Hymer windscreen replacement in Spain (MOAN) (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sorry for rambling on but it helps.
we are currently in Caceres and have had a stone cracked the windscreen thought I would get it done whilst stationary for a few days. On contacting insurance and speaking to Auto glass who were very helpful and told me they would inform their company in Spain who would then arrange replacement,an hour later received a call from Auto glass saying that their Spanish counterpart would not touch Hymer windscreens and I should either wait until my return to UK or go to a Hymer dealer and pay them and claim back from insurers
My first concern was if stopped am I legal I know that as long as it's not in drivers field of view then probably OK.
My second concern was if on going to dealer they need to keep van for god knows how long where would we stay having two dogs with us and who would foot the bill? would insurers cover this?
So I called our insurer who told me yes there is a problem in Spain and read a letter they had received with the information on it ref windscreens and they advised me to wait until I arrived home,if I decided to go to a dealer I would need to get an estimate and send to them who would then authorise the work ,when I put the question to them that had this screen have been hit on the road and driver was unable to see what would they have done?
They quite clearly were reluctant for me to use the dealer route
The answer was call breakdown and be taken to dealer who would sort it out.
so beware if you drive a Hymer in Spain and you need a new Windscreen it could be a long drawn out replacement and also much more expensive if dealers in UK are anything to go by.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We had a similar a few years ago, though not with a Hymer. We were in Normandy, a car overtook, and the complete screen crazed, forcing me to punch it through. We had AA Five Star insurance, but they didnt want to know. They said we would be met in Dover when we returned......Three weeks later! Luck was with us, as we found a firm in Deauville who made us one, (it was in a Toyota Hi-Ace, fairly flat), and fitted it next day, whilst we slept in the truck overnight in their yard. Played hell with the AA when we got home, they just shrugged us off, despite having paid a small fortune for their 'all risks' insurance. :mad:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Bring it home and get it done, try not to look at the crack :):)

Extremely unlikely to ever give in completely (y)(y)

Good heads up though, but TBH I think I would have driven home anyway unless so seriously damaged I couldn't, which would be a pretty rare event

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Good heads up though, but TBH I think I would have driven home anyway unless so seriously damaged I couldn't, which would be a pretty rare event
Yes that was my original thought but as we are staying put for a few days though I might get it done.

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
I'm in exactly the same situation but have decided to wait until I'm home my crack was hardly noticeable in the black lower part of the screen but has now decided to take a trip upwards and is about 150mm into the glass now, luckily it's all at the passenger side. Mine got hit by one of the maniac French lorry drivers on the D834 Mont de Marsan road

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Autoglass could and should probably suggested to drill the screen at the end of the crack, this will stop it spreading.
I was being loaded for a long distance delivery and the fork lift truck spat a stone up as he crossed the front of my truck in our yard and started a crack going in my screen. It was about six inches long heading from the bottom rubber upwards. Our mechanic drilled the screen and said he would replace it at weekend when I got back. Worked perfectly and didn't get any bigger at all during the trip.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Speve

Sorry I didn't really allow for your upset, seriously, I would be cussing and jeffing like anything, but then I can hear Bev saying calm down, if we were up at the top of Scotland we would wait till we got home

Gutted for you and seriously feel your pain (y)(y)

Deep breath and back to those 32cent tinnies (y)(y):):)

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Autoglass could and should probably suggested to drill the screen at the end of the crack, this will stop it spreading.
Good idea I have heard of that but don't think I'll try it myself although I do have a drill on board.(y)

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm in exactly the same situation but have decided to wait until I'm home my crack was hardly noticeable in the black lower part of the screen but has now decided to take a trip upwards and is about 150mm into the glass now, luckily it's all at the passenger side. Mine got hit by one of the maniac French lorry drivers on the D834 Mont de Marsan road
That's where mine started in the black bit just above the bonnet just stopped on site and levelled van and it cracked about 18" more in slow motion on passengers side.(y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You could speak to your nearest hymer dealer and see what they say.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
So apart from the gas valve, spare wheel, water pump, fuses, drive belts, fuel filter and enclosure.

I now need to carry a spare windscreen:D2 Or is that just for Hymers?

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
My screen cracked all the way along the bottom whilst in Italy and I was heading for Croatia last year, it started with a small chip which went downwards to the bottom then went left and right and I spoke to autoglass and they advised to continue my trip (2 months) and get it repaired when back in uk. They said it would be very very rare for it to crack completely and they were right.

When back in U.K. they did a fantastic job with an original dethleffs windscreen very pleased with the workmanship.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Exactly the same happened to us in Spain last year. Called insurance who then called us back to say Autoglass don't operate in Spain and we would have to risk the possibility of it spreading and get it fixed when we got back to UK. Fortunately it didn't spread and Autoglass made a good job of it when we got back. Our van wasn't a Hymer by the way, however it was an A class. Maybe that's the difference.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
In Spain Autoglass is known as Carglass.

I presume by Hymer you mean A class? Our Hymer windscreen cracked whilst near Oviedo and was replaced in two hours. But we're not A class.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry for rambling on but it helps.
we are currently in Caceres and have had a stone cracked the windscreen thought I would get it done whilst stationary for a few days. On contacting insurance and speaking to Auto glass who were very helpful and told me they would inform their company in Spain who would then arrange replacement,an hour later received a call from Auto glass saying that their Spanish counterpart would not touch Hymer windscreens and I should either wait until my return to UK or go to a Hymer dealer and pay them and claim back from insurers
My first concern was if stopped am I legal I know that as long as it's not in drivers field of view then probably OK.
My second concern was if on going to dealer they need to keep van for god knows how long where would we stay having two dogs with us and who would foot the bill? would insurers cover this?
So I called our insurer who told me yes there is a problem in Spain and read a letter they had received with the information on it ref windscreens and they advised me to wait until I arrived home,if I decided to go to a dealer I would need to get an estimate and send to them who would then authorise the work ,when I put the question to them that had this screen have been hit on the road and driver was unable to see what would they have done?
They quite clearly were reluctant for me to use the dealer route
The answer was call breakdown and be taken to dealer who would sort it out.
so beware if you drive a Hymer in Spain and you need a new Windscreen it could be a long drawn out replacement and also much more expensive if dealers in UK are anything to go by.

