Hymer with 2.8 jtd engine, ejector fault light coming on (1 Viewer)

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all

Just recently our Hymer B644 with the 2.8 jtd engine has started to play up with the ejector warning light coming on and the van seems to go into limp mode.

Have taken it to a Fiat main dealer to have a diagnostic check carried out but as its a 2001 model the fault codes are very basic. They did come up with break lights or accelerator. As the accelerator control unit had been replaced just before we brought the van back in May they concentrated on the brake light switches which they seemed to think was a common fault, but I have not read this on any forum but seems to be common on VW transporters.

Any way they replaced my engine battery as they said it had died on them, had no problems previously myself but it could just be a coincidence. They where also not happy with the wiring saying it was below standard but I think they just wanted to wash their hands of it and not have anymore to do with the van suggesting I get an auto electrician to look at it.

I have surfed the Fiat forum and there seems to be a common problem with these 2001 model Fiats having wiring faults and possible loose connections has anyone else experienced this.

Regards

David

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Not had warning lights coming on, but when we bought ours (a 2006 /56 plate) the tails lights played up a few times and we took it back to the dealer. he did fix it, but said the wiring behind the rear light clusters was exposed to all the muck thrown up by the rear wheels and this would cause poor connectivity. he recommended regular application of grease after reconnection. In four years I have only greased the connections once so it seems to have worked. Ours is also a 2.8jtd. Gary

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes brake light switch can bring on limp mode if it has the dual contacts. It has one set of normally open contacts for the brake lights & a second set which are normally closed that are commonly used for dropping out the cruise control
( tempomat )when you touch the brake pedal.

Another 'limp mode' problem on them was wiring to the injectors . ( not sure if it was on that year model )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
A previous reply by me, may help?

Red Light

Most good independant garages will have a diagnostics machine. They won't spank you like a main stealer and you usually won't need an appointment.
Their machine (usually Snap-On) will normally pin-point the problem and they can fix it cheaper than a main stealer as well!
You can spend more money trying a fix than paying out for a diagnostic test.

I bought my MH private (2.8, 2005 Ducato) Red light came on over 2800rpm.
Diagnostics revealed turbo boost problem which translated as stuck spindle on waste gate. Fixed in 1 minute !! Vehicle had stood for several months near to the coast and spindle had seized.

Good luck

OP
OP
Dergrowler

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the replies will look at both areas and report back

I did go to an independent first Larby but unfortunately with both their snap-on and another computer system they could not communicate with the ECU that was why I went to a main dealer but I will not be going back and I am looking around for another independent who has experience with light commercials in my area.

David

Deleted User
Yes brake light switch can bring on limp mode if it has the dual contacts. It has one set of normally open contacts for the brake lights & a second set which are normally closed that are commonly used for dropping out the cruise control
( tempomat )when you touch the brake pedal.

Another 'limp mode' problem on them was wiring to the injectors . ( not sure if it was on that year model )

BIL had a 51 plate with same problem, after much searching it turned out to be the wiring to the injectors, mainly a bad connection made worse by the leads being too short. As far as I remember he eventually fixed it himself with a set of longer leads which I think are available as Fiat modification.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Dergrowler

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Matamors

This know fault with the injector leads keeps cropping up and my van is also on a 51 plate so I will be looking in this area as soon as the weather is dry enough

Thanks again for all the rapid replies.

David

Jan 24, 2016
Belfast
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer, Ducato 2.8jtd
Exp
Since 2009
I too have a 51 plate 2.8jtd that goes into intermittant limp mode especially over bumpy roads. I have tried most "fixes" suggested on this site and others with varying degrees of success. Could someone please help me by saying what the specific fault code would be if indeed the injector leads are at fault. I don't want to go to the expense of fitting lead extensions if this is not the problem.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
had same problem, renewed wiring plug on no. 4 injector and rerouted the wires been ok for a couple of years now. But still carry a couple of spare plugs.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
wiring to injectors is a known problem Fiat deny there is a problem but made replacement sets of wiring longer. We had our replaced under warranty by Becks.

Joe

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Try and re route injector wiring as it is very tight and with engine movement the plug connectors are strained all the time. We had this problem with our 2004 2.8 jtd. Fitted tune it box with longer cables no more faults.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back