Hymer (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Any one own an old Hymer fitted with the 2.9 5 cylinder engine with automatic box? I know they are super reliable but how sluggish are the in reality and what mpg would you expect on the 3.5 ton version? BUSBY.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont own an old Hymer, but I do own an old RMB with the same running gear as you describe. Firstly there are two models of this engine, one naturally aspirated and the other turbo. Mine has an aftermarket turbo fitted. They are generally built on chassis over 3500kgs and so are a little sluggish compared with modern vehicles. Once wound up mine is happy to cruise at 60/65 MPH which I think is fast enough for a motorhome. Regarding MPG they are not as good on fuel as many would have you believe, 22 MPG being about right in loaded trim.
The good side is that they will run happily on low grade bio fuels without any modifications, and you are sure to get where you are going and that parts if and when needed are cheap and readily available anywhere in the world.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Bombproof, slightly sluggish but will cruise all day at a steady 60mph. I used to own one with a manual box it was a 5 speed 1 to 1 direct drive. I thought about fitting an overdrive gearbox to improve the mpg and cut the engine noise down a bit but never got round to it. The automatic version should be fitted with a diff lock so shouldn't get stuck on soft ground. You could also change the diff ratio as well but you might have to make allowances on hills. Occasionally I had to remove the radio to get at a fuse and the wiring was like a birds nest at the back. As far as fuel consumption was concerned because it was always loaded up for distance travel I never saw anything like 20 mpg and sometimes could be as low as 15 mpg, I always necked the tank to calculate the usage. Build quality and body wise was unquestionable, always solid. The propshaft hardy spicer bearings had to be greased fairly regularly with a grease gun to avoid wear and tear. Lastly just check the front screen for any chips or cracks as they can be very expensive to replace.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back