Hymer Roof Light Leaking.. and a Disaster ;-((

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by scotjimland, Oct 29, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Went out today to check all was ok and found a drip on the floor under the big roof light.. it's about 800x 500mm and cranks up and down parallel to the roof..

my hopes that it was just a bit of condensation were dashed.. I found the cassette that holds the fly screen and blind very wet..

I decided to remove the cassette to investigate and found it full of water .. so not just a bit of condensation..

I was hoping to do from inside the van, but the window gets in the way, it only lifts up a few inches which makes it hard to get to the trim screws on the outside..

So I removed the window, then the external aluminium trim , cleaned off all the mastic from both it and the roof.. used a scraper, then green scouring pad soaked with white spirit.

Fortunately I had fresh roll of W4 mastic and proceeded to apply it to the ally frame..

While doing that Jan said she would clean the window.. this is where disaster strikes.. I went to help and flipped the window over to clean the inside and struck the edge of the table with it and a big bit broke off and fell on the ground.. :cry:

I suppose it could be repaired.. but i noticed a couple of other cracks.. maybe caused by striking an overhanging tree branch.. who knows.. but if it broke that easily I reckon it has suffered UV degradation.. and better replaced .

I made a temporary repair with gaffer tape and stuck it back on the roof.. and replaced the rest of the trim and cassette blind..

I dread to think out how much a new one is.. I'm waiting a call from Becks with a price..

It's not a difficult job.. but when we get careless.. disaster is waiting to bite us on the bum.. a hard lesson.. :(

A few pics of the job in progress .... DSCF2314.JPG DSCF2315.JPG DSCF2316.JPG DSCF2317.JPG DSCF2318.JPG DSCF2319.JPG DSCF2320.JPG DSCF2322.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  2. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

It's a good job you are a 'man that can' Jim!

• Like Like x 1
  3. chippy63

chippy63 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Bugger that's a shame.
    Tried to get my rear one above the bed out the other day to reseal no way couldn't shift it god knows what they used to fit it. In the end just had to clean away all the mastic on the outside and reseal that way. Not happy but if I'd kept going it was gonna smash I would like to replace it with a polar 12v vent but not sure how I'd get it out now without doing damage.
    Always the simple jobs that catch us out eh!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

Hi Jim, sorry to hear about your mishap. We had ours refitted by the Family Travel Centre in Bristol, while removing the hatch they cracked the inner trim, but we think it was UV degradation, and not their fault, so ordered a new one from Brownhills - wish we had ordered a new one earlier so they could do it all in one go and not have to return for a second refit!

• Like Like x 1
  6. scotjimland

7. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

I wonder if the opaque one might be better - maybe more protection for the inner trim from UV damage?

8. scotjimland

yes.. could be.. my inner trim is also fragile.. I'm not that fussy.. but management is.. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

thanks.. well.. nearly always.. :rolleyes:

but I was really upset and felt so stupid.. all was going so well.. :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. scotjimland

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Good job you found it when you did

• Like Like x 1
  12. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

It was probably on the point of going anyway Jim. At least it went when you were home and not on a foreign field.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

Hi Jim, don't beat yourself up over it - these things happen at our/my age. Don't let it get in the way of enjoying your MH and your travelling adventures. It's OK,

Norman

• Like Like x 1
  14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Its a bugger, but on a positive note you don't appear to have wet rot around the frame so once the new one is in place you can be confident all is well (at a price)

• Like Like x 3
  15. scotjimland

thankfully ... just damp.. caught in time

16. chippy63

chippy63 Funster

Glad it helped, I only know about these, because i was trying to find some costs on the parts for the hymer we were thinking of buying.

Brownhills quite usefull for hymer bits.

Karl

• Like Like x 2
  17. pjay

pjay Funster

Hi Jim,

Both my lounge and bathroom roof lights got taken out by a huge hailstorm in France a few years ago, you should be pleasantly surprised at the price you will get back from Hymer.
    I ordered mine along with loads of other bits from Chris at Premier Motorhomes, I can't remember exactly how much and of course can't find the receipt now but I think they were £150 each, certainly no more than £200 so don't go buying those Ebay (Brownhills) ones just yet.
    I can confirm the exact price with Chris tomorrow if you like. Be interesting to see what price Becks quote.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  18. scotjimland

@pjay

Hi Pete .. thanks for info... but already ordered from Brownhills.. .. I want it done asap and didn't think the price was too sad..

and Becks haven't come back yet ..

19. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Wonder why the parts are so cheap...!! Does it mean they are a fast moving item...?? Just a thought .haha.:reel::Eeek:

20. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Been a couple of recent threads on this one Jim, mine also leaked and needed sorting.
    A slightly convex roof design would have stopped pooling on what is a perfectly flat roof

• Like Like x 1