wrong.Thats my opinion for what its worth.:Smile:
    JohnM.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I have its big brother and I am really pleased with it, BUT, my MPG varies a lot according to conditions and leaving it on cruise up hill has an effect as well and the end of the day its about choice and what you need, if you want high MPG its a mini MoHo or a van conversion after that the higher, heavier and longer you are MPG goes into a downward spiral.

My Hobby Sphinx gross's at 5.2t will tow a 3t trailer has 1050k payload its on a RWD Iveco and I am still really pleased with it after 16 months/ 7000 miles of ownership, BUT I do not crawl along thinking about fuel consumption I usually cruise at 60 - 63 towing or not and get between 20 & 24 mpg, the worst journey I have ever had a few weeks ago from Rugby to Gateshead learnt me a hard lesson on cruise control in a fierce headwind when I dropped to 17 - 18mpg, I also that the term " up Norf " is very true when you are driving a brick in a fierce head wind !!

My Hobby is well built very well insulated and has a huge garage in it that can carry 6 of our dogs in complete comfort so I will accept the lower mpg as the benefits outweigh it

Dog lovers may like this

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQGjLurgEQ"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQGjLurgEQ[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  12. joggerman

More info after viewing the van ...

Viewed and had a drive of the van today. 2006 2.3 Ducato
    Very good and stable with good hill climbing and power. Very smooth.
    It seems the owner fitted a "Kingquick" tuning box when he first bought it 5 years ago as it was sluggish when loaded @ 3500kg max. The performance was much improved (I found it excellent) plus he said fuel consumption improved from 22/23 mpg to 27/28mpg when the box was fitted..

Any thoughts on this, and could this have caused damage to the engine (over it's 12,000 miles) or not?
    Also, does anyone know much about this make of box.
    http://kingquick.co.uk/store/Fiat-Ducato-2.3-JTD-110-Diesel-Tuning-Unit.html

Thanks
    [​IMG]

13. Hobbyhorse

Hobbyhorse Read Only Funster

I recently bought a 2009 Hobby Van Exclusive Ford 2.3 140bhp. It a low profile and no bulges sticking out. Bring it back from the dealer in Notts to the NWest I manages a surprising 34mpg but it was empty. Going out loaded for a few trips is gicing me 28/29mpg.
    The Hobby a very easy drive, plenty of power in reserve, and smooth - the added air suspension helps. The van is very well built and insulated with loads of storage. I can fully recommend it. A great buy.:Smile:

14. joggerman

Anyone ?

Problem is I promised I would make a decision on the van this weekend :thanks2:

15. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hobby nice van..
    Mpg claims.....I doubt it.
    Tune BOX ? Not likely to cause irreparable engine damage....worst case scenario premature clutch failure if you believe some...

16. jeepmadmike

jeepmadmike Read Only Funster

We have had our hobby 670 for a few weeks which is a very similar shape to that one but it has a 2.8 in it

I haven't bothered calculated the MPG but I drove it home flat out 150miles at above the legal limit (and continue to drive it flat out :RollEyes:)

It must be still managing mid 20's mpg which I am amazed by.

As everyone has said they are well made and very well designed too we are very happy with ours.

When its time for a change again it will be another hobby.