Hymer, solar, ehu, controller - that should cover it (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Probably another unique to me and my MH issue coming up, knowing that and the quality of my technical posts this will probably not even be viewed by many o_O

sometimes, but more recently most times that I disconnect the mains hook up lead when I start the engine the controller goes off on one telling me mains cable still connected

that is despite me physically checking it wasn't first time at least, on the controller the icon for hook up has a line through it saying disconnected, so why does the same controller say it is :mad:

one thought I have had is that it happens mainly on sunny days and I wondered if their could ever be enough output from the solar to confuse the controller the batteries were on charge?

one thing I do know is our charger / electrics bit is not the normal one fitted to Hymers so the solar is not routed through it (EBL?) I think is what I have heard it called

it carries on beeping for ever so is a real nuisance, just thought I have not yet tried turning off the controller to shut it up, that would possibly sort it provided it can be turned off with an alarm active, other than that, I usually turn ignition off and on again and around the third or fourth attempt it normally stops

any ideas, or willing volunteers to look at Chester all welcomed, I will pack extra alcohol :)(y)

Last edited:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'll have a look in return for a drink at Chester, I don't have a clue what I'm looking at :D.
On a serious note I really haven't got a clue, but you'll get at least one reply :D2
Hope you get it sorted

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you invested in my van David you'd have enough solar to power a small country.
Plus a battery bank and inverter big enough for any occasion.

Plus ....

A sensuous island bed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

I dont know either but it is a "Hymer" :LOL: Seriously though I wouldn't have thought it would take the hook up information from the battery state, have you tried pulling the EHU out 5 or 10 minutes before you leave or are you doing that now.

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Don't forget our Dometic oven which actually cooks real food

but then don't let me forget that stick thingy that needs moving around while travelling

and the driven wheels are at the wrong end

not completely ruled out yet, keeping my powder dry, a few too many rums, or gins for me, nearer the actual point of change might just dip it low enough,(y)(y)

selling mine on here will not be quite so easy :LOL::LOL:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
but then don't let me forget that stick thingy that needs moving around while travelling

and the driven wheels are at the wrong end

not completely ruled out yet, keeping my powder dry, a few too many rums, or gins for me, nearer the actual point of change might just dip it low enough,(y)(y)

selling mine on here will not be quite so easy :LOL::LOL:

Trading Standards may raise an eyebrow if you described it as 'one careful owner'

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
one thing I do know is our charger / electrics bit is not the normal one fitted to Hymers so the solar is not routed through it (EBL?) I think is what I have heard it called
I can't remember what you have got, but I'm pretty certain that it's not an EBL. An Italian jobby of some sort, if I remember correctly.

Not that it helps solve your problem. :( You have my sympathy - that would drive me mad.

Following on from what others have said - turn your inverter on & plug something like a coffee machine into it for a minute. That would certainly stop over-voltage making it think it was still plugged in.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I can't remember what you have got, but I'm pretty certain that it's not an EBL. An Italian jobby of some sort, if I remember correctly.

Not that it helps solve your problem. :( You have my sympathy - that would drive me mad.

Following on from what others have said - turn your inverter on & plug something like a coffee machine into it for a minute. That would certainly stop over-voltage making it think it was still plugged in.

thanks Simon

now need to buy a coffee maker, closely followed by an inverter that would cope, my 150W job might only try the once :):)(y)(y)

but that is a interesting option :)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the really odd thing is that the controller knows it is disconnected as the display changes

I guess it might be something silly like the outside connector has a sensor to say cable still in, (even though it isn't) as opposed to no mains power which the display confirms

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
thanks Simon

now need to buy a coffee maker, closely followed by an inverter that would cope, my 150W job might only try the once :):)(y)(y)

but that is a interesting option :)(y)
One of these might be handy too
images (11).jpg

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
It could possibly be residual capacitance in the AC circuitry which is sufficient enough to drive the audible warning.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@canopus (y)

sounds logical Ken, anyway to discharge such a thing?

it does only seem to be on sunny days, hence my thought ref solar input, although it only happens when we have been hooked up

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Im sure the electronics experts amongst us may have other views David. Perhaps turning the Control Panel off then on again may do the trick but it seems a bit of a long winded solution.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Just a thought because I experienced similar on our Bessacarr, is the starter battery ok? We had issues with ours which caused a constant beeping coming from the control panel.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just a thought because I experienced similar on our Bessacarr, is the starter battery ok? We had issues with ours which caused a constant beeping coming from the control panel.

don't think this will sort ours, new battery fitted recently and when beeping the words ' mains lead still attached' are on the screen

you can still have a drink without a solution, but ideas gratefully received (y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Ah, yes, sledgehammer & nut spring to mind. :D2

I have this memory of you wandering striding purposefully across the Misterton site with a huge great Sterling inverter tucked under your arm. Am I confusing things, or did that never find it's way into the m/h? :confused:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My theory about solar input, albeit not founded on anything very technical, still appears to be a strong contender

removed hook up and started engine to move MH back into position this morning, total cloud cover, no alert, possibly just coincidence

will be repeating the check as often as I remember, partly in the hope of being able to try turning the controller off and back on as a fix, will try to alternate sunny and cloudy tests

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back