HYMER thoughts please

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by flyboyprowler, Sep 30, 2013.

1. flyboyprowler

flyboyprowler Read Only Funster

We are looking at a Hymer B640 Starlight next week as our first motorhome. To be used for extensive euro cruising, with wife and dog. It's a 2005, auto LHD on a Mercedes chasis, and low miles. Any one have any thoughts or what to look out for?
    Muchas thank you's

2. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

buy yourself a damp meter, anything 19% and over is damp. But you prob wont go wrong with a hymer.

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

If I am correct that model has a garage with fixed bed over. I would check the available payload with a full tank of fuel and water, you may find you have nowt left. In which case nice though it looks it is not suitable for extensive (I assume that means long term) European touring. Payload is the single thing that most people forget to ask about and the dealers don't have the answers either so they make them up. Get it to a weighbridge and check axle weights. Build quality of Hymers is great otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flyboyprowler

I believe this one has the rear lounge, and a pull down bed, with about 4500 kgs payload. But good point, as yes we will be away for a lot of long periods.

5. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Your payload will be the Gross Weight minus the Current Weight of the MH.
    The difference is what you have left to add "stuff" on the MH. Its difficult to gauge sometimes before you buy - if you are buying privately sometimes the previous owner may have the info. Most Dealers I have dealt with are a bit vague, normally quoting the Manufacturers MIRO (running order weight) figures which are in my experience a tad low and so give you a bigger payload on paper.
    I have just weighed our current MH and was surprised to find I only have 260kg payload with 2 of us and full fuel/inboard water/gas and its a 5 berth on a 4200kg Chassis.
    Hope this helps!

6. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Hymer

The advice about payloads is well made, but I'd be surprised if you will have a problem with a van like that. We've had our Hymer 2 years now and wish we'd bought one years earlier and saved some of the mad money we spent on our earlier, brand new vans. If the van you are looking at has been well looked after (services, etc) then you should have years of excellent touring ahead - and on a Merc too! Ours is on a Fiat, but has been faultless, and they are built like the proverbial brick *********.

Happy touring!

Gary

7. nomadic

nomadic Funster

I have just looked on e-bay and found a Hymer B640 Starline, which I think is what you are going to look at.

Its on a Merc chassis, max gross weight 4600 kgs.

We have a B700 Starline on the same chassis and have 950 kgs payload, which we found adequate when we were long term touring. So provided the access to the storage areas is good, it should be ok for your needs.

As said they are very well built, and reliable.

Good luck

8. B-well

B-well Funster

Have had x2 Hymer 534 found build quality excellent and comfty for winter Ski trips, will be suprised if you are not happy with Merc version provided you are happy with layout.
    good luck on your ventures.:thumb:

9. flyboyprowler

Thanks Nomadic,

If you have time can you let me know what the "starline" means. There seem to be so many model designators, and confusion reigns! Yes that is the one I am looking at next week, any thoughts on the price, as it has been advertised now quite a few times, and as you know from a dealer.