• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED Hymer s820 or s740 (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Both nice vans, you need one on the 6 tonne chassis as the 4.6 one will be short of payload.

You need manual or better still full auto, not the sprintshift.

Quality vans but on the 6 tonne version a bit underpowered on anything but flat surfaces.

Re transverse on the S820 is huge, too big, they could have made it smaller and had some worktop space and a bigger shower, designed by a big fat German in my opinion, great van but better use of space could have been utilised.

Our was LHD drive S820 full auto. Great van but could have been better, build quality wonderful though, one of the best out there. Fuel consumption poor about 18 mpg on ours. If you take it to isle of Skye, Scottish Highlands then prepare for steep hills and quite a bit of oil consumption.

We had ours uprated to 6400kg and used all of it.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
has the word got out to avoid my S800 :LOL::LOL:

have the 820 and 740 got the same layout ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
WOW, what chassis are you on? Our Merc was 5 ton we have uprated to 5.5 that is as far as we can go

Ours was the S820 5990KG uprated to 6400kg, 2004 model.

The S820 has a huge rear transverse double, the S740 is the exact same van apart from a rear single, the S650 same van but no rear bed at all.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
WOW, what chassis are you on? Our Merc was 5 ton we have uprated to 5.5 that is as far as we can go
The S820 was an earlier model than yours on a 616 chassis. Made from around 2000 until 2005.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Our 2006 Concorde is on the same 616 Sprinter chasis with full auto box. Its the 5.9 ton and we've never needed to worry about payload. Regarding making the 820 shorter, I assume this would have meant bastardising the chasis which is a NO NO with Mercedes Benz

As JeanLuc says there are a couple for sale on the private sales pages of Peter Hambiltons website.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
We got the 740 had it for 7 years now and will not change it until MHoming days are over or my c licence is taken away.

Excellent vans, 6 tonnes on the 616, plenty of storage, huge payload (1400 kgs). Only disappointment? It's fully auto so tow wt is limited to 750 kgs, rather than the 2000 kgs on the manual.

One for sale? I had decided that that it was what I wanted took me more than 2 years to find one for our requirements. They are not common beasts. If you would consider LHD mobile.de could be the way to go.

Dick

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I had a 2001 S740, brilliant van but as mentioned above if you are buying an older van I personally would not buy a sprint shift, unless you have or know an experienced mechanic, fantastic when running right, problematic when not. I had a lot of trouble with the gearbox on mine until I found a garage who knew what they were doing, this was NOT the official Merc Commercial garage who were utter rubbish and just kept replacing things by trial and error, cost me thousands for them not to fix the problem. It was a simple fix in the end as the Sprint Shift is a mechanical gearbox with a hydraulic clutch, this unit had gone and cost £900 to replace.

Never found mine underpowered although it had been "chipped" which, I've been told, makes a big difference. I paid £45k in 2004 for a 3 year old van with lots of toys on (considered standard these days!) and px'd it to a dealer who gave me £25k for it against a 2012 S830 in 2014, probably could have got a bit more privately but was happy with this as didn't have to deal with any tyre kickers!

If you are buying an older van and find a Sprintshift I wouldn't be put off just allow a couple of grand to put stuff right, they are great vans, as mentioned above the bigger chassis is better ( several with air breaks) although apart from payload I don't think there's much difference, think mine was 416 and then updated, can't remember now. Good hunting!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
2 things, its on a sprintshift not a full auto which would be a ''No'' from me.

Also its on the 4.6 tonne so will be short of payload, you need a 6 tonne one.

You can tell its the 4.6 tonne version because there is no arch on the rear wheel arch, it just goes straight along if you know what I mean, that signifies the lighter 4.6 tonne chassis.

Paul.
I don't essentially disagree with anything you've said, I was giving my experience of having a 740 on a 4.6 chassis for over 10 years! The 820 on the lighter chassis was massively short on payload, my 740 wasn't and it went like a rocket uphill and downdale loaded to the gunnels, did thousands of miles going all around Morocco, France Spain Portugal and U.K. for up to 3 months at a time, I was never short of any equipment and carried everything I needed ( and lots I didn't), It had a hydraulic motorbike carrier on the back and also carried a motorbike, I am well aware of the sprintshift problems, hence my post above, it was one of the most popular cargo vans of its time and said to be good for a million miles or more. My point is if you come across one at a decent price and allow a couple of k for repairs, I wouldn't be put off.

Fully automatic all bells and whistles there's not much to top my S 830 but without knowing the op's budget and list of wants it's hard to say. The S740 416 base had 700kgs of payload, more than many vans on the road today, Apart from the problems in my previous post, I loved that van, rather have my fully auto 830, but all vans are a compromise, and if I've learnt anything over the last 25 years of motorhoming it's this - leave the useless crap that's in your Motorhome at home, empty the boot and cupboards regularly or even after every trip and only put stuff back in that you've used (apart from emergency stuff) don't carry summer stuff in winter (Windbreaks etc) unless you're one of these hardy extreme weather geeks who likes to sit outside in the wind and rain, repack the boot for each trip with stuff you know you'll use, it works, and you'll soon find you've got enough payload for 100 bottles of wine on your way back from France(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back