& yes it is illegal to drive in Spain with any sort of crack in the windscreen.:( Having said that I wouldn't worry about it as I re-registered a german van on to Spanish plates that came with a crack about 15" long along bottom of windscreen & nobody said anything :).
It then had 20 itv's(mot) over the next 11 years without anyone saying anything & 2 road side trafico stops.(y)
It was then sold ,still with the same broken windscreen.:LOL:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It would need to be diamond anyway.

Martin

Havn't a clue where I got the idea from, but, I remember drilling holes on a mirror with a Tile drill, (looks a bit like a tiny spear)

Although for a Funster to have one in his/her tool box, I expect you'd have more chance of scooping the Lotto back to back:laughing:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Havn't a clue where I got the idea from, but, I remember drilling holes on a mirror with a Tile drill, (looks a bit like a tiny spear)

Although for a Funster to have one in his/her tool box, I expect you'd have more chance of scooping the Lotto back to back:laughing:
You would get a diamond bit in a dremel kit.

Martin

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi just to give you our tale for replacement window screen . On the way out to Cabo last winter a caravan pulled in front and spat out a stone which chipped the screen , we decided it was not to bad and we would get it fixed by insurance (SAGA) who sent out an Autoglass man to fix the chip , after 5 mins he said he could not do it and we would need a replacement screen which would be fitted by another company from the south coast(around Bournemouth) and 2 guys turned up a week later with the new screen which was duly fitted using the old rubber surround , looked a good job . We store our motorhome inside a barn and had not really used it in any rainy weather. On our way out to Cabo last autumn we had a bit of rain and i started to notice water dripping from the engine area , after some investigation i noticed that the sound-proofing material was saturated , when i looked under the rubber seal i found it was not sealed properly and water was coming in the top corner. Found a local window window screen company in Campahermosa who kept the van for a day and sealed all round for 150 Euros.

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Travelworld ÂŁ1950 delivered to fitter but not including fitting....ouch, insurance ÂŁ500 less ÂŁ90 excess.........more ouch.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I suffered a stone from a lorry in France a couple of years ago cracked the screen , Reported it to Saga and had the repair on my drive when I got home by two excellent fitters .when I renewed my insurance my excess for windscreen went up from ÂŁ50 to ÂŁ75 which I thought was great for a ÂŁ2000 windscreen.

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As an ex chippy I do actually carry some tungsten masonry bits in my tool kit odd I know but I like to be well kitted out in the tool section.
Sad isn't it?

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi just to give you our tale for replacement window screen
Can't get the tradesmen these days good job you noticed it could have done a lot more damage hope you complained to the original fitters.

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I suffered a stone from a lorry in France a couple of years ago cracked the screen , Reported it to Saga and had the repair on my drive when I got home by two excellent fitters .when I renewed my insurance my excess for windscreen went up from ÂŁ50 to ÂŁ75 which I thought was great for a ÂŁ2000 windscreen.
That's what's going to happen when we get back no idea what it will cost our insurance will pay max ÂŁ3000 less my ÂŁ75 excess

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You could speak to your nearest hymer dealer and see what they say.
No not really an option on Hymer search for dealer only two near me one 235 km away at Seville and one in Madrid about the same distance I'll wait till we get back to UK(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
In Spain Autoglass is known as Carglass.

I presume by Hymer you mean A class? Our Hymer windscreen cracked whilst near Oviedo and was replaced in two hours. But we're not A class.
Yes we have an Exsis I so that's what they must mean by saying car glass won't touch them

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Just to point out the drill bits that has being referenced to in the thread for drilling glass are sold in most DIY stores .i have full set l use for drilling holes in wall tiles and glass like butter . They are quite cheap considering how useful they are .B&Q stock plenty from a couple of pounds each ,you can also get them in sets of various sizes would not be without them.They just look like an arrow head ,brilliant bit of kit.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We had a crack develop from the top centre of the screen whilst in France last autumn. It started at a small stone chip and ran south for about 6".
We just kept an eye on it until we got back home, about a 1000 miles later.
Reported it to Autoglass, insisting that they must fit a genuine Carthago screen and not an ill fitting pattern screen.
When they came to fit it they had a cheapo pattern screen so sent them on their way and told them to order the correct one.
We then went to Spain for a month, doing another 2000 miles and, while the crack did get longer, it wasn't much.
When we got home the correct screen was fitted and all is now OK.
Big bill I suspect but we have unlimited glass cover with Safeguard so I never saw it and the renewal hasn't been affected.

Richard.

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had a crack develop from the top centre of the screen whilst in France last autumn. It started at a small stone chip and ran south for about 6".
We just kept an eye on it until we got back home, about a 1000 miles later.
Reported it to Autoglass, insisting that they must fit a genuine Carthago screen and not an ill fitting pattern screen.
When they came to fit it they had a cheapo pattern screen so sent them on their way and told them to order the correct one.
We then went to Spain for a month, doing another 2000 miles and, while the crack did get longer, it wasn't much.
When we got home the correct screen was fitted and all is now OK.
Big bill I suspect but we have unlimited glass cover with Safeguard so I never saw it and the renewal hasn't been affected.

Richard.
yes we used to be with Safeguard thinking of going back next renewal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back