Hymer roof ~ stupid question? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We have a 2005 Starline B680 and I have to work on the roof fitting solar panels.

Is the flat aluminium surface fitted to I guess most of the Hymer models of this era strong enough to take a 75 kg person with soft flat shoes or should I as I have done before make up a couple of boards with soft fabric on the underside?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I read somewhere, can't remember where, that the maximum total roof loading on a Hymer is 75kg. I would definitely use boards to spread the load.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have walked around on mine many times, mostly in trainers / approach shoes for grip. If you are kneeling down, be careful not to put a lot of pressure on a small area or you might cause denting. When I am up there polishing (the only way to get to the top of the front GRP moulding to apply Farecla) I use a large folded candlewick bedspread to work on.

p.s. it is true that the manual states the maximum roof load as 75kg but I think that is referring to carrying luggage if you have roof rails.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
Tip:
take a mobile phone with you, I once knocked the ladder away and was stranded on the roof for over an hour.:ROFLMAO:

...but it was pi$$img down.

Wrap phone in a couple of layers of cling film. You can still make calls with it, and it doesn't get wet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
keep well clear of openings like skylights, as its VERY easy to cause a leak

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
keep well clear of openings like skylights, as its VERY easy to cause a leak
Very true, after having my Satellite dome fitted one of my roof lights leaked, had to remove it and re seal it,I don't know who or how big the fitters were. So as said stay away from roof lights

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back