I am a bleeding idiot

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gromett, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I decided to defrost my fridge....

I turned it off and opened the door. An hour later I saw that the inch thick ice under the freezer compartment was starting to sag so I decided to give it a bit of a hand with a knife.......

Yup. I punctured the pipe and got a long, loud and smelly stream of the gas coming out.

One fecked up fridge just because I had no patience.... :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

Off to cook all my food and eat it now....

• Like Like x 1
  2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you may be able to find a local fridge place that will solder it and re-gas it for you. but do it soon they dont like doing it if its left awhile as water can get into the works . google refrigerators in your are . bound to be one .

3. Phill D

Phill D

"been there" :cry: horrible annoying sinking " expensive " feeling:Doh:.

They say " patience is a virtue" i often wish i had more and while i'm in confessions mode .... read the odd instruction booklet " before"!!!!!!!!:Rofl1:

good luck with the extended proteen meal:Eeek:

4. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I was working in the middle east a few years ago. Saw guys working in the street, soldering up fridges and regasing with the most simplist kit.

5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Not much help now I know, but if you are tempted again use a wooden spatula, it works without the risk.
    Hope the cooking goes well.

6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have a friend who does it. However he has disappeared off the face of the earth about 2 years ago. He would solder the copper on the back of a fridge or braze the steel. Not sure about the inside though as it is aluminium which is a sod to work with... It's an old fridge so probably had freon in it as well.

I won't bother to be honest... I did do a search but it is likely to cost between £100-£200 these days due to enviromental issues... I needed a smaller fridge anyway. Just not now...

I know, I have a scraper just for this job. I couldn't find my scraper so being impatient I used a knife with a very sharp point :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

I am an idiot and a fool... I have just saved up enough money to get new tyres all round and a new oil sump fitted. I now have to decide which is most important.

To cap it all off my mum has just told me today that her infection is back so I may have to cancel Portugal for the second year in a row. She had her hip done a year ago and it is still getting infections in the wound... I daren't leave in case she needs me. I could never forgive myself if something happened and I couldn't get back..

7. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

Cold beer........no contest!! :drink:

8. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Gromett I have or I should say my mate has ( my ) old 3 way fridge that was/still is working last time we plugged it in :BigGrin:It is about 70 ltr but with the old gas jet viewing glass in the inside cnr.You are welcome to it if you are anywhere near me.If you want it let me know and I will make 100% sure it is both working and he still has it :thumb:Not sure where it is hiding as his shed is almost as bad as my garage :BigGrin:
    terry

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Thanks Terry, That is extremely kind of you. Unfortunately I have no vents on the van as the current fridge is a compressor fridge. I will have to bite the bullet and buy another compressor fridge...

Thanks again though..

10. peter marshall

peter marshall

Yep :Wink:

11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

sorry to hear that, however being and accident rather than wear and tear it is surely covered by your insurance? I hope so anyway. do let us know how you get on.

12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

...and a hair dryer.

Wyn

13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Well, Third day without the fridge and it has not affected me in the slightest. I have adapted to it very easily without issue.

The upside is my batteries are staying fully charged. I can stay off hookup indefinately now :thumb::thumb:

More wilding:Eeek::Rofl1:

14. acting_strange

acting_strange

Well Gromett me old mate I have to say that me and you often differ in our opinions but in this particualr case I can honestly say that I wholeheartedly agree with you 100 %...:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

On a more serious note I hope your mum soon gets better...:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1