Hymer to go. (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
We are looking to change to an RV. Going to Travelworld next Monday for a look, seen at least 6 on the website that we fancy. They are having a sales weekend this coming week but we cannot make it so will have to see is the ones we like are still there.
My wife is finding the MH hard work due to her disability and wants more room and the extra's that an RV brings, MH to go in part ex provided it gets a reasonable price.

I love my Hymer but i can understand her problems.:Sad:

On the bright side we are off to Lady Heyes tomorrow for 3 nights, we do like this site.:thumb::thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if the Avatar is a recent picture of you one has to ask do you have the appropriate licence for a larger RV if you are restricted to 3500kgs it will be out of the question.
Oops just read your profile so assume you are ok age wise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Wildman, I wish it was.
Son came across the pic awhile ago, said whatever happened to Grizzly Adams and Baby Jane. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Is 23' 9" long enough for you ?

Always took my B694 to be 7m or 23 foot. Measured it the other day, from front bumper to tow bar it is 7.6m or 25 foot.
So an RV is not much longer but with slides more spacious.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Yes, it makes a huge difference. Huge difference in running costs too. I've always thought Hymer worked wonders on the layout front.

If it was down to me or if Judith didn't have the problems she has the the Hymer would be fine. But life isn't as you would always like it to be.:Sad:

As for the extra running costs it will be no more than i am saving having not smoked for over 5 weeks,:thumb: an added incentive to keep it up at times of weakness, that and the fact that she would kill me.:Eeek::Eeek:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

good luck with the the no smokeing.and i hope you find your dream r/v:thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Always took my B694 to be 7m or 23 foot. Measured it the other day, from front bumper to tow bar it is 7.6m or 25 foot.
So an RV is not much longer but with slides more spacious.

My RV was a Winnebago Itasca sunrise, 30ft 10in long with a single slide. Very nice, and roomy, so comfortable, and a joy to drive. Thirsty? i didn't think so, but that is down to your right foot, and the amount of miles i did in the RV were not worth worrying about. I put more fuel in my Honda CRV in a year than i did in the RV.
Now things have changed, and we had to sell the RV, and have bought a 5th wheel rig. The trailer is 30ft long, but the room inside is more than the Winnebago. It has a single slide, but larger and deeper, and the layout is slightly different, giving better kitchen and lounge areas. The plus side is having a truck to run around in when on site. And a truck i can use when at home if needs be.
We are very pleased with it.

Craig

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
My RV was a Winnebago Itasca sunrise, 30ft 10in long with a single slide. Very nice, and roomy, so comfortable, and a joy to drive. Thirsty? i didn't think so, but that is down to your right foot, and the amount of miles i did in the RV were not worth worrying about. I put more fuel in my Honda CRV in a year than i did in the RV.
Now things have changed, and we had to sell the RV, and have bought a 5th wheel rig. The trailer is 30ft long, but the room inside is more than the Winnebago. It has a single slide, but larger and deeper, and the layout is slightly different, giving better kitchen and lounge areas. The plus side is having a truck to run around in when on site. And a truck i can use when at home if needs be.
We are very pleased with it.

Craig

We fancied a 5th wheel, but we already have our car, my 2cv and a trailer for it and the MH in the drive. Cannot fit anything longer than 27 foot in there, so the trailer would be stored and the truck in drive. 3 cars would be too much ( our main car is a motobility vehicle, so we would not get rid of it) An RV would be in storage when not in use, found a good one within 2 miles.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I really hope you find what you are looking for. Take your time, it's a buyers market. And if it's any comfort, an RV will spoil you if you get the right one.
I would never go back to a European MH now.
There are for and against with every purchase, buy what you want and can afford.
I heard all the bad things when i was looking for my RV, 'you can't get on sites with an American', 'they only do abut 5 mpg', etc;etc;
It took nearly two years to find what i was looking for, and i got it at the right price too, privately.

Good luck.

Craig

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I looked at a US RV at the the NEC trouble was we have to have an auto car so has to go on a trailer BUT not enough train weight left, the only thing I could tow within the Max 8.25t train weight would have been a very small manual car on a frame :Sad:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
We would need to tow because of my wife's disabilty. The 2CV is perfect as the car and trailer is only 750kgs. However she doesn't like it so its for me only. Will look to change the motorbility car which is auto for a small manual witn an A frame.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Don't rush in, try for one already converted to LPG and with the layout you want. If you are limited to 7500kg gvw (8250 kg gtw) be careful as dealers will say , "yes that is under 7500kgs" , not always so. You need to confirm by looking at weight plate normally situated near drivers door. Many RVs with slideouts are above that weight or have been downrated and have a tiny payload.
Good luck :thumb:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We are looking to change to an RV. Going to Travelworld next Monday for a look, seen at least 6 on the website that we fancy. They are having a sales weekend this coming week but we cannot make it so will have to see is the ones we like are still there.
My wife is finding the MH hard work due to her disability and wants more room and the extra's that an RV brings, MH to go in part ex provided it gets a reasonable price.

I love my Hymer but i can understand her problems.:Sad:

On the bright side we are off to Lady Heyes tomorrow for 3 nights, we do like this site.:thumb::thumb:

We bought from Travelworld In September of this year, we had a couple of issues which required immediate attention, and having experienced aftercare at other dealers, we feel that Travelworld offers one of the best after sales service we have come across so far :thumb:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks Nomadic - I popsted on RVOC about looking for an RV and got a message from Tom at signature to look at their site which we already have, will be keeping them in mind.

Thanks Steve and Denice always good to here from people who have had good dealings with Travelworld, spoke to them on the phone and they were very helpful.

Let's hope there is a good deal to be had.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back