Hymer S 670 - large roof light replacement (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hello

Have just bought a Hymer S 670 1992 vintage, it's on a Mercedes 410D base.

Although the MH is in excellent condition, starting to look around at some of the important detail before winter arrives, just to make sure all is well.

The large roof light (wind-up mechanism) above the dinette has a crack with a small section missing, it also feels slightly brittle. The internal dimensions are 800 x 500mm.

I think due to age I wont make a permanent repair but rather replace it (no idea of costs though!).

This roof light doesn't have either a fly screen or a blind, and until now can't find a manufacturers name either.

Want to replace with the same but with a fly screen as a minimum, is this possible as a standard piece of Hymer kit?

Is this a Hymer item or is it a Heki? rooflight?

Are there any standard modern fixes for replacing these?

Thanks as always

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I had a Hymer 694 for many years and had to replace the cover on mine, cost £360 plus delivery! The blind and fly screen and the cover are all Hymer parts and were available off the shelf at Blackpool, hopefully Brownhills will still be able to supply. Although expensive the new parts did brighten up my Hymer as I opted for a clear screen, the blinds kept the extra light out in the morning.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi .. give Olearys a call or email, they have lots of stuff and not all on their web site .. sometimes they have second hand stock ..

O'Leary Motorhomes
314 Hull Road
Plaxton Bridge Road
Woodmansey
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 0RS

Telephone : 01482 868632 - 01482 880044
email: info@olearymotorhomes.co.uk

also look at the range of Heki here .. maybe something to suite

http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/seitz/heki_rooflights.htm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/index.asp?function=search

just some prices below from them

14" x 14" Wind Up Rooflight
£49.99
MPK Rooflight 280 x 280
£29.99
MPK Rooflight 360 x 320
£34.99
MPK Rooflight 400 x 400
£36.99
V & R Rooflight 400 x 400 with Roller Blind
£44.99

I often call at Oleary when I was and when I go back to the UK...the place is full up to the ceiling every where:Eeek:
Mel

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
EECO at Halifax Yorkshire will make any double glazed plastic window up for you. As long as you have the original for them to work from. I had one made up a few weeks ago and it was cheaper than a secondhand one from ebay.
Tel-01274679524 or email sales@eeco-ltd.co.uk

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi veevee give knollbeck caravans a call -last time I wasin they had some 900x600 (external the size you want) in very cheap :thumb:push up ones are cheaper than the wind up ones
terry
knollbeck caravans
Wath West Industrial Estate Derwent Way Wath-upon-dearne
Rotherham
S63 6EX

Telephone
01226 753956

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hi veevee give knollbeck caravans a call -last time I wasin they had some 900x600 (external the size you want) in very cheap :thumb:push up ones are cheaper than the wind up ones
terry
knollbeck caravans
Wath West Industrial Estate Derwent Way Wath-upon-dearne
Rotherham
S63 6EX

Telephone
01226 753956

Thanks Terry

Just called them but the man I need to talk to Craig had to go home early. Will call them in the morning and hope.

The ones you saw were they original and did they have a screen or blind. What sort of money were they, did you notice?

It would be great if they are a direct replacement or even OE fitting, what a good forum this is whatever the outcome.

Jamie

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Our 1992 Hymer S700 has the original Hymer windup rooflight (Hymer name on it). It has a separate cassette blind/flyscreen mounted below it.

John

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi jamie, around 300 but inc blind and flyscreen
terry

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hello

Thanks to all for the various bits of information, it sent me off in all sorts of directions and we now know what we will do.

First may I esecially thank John & Joan, they went to the trouble of photographing their original rooflight from all angles so it was possible to see what an original set of screens looked like, really kind of them.

Craig at Knollbeck Caravans was helpful too. They have for offer a Heki 2 at £185 that was a display model but perfect and un-fitted, it's half price and listed on eBay this week. If you need to replace yours this complete roof light is cheaper than the perspex dome if bought as a spare.

The Heki was very tempting so I spent 15 minutes examining our original wind-up Hymer original. Was impressed at the simplicity and robustness of it and the fact that after 19 years the mechanism worked perfectly.

So after gathering the all the info I could from the suggestions and links here phoned Brownhills Newark as a last resort.

This is my first ever contact with them and found them eager to help. The end result was a replacement dome to fit to the existing winding mechanism but now double skinned rather the single of the original will be £231 inclusive. This comes with a few fittings to enable this to be fitted in place of the single skin model.

The blind and screen assembly, plus a winder handle mod for use with the screen body came out £137.75 inclusive. They have both in stock and keep both as a regular stock item. All parts are Hymer OE.

For two reasons we are chosing the Hymer parts. The possiblilty to raise the roof just a tiny bit with the original wind-up system appeals. The Heki has 2 or 3 open positions.
The main reason is although the Heki is almost the same in internal dimensions there is a difference of up to 50mm in the cut out size. Guessing that Hymer made a frame in the roof of a size to fit their own roof light? the thought of moving the frame between the outer roof cap and inner lining didn't appeal at all.

If Knollbeck hadn't had the Heki on offer we would have paid more for a Heki 2 than the parts from Hymer, but the reasons above held sway anyway.

Thanks all again, can't wait to get started.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hello

Thanks to all for the various bits of information, it sent me off in all sorts of directions and we now know what we will do.

First may I esecially thank John & Joan, they went to the trouble of photographing their original rooflight from all angles so it was possible to see what an original set of screens looked like, really kind of them.

Craig at Knollbeck Caravans was helpful too. They have for offer a Heki 2 at £185 that was a display model but perfect and un-fitted, it's half price and listed on eBay this week. If you need to replace yours this complete roof light is cheaper than the perspex dome if bought as a spare.

The Heki was very tempting so I spent 15 minutes examining our original wind-up Hymer original. Was impressed at the simplicity and robustness of it and the fact that after 19 years the mechanism worked perfectly.

So after gathering the all the info I could from the suggestions and links here phoned Brownhills Newark as a last resort.

This is my first ever contact with them and found them eager to help. The end result was a replacement dome to fit to the existing winding mechanism but now double skinned rather the single of the original will be £231 inclusive. This comes with a few fittings to enable this to be fitted in place of the single skin model.

The blind and screen assembly, plus a winder handle mod for use with the screen body came out £137.75 inclusive. They have both in stock and keep both as a regular stock item. All parts are Hymer OE.

For two reasons we are chosing the Hymer parts. The possiblilty to raise the roof just a tiny bit with the original wind-up system appeals. The Heki has 2 or 3 open positions.
The main reason is although the Heki is almost the same in internal dimensions there is a difference of up to 50mm in the cut out size. Guessing that Hymer made a frame in the roof of a size to fit their own roof light? the thought of moving the frame between the outer roof cap and inner lining didn't appeal at all.

If Knollbeck hadn't had the Heki on offer we would have paid more for a Heki 2 than the parts from Hymer, but the reasons above held sway anyway.

Thanks all again, can't wait to get started.

Hi Jamie (veevee)
I am pleased to hear after a bit of research you have got the part you wanted, the original Hymer replacement roof light, and it seems at face value a good price:thumb:

Mel

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back