LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Not that we are in the market for a new Hymer Or Carthago (I wish!) but group buying power sounds like a great idea for whatever new motorhomes Funsters might be interested in especially for dealers selling various manufacturers (y)

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
Did you try any Belgium or German dealers? Almost impossible to get a sensible price on Hymer's or Cathago's from UK dealers.

No we never even considered it as we weren't brave enough to go to the European dealers when we bought early last year, but now I've read more about it on 'Fun' it sounds like it's an option definitely worth considering next time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We started the easy way brought a Hobby caravan in Germany in 2002, very easy just drive it home, as a caravan is not classed as a motor vehicle in the UK and does not need registering, nothing to do when you get home. It did give us an insight to dealing with foreign dealers so buying a Motorhome was a natural progression.

First port of call these days when buying anything for more than a few quid is to look at German prices. In the last year brought a Clarion stereo with satnav, Froli Star system for the bed, saved a 100 quid on each & 2 e-bikes with a saving of £800. At the moment looking at not renewing my contract phone and just getting a monthly contract sim and buying a new phone from Germany.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi, picked up my Carthago chic last week from southdowns and got a very good deal. Speak to Rod Jolly and see if he can do a deal.
Fantastic handover and beautifully built motorhome.
Peta
Just priced a Chic C line in Germany with the super pack, media pack 3Lt engine, auto about 65k, how does that compare?

Last edited:

Peetee

Free Member
Jul 11, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I had 3 different packs plus solar,gaslow,alarm.
List price £106000
Identical veachle in Germany,minus extras was £75000+ German vat.

Peetee

Free Member
Jul 11, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Also spoke to uk dealers and they were not interested in any warranty work if I pursued the german avenue.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Do you know which dealer it came from? And where headlight and speedo sorted as well plse
Yes came from Dürrwang and BVN arranged all of the necessary things when they brought it back to UK.eg. Lights,speedo and registration and delivery to me.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Also spoke to uk dealers and they were not interested in any warranty work if I pursued the german avenue.
Yes that seems to be a grey area but Hymer do say that any of their network will do warranty work.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes that seems to be a grey area but Hymer do say that any of their network will do warranty work.
I was also told by the Portsmouth Carthago dealer (salesman) that they would not touch a German supplied van, however I wonder if their service dept would simply book it in for works, without question?
Speaking to the Carthago dealer that we bought ours from, (which was in a different part of the country) they said that they would happily service and do warranty work on vans bought elsewhere, as this may lead to a sale in the future, however they said that some other dealers refused.
The savings we made by using the 'other' dealer certainly made it worth taking the risk, furthermore we could always take our van to Germany, as we frequently travel in mainland Europe.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I was also told by the Portsmouth Carthago dealer (salesman) that they would not touch a German supplied van, however I wonder if their service dept would simply book it in for works, without question?
Speaking to the Carthago dealer that we bought ours from, (which was in a different part of the country) they said that they would happily service and do warranty work on vans bought elsewhere, as this may lead to a sale in the future, however they said that some other dealers refused.
The savings we made by using the 'other' dealer certainly made it worth taking the risk, furthermore we could always take our van to Germany, as we frequently travel in mainland Europe.
Yes I read that as well so it seems there are helpful dealers out there!

Peetee

Free Member
Jul 11, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
At the end of the day we could have saved by going to Germany, but we think we got a great deal, have it in our drive and huge smiles every time we open the door, which, to me, is money well spent! We had a fabulous trial run out to the New Forest ahead of our plans to journey further afield.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Carthago's have a pan European warranty so shouldn't be a problem, obviously the sales men are going to try and frighten you off.
Our local Hymer dealer is only to pleased to help with our Belguim brought van, anyway when you are saving over 20k it's not much hardship to pop back over to Germany.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
At the end of the day we could have saved by going to Germany, but we think we got a great deal, have it in our drive and huge smiles every time we open the door, which, to me, is money well spent! We had a fabulous trial run out to the New Forest ahead of our plans to journey further afield.

Yes, that's the important thing, you're happy with your van and satisfied with your purchase. There's no 'one size fits all.' We all have our preferred way of doing things. Enjoy your van!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I had 3 different packs plus solar,gaslow,alarm.
List price £106000
Identical veachle in Germany,minus extras was £75000+ German vat.
Doesn't mean anything without actual spec and price.

Why would the German price be +vat all German price lists include vat, in fact any retail price of consumer products must include vat in the EU, only trade sales are allowed to show prices ex vat.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I would suggest that you first speak to Hymer and then to Trading Standards - a Pan European warranty gives you rights that the manufacturer MUST honour through your local dealership, if they refuse then Hymer should remove them as a recognised dealership.

This EU lark does have some benefits - if you use them.

Peetee

Free Member
Jul 11, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
If it was all about money we would of purchased a Hymer and not a luxury Carthago.:LOL::LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I would suggest that you first speak to Hymer and then to Trading Standards - a Pan European warranty gives you rights that the manufacturer MUST honour through your local dealership, if they refuse then Hymer should remove them as a recognised dealership.

This EU lark does have some benefits - if you use them.
No problem with Hymer local dealer only too pleased to sort out any problems on my Belgium brought van.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Surely it's about your individual value requirements rather than price?'
You can always find a cheaper alternative if you look hard enough
No one minds paying a bit more local for purchases and good service but when you are talking about 10's of thousands it's a different matter. I'm quite happy to £500 maybe even a £1000 more to buy a van in the UK but not £12000 more, which it was at time of purchase.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Oh my goodness! Really? What do you expect them to say!lol they want your money and play on nievity, fear even.

Its the people who buy from these rip off merchants that are supporting the explotive culture of UK dealers. We are in EU and its supposed to be a level marketplace. Dealers will only change when they can't sell and more buy abroad and that's what's happening..any looking at this wil be laughing all the way to the bank

Local Fiat agent will service the van. for Carthago service I will maybe use Urbano in Belgium who will be happy to take my money and are not blackmailers!:)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
Oh my goodness! Really? What do you expect them to say!lol they want your money and play on nievity, fear even.

Its the people who buy from these rip off merchants that are supporting the explotive culture of UK dealers. We are in EU and its supposed to be a level marketplace. Dealers will only change when they can't sell and more buy abroad and that's what's happening..any looking at this wil be laughing all the way to the bank

Local Fiat agent will service the van. for Carthago service I will maybe use Urbano in Belgium who will be happy to take my money and are not blackmailers!:)

I have been looking to by a Carthago from Germany. as you say the Fiat part is covered by Fiat. Would most of the fitted items, ie Alde, Truma , Dometic etc not be covered by their local agents if necessary, just leaving the Carthago shell to be taken back to the dealers for annual checks and any problems?

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Looking at Brownhills' website, we could have paid more to buy a Swift from them, than we paid for a Hymer in Germany. ;) I know it's all down to preference, and some people like British vans, but for us there was just no question. We don't have money to burn, and by going to Germany we feel that we've got value for money and a lovely van, which will hopefully last us a few years. (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
No one minds paying a bit more local for purchases and good service but when you are talking about 10's of thousands it's a different matter. I'm quite happy to £500 maybe even a £1000 more to buy a van in the UK but not £12000 more, which it was at time of purchase.
Like I say, that's 'your' value judgement
It's subjective, and everyone's values are different
If they weren't then we'd all be eating Aldi value sausages and there wouldn't be enough to go round !!!:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back