LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, looking at the possibility of buying a 2006 Tramp 514GT, loads of extras fitted at a price we can afford. Low mileage, LHD which suits.
Anybody know of any faults we need to look at specifically,
We have it on reserve at the moment, no deposit has been paid on this private sale.
Any advice Good and Bad would be appreciated.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I don't know the model but if I were buying I would look for the service book, any receipts for work done, check thoughout the interior with a damp meter, check all the equipment works and both interior and exterior are free from any damage. Tyres are expensive so if the are original they will need changing pretty soon. Negotiate a new set or a discount, they deteriorate with age, 7 years is too old. Take it for a test drive and check if feels and drives ok and see if you get any warranty. Do you need Mot tests in Spain? If so, get the dealer to sort this for you.
Lastly, does it smell mouldy, damp, over air freshened? My Wife wouldn't set foot in a motorhome when were buying if it smelt funny.
That should just about cover it
Allan

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi,and thanks for the sound advice, I have done a sniff test as suggested, in fact the van is clean, good order and satisfies me on all aspects of whats expected.
However, I could be buying something that had a serious design fault, like on the Dutch site, it outlines overloading,and a low slung gas locker, but I really sought something from my Trusted Fellow Brits, which by less than careful wording has done the trick, thanks to all, we are getting somewhere. If Funsters dont know then who does. Thanks Guys and Galls, road testing tomorrow , and taking a Spanish Mechanic with me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Good morning, hope you are all well and managing to ride out the storms.

Regarding the Hymer thread I started, well as it turns out, the lack of information available in the UK, is due to this model not being imported into the UK, what info I have managed to get is from European forums, Dutch and German have been a good guide.
Its Road Testing and further inspection this morning, also a trip to the local weighbridge will see what I can or cannot put into this well equipped van. Cheers.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Good luck with the testing. I didn't think you would get much of a response with this van because, as you say, it isn't one generally seen in the UK, consequently, I doubt any Funsters own one or could give first hand advice. Although we have many members living outside the UK, it would appear none have one of these either.
Its always best to search for a make specific forum as well as on here so that you have covered all bases before you get your hands dirty.
Funsters love to impart knowledge, and some even do it when they know what they are talking about :Blush:

:getmecoat::getmecoat:

Allan

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Many thanks Allanm, more sound info, what more can we ask, well today we had another good look around the van, wife inside, me underneath, however only just, its very low indeed.
One thing Funsters may be able to answer is that the gas locker is quite low, if fact perhaps 75mm below the line of the van, this could or could not be a problem, Is this common on Hymer vans in general?
The vendor was quite upset when on our Road Test this morning I asked him to take the van to the local weighbridge, I needed to know what I can put inside, and not go above the 3500kg, I was satisfied with the weight, he thought this was over the top and I should look at the fantastic TV, sat box or where to put the cutlery. We are in the process of selling our current van and when this is completed we should be in a position to buy this Hymer or look further into another van purchase.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back