Hymer Service Intervals - Baffled!

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Dave and Ginny, May 30, 2013.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

We aquired our 2002 B544 2.8 on a Fiat Ducato last year. It had always been well maintained and the service book shows intervals of 7500K (5000 miles) between sevices.

Ours was serviced, MOT'd and had a new cambelt back in January, today however the service indicator came on and with help over the phone I have managed to re-set it. Apparently, if the indicator is not on when in the shop, it can't be re-set? When I mentioned that it's shortly due another service as we've been in Europe I was asked if I'd done 9000 miles since January?

So it now appears that my Hymer has been 'over serviced' :Blush:

Can anyone throw some light on this; just what should be the service interval on this vehicle be? The handbook etc is all in German and I cannot see any signs of mileage intervals.

Cheers Dave

2. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

I wait for the service spanner comes on or 2 years whatever comes first to service but check oil level and coolent level :Smile: and top up when necessary between service
    Regards

3. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I don't know what year yours is 1948, but two yearly seems like a a long time between oil changes on a diesel engine, even with modern semi synthetic oils

4. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Motor homes tend to be over serviced, due mainly to lack of mileage - so the 'time/age' between services comes into it. Some motor homes can do 10k in a year, others may take 3 years to cover 10k! This is often evident with cambelts, where the cost of replacement outweighs the risk of failure and associated drama - again, with belts, age comes into it being replaced ever 5 years.

I would advise giving it a good service, and start afresh from there - it will put your mind at ease, and if you are travelling abroad will be something you can put to the back of your mind!

5. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Its the base vehicle not Hymer service.My Hymer is on a Transit and the service interval on the Transit base is 30k,it is 3 years old and has now reached that point!

6. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

This is the reply that I've had from where I get mine serviced and MOT'd
    I can't find fault with it to be honest, anualy would seem to make sense.

The manufacturers recommended service intervals on the 1994-2002 models are every 6 months or 6,000 miles (however since I’ve worked here we’ve not had any motorhomes in that get serviced every 6,000 mile / 6 months). The intervals for the 2002-2006 models are 18,000 miles or 12 months. So, there is a difference & we’d know whether it was the earlier or later model. As a rule of thumb, we generally advise a 10,000 mile / 12 month interval. Very rarely do motorhomes do a high mileage & at least this way it gets an annual service. These service intervals are based on a normal Fiat Ducato van which are obviously different on a Fiat motorhome as they don’t get used half as much as a normal van would.