Hymer - Pluralistic Ignorance or Fallacy?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Sidney, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Sidney

Sidney Funster

So I had a bit of shufty round at the NEC saw a Frankia I really liked with excellent styling, great use of space and some awesome features.

Looked at two Hymer motorhomes and had to laugh at how badly they had nailed them together.

So in all honesty I ask have Hymers they always been a bit ropey? :whistle:

2. JJ

JJ Funster

No, No, No, No...

My 1987 Hymer 660S (this has the Mercedes chassis and the 2.9, 5 cylinder engine) is beautifully put together.

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Owned by Pilote.. a French company ..;)

In May 1990 Pilote take over as sole shareholder of FRANKIA.

4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Have to agree the newer ones are pretty poor especially compared to the older ones. Every time we look around the new vans at shows we're always disappointed at the quality compared to ours.
    Not just Hymer though most brands suffer the same quality problems.
    Sign of the times I think built to cost nowadays.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Sign of the times....old ones built like battle ships;)

• Like Like x 7
  6. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

I have a 2001 Frankia and built like a brick shit house, beautiful wood inside and still looks like brand new!!!!!!!!!!!! would never have anything else now after this craftsmanship and on a Mercedes chassis to. It seems that new vans of today are not built to the exacting standards that they was in this era!!!!!!!!!!!!. But Frankia seem to be able to use all the room inside and out to the best possible use and convenience in my judgement, but hymers pre 2004 seem to be excellently good in workmanship as well, but alas not the new one's :-( in my humble opinion.
    Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

I purchased a swift motorhome in 2013 new every week something broke or fell off so swaped for a hymer last year so much better than the British made swift not had one problem in six months of ownership so my vote goes to the German built motorhome still built well in my opinion

• Like Like x 8
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

due to driving license restrictions, the trend today is to get them as light as possible , no more than 3.5t
    but at the same time, people expect more and more fancy appliances and gadgets.. TVs Micro waves, Sat Dishes etc etc ..

something has to give and I'm afraid it's the weight and quality of the furniture and fixtures that is being downgraded..

build quality is also sufferering due to employing cheap labour .. it's very competitive market, and labour is where money can be saved.. why employ a tradesman to fit furniture when you can employ a un skilled person off a migrant boat,and train to put screws in but who quite frankly don't give a rats ass about your future pride and joy..

the US RV market suffers badly from this problem.. giving many makers a bad name..

• Like Like x 7
  9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I chose my B584 based on the fact that 2006- models changed the internal furniture for the pressed stuff. 2005 was apparently the last year of cabinet-built furniture (or at least not the 'Tecnoform' variety).

• Like Like x 3
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

On my second Hymer current one is 9 months old build quality on both is excellent.
    One of the reasons we went for the first Hymer was we went to Dusseldorf on the last day of the show and of all the vans there with thousands of people going through them the Hymers had less parts broken and falling off than any other make.
    If you want a shoddy van just look at the stuff they turn out in the UK, I wouldn't go near it.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I personally love the quality of the fittings and build on my 2002 B544. When it was in for a service at SMC in Newark we had a look around new Pilote and Frankia models. Particularly on the Pilote I was disappointed to see so many cheeply produced fixtures and fittings.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Loved our old '82 / 3 Hymer..... it's still around somewhere but has been SORNed for a year or two.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Tackle man

Tackle man Deleted User

We bought our new Hymer in Sept 14 after a 5 month wait of ordering from the factory.
    We love it. The best motorhome we have ever had!
    Previous new purchases were Autocruise and Autotrail, both had never ending build problems.

• Like Like x 6
  14. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Really happy with my old 2002 Hymer, solid as a rock(y)

• Like Like x 4
  15. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

My 2006 hymer is quite solid, but I agree some of the newer ones not as good referring to all vans. Guess it's building to a price.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  16. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I bought my 08 Hymer following a rush of blood to the bits that don't think enough, it was love at first sight

Soon after kept reading that since 05 Hymer build quality has gone down massively, I cant say that has applied to ours, but I don't have experience of an older one to compare to, nice and solid, quality fixings

• Like Like x 4
  17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

That explains a few things :)

• Like Like x 4
  18. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Blooming spellcheck :doh:

• Like Like x 5
  19. MJG1959

MJG1959 Read Only Funster

When I read threads like this it leaves me wondering if we should even bother buying a new motorhome....if build quality in newer vans is so bad I can't see it being worth the hassle.

Bailey were comprehensively rubbished in another thread, along with other british vans and now I read Hymer are crap now too.....

20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

How about this for another slant on it

Back in 05 a top spec Hymer might have cost £120K +, having paid that and losing probably 75% or more of its value over the next 10 years, the current owner faces a price to change for a new version of what they already have around £90K, is it any wonder they think theirs is lovely and too good to change (y)

That's my logic anyway :)

• Like Like x 5