Hymer or Knauss? LHD or RHD (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Right then, 'ere goes..........first post and all that............

Me and my owner (Mrs Chox) are looking to buy a motorhome and set off into the sun....blah blah.....

We have been looking at Panel van conversions and particularly like the Hymer 322 and the Knauss Boxstar 600 Solution. In each case we like the idea of fixed double at the back with garage underneath and then room for two people (our grown up kids) to visit us and have berths for them.

We also like the idea of keeping the motorhome within 6m x2m or thereabouts so that we can go/park/ in more places.

I have been in contact with a couple of dealers in Germany and it appears that the savings are massive (!).

We intend to do most of our touring in Europe so the LHD should be a bonus.

Anyone 'been there, done that?', own either of these two vans? or have any (better?) suggestions?

Any advice most welcome

Many thanks

Chox :Smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We have a 5 year old Knaus Sunliner 658LG - had it from new - fabulous van! Would recommend Knaus for design, build etc!

It's going up for sale soon as we're downsizing and also buying a caravan to leave in Spain so our lifestyle is changing slightly.

Will be sad to part with the Knaus though:Sad:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have bought two new Hymers from Germany within the last 10 years. Saved loads of money, not a difficult process and their motorhomes are well built. Excellent insulation for the winter and plenty of storage in the double floor models.

When I change again it will be another Hymer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Before you restrict your space by buying a panel van conversion, consider the following-

You are planning to tour Europe.
Europe is a completely different kettle of fish, compared with the UK, when it comes to access and availability of parking for motorhomes!
You will find a huge network of motorhome stopovers and tourist attractions that positively welcome motorhomes! There is no comparison between Europe and the UK with it's height barriers and local authorities with 'pikeyphobia'!

You can have all the freedom you want with even a 7.5m coachbuilt without being too cosy with 4 on board!:thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Chox,s
Left hand drive abroad is a good idea, mine is right hand drive, so ok here but a left hand here would be no prob as we know the roads and where we should be etc, and of course the left hand abroard would be much simpler. Pete

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Hi Chox and welcome, we moved from rhd to lhd as most of our hols are in europe and we find it easier,we also bought German and its warm and well built,but we have seen good build quality in British made,only thing we have found with a two/three birth, when we take any of the grand kids (which we love doing) it's not big enough so we will look for a four birth but keep it under 8 meters, as we like driving through small villages. :Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Before you restrict your space by buying a panel van conversion, consider the following-

You are planning to tour Europe.
Europe is a completely different kettle of fish, compared with the UK, when it comes to access and availability of parking for motorhomes!
You will find a huge network of motorhome stopovers and tourist attractions that positively welcome motorhomes! There is no comparison between Europe and the UK with it's height barriers and local authorities with 'pikeyphobia'!

You can have all the freedom you want with even a 7.5m coachbuilt without being too cosy with 4 on board!:thumb:

I totally agree with Jonandshell...mine is 7.4m "A Class" and find it no problems at all:thumb......we cover many many miles in hundreds of places over lots of months in every year.....it fact you may find a 6m x 2m a little confined unless you are use to a van type:

Mel

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks everyone for your replies so far...................choices, choices :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back