Free Member
May 31, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good day to you all. While looking for a Hymer A class for full-timing ,would I be right in observing the quality of the interior of the older Hymers is better than the newer vans? I've been looking at the b564 1993 ish. I do prefer the classic looks. The only thing that concerns me, are the spares still around? I was reading an article in the MMM [april 2013] about Dave the Hymer by Jay and Julie they paid 1,400 euros for replacing the clutch and clutch fork in France [sounds a lot for a clutch ] Have you had problems with spares inside or outside your hymer. Does any of you have a Hymer 564 and if so how cheap is it to run? Look forward to your comments .

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
Good day to you all. While looking for a Hymer A class for full-timing ,would I be right in observing the quality of the interior of the older Hymers is better than the newer vans? I've been looking at the b564 1993 ish. I do prefer the classic looks. The only thing that concerns me, are the spares still around? I was reading an article in the MMM [april 2013] about Dave the Hymer by Jay and Julie they paid 1,400 euros for replacing the clutch and clutch fork in France [sounds a lot for a clutch ] Have you had problems with spares inside or outside your hymer. Does any of you have a Hymer 564 and if so how cheap is it to run? Look forward to your comments .
I have a Hymer B 534 1995 , quality of the interior fittings far better that some modern vans that we looked at . as for spares mine is on a fiat ducato 2.5 TDi , and spare parts are not a problem . at the moment getting round about 28 mpg . The build quality on older Hymers is suberb if looked after they will run for years and give you so much enjoyment Have fun and when you have one Enjoy .

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
I have to agree, the older models are IMO better built, and longer lasting.

Our is a Staarline 700 on a Merc chassis, 2003, and in the last three years:

One kitchen sink tap has been replaced, and one shower head tap.

The Electrobloc was blown up by a "spike" in Spain, ours wasn't the only one!
a replacement exchange was no problem once we were back in UK. Our choice to wait until we returned, we could have exchanged it in Spain. We also had a circuit protector fitted to avoid any reoccurrence.

The rear suspension springs were replaced after a piece of one spring leaf broke away.
These had to be Merc. brand, no factors stocked the same type "two leaf" cost around £800 parts and labour.

The last two were covered by insurance warrenty, thankfully, but overall economic to run and maintain.

Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Or get an old one on a Mercedes base - spares are not much of a problem as Mercedes will have most of them in stock! Ours is serviced in the Mercedes Truck garage and spares for a 410D of 1992 vintage seem to be no problem at all.

Except for those strange bits, like the wiper motors (off a 1992 Renault Traffic!!).

Cheers

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
All parts are easily obtainable for our 1991 Globetrotter (same as Hymer), on Fiat 2.5td.
Friends with 1991 Hymer needed a new starter-motor last week - supplied and fitted in 2 days including ordering.
New wiper motors available on ebay.de ...
Don't often need parts though ... :winky:

(over last 3+ years, replaced one drive-shaft gaiter (£2.90) and one regulator gubbins on the alternator (£15) ... oh, fitted a new engine battery last week to replace the 6 year old one...)

:thumb:

herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
hymers

weve never owned a new one (and probably never will!) so cant compare .
It seems to us that the older it is the more endearing and cheaper it will always be.:RollEyes::Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back