Hymer Or Carthago?

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by bellabee, Jun 28, 2015.

1. bellabee

bellabee Funster

The Burstner Nexxo now sold, we had fully intended to buy another Burstner. However, after looking around the local dealerships (and we're lucky to live in an area with easy access to several reputable ones), we have been disappointed with the quality of the new Burstners. They just don't seem to be as good as the 2008 model which we sold!
    So we've been looking at Hymers and Carthagos. In fact, we've looked so hard that our heads are spinning! It's easy to see why both of these are 'premium' brands - but with prices to match.
    Whichever we go for, it will be bought from Germany. (The LHD doesn't bother us, but the price does.)
    We've, more or less, boiled it down to the Hymer B544 and one of the Carthago c-tourer models - both very different vans, but both of which we like. I suspect we'd be happy with either.
    So, before we toss a coin, what do others think about the relative merits (de-merits) of Hymers as opposed to Carthagos? I suppose its partly that we hadn't really heard of Carthagos until we started looking, but they really are beautiful vans, and I know that that's a 'girly' comment. Is beauty more than skin-deep?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I'm looking at both, but just the lightweight 3500kg models. will make my mind up in July when I visit both factories showrooms in Germany on way to Italy. but for me the Carthago preferable as it stacks up (for me) against the Exsis as a particular model meets our needs better.

UK prices absolutely crazy! saw a i 138 the smallest model on a UK forecourt for over £20K more?.... So importing makes sense but not much around in stock so its probably a factory order.

A few new Carthago owners on here now....Hymer have their fans also. the hymers a bit cheaper and UK servicing/warranty more straight forward. plus always good resale with a Hymer...

my head says Hymer but heart wins I think :)

no not a girly comment, the Carthago oozes class and finish and its more then skin deep. flat double floor through out, garage access better, GRP roof as standard and the layout/spec better IMO, no exploding expensive headlights and its just looks so much more stylish.... BUT you pay for it....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  3. bellabee

bellabee Funster

@judgmental, I think you're just about summing up how we feel. Our heads say Hymer, but our hearts Carthago. I'd be very interested to hear what you think when you've visited the factories. Enjoy!
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  4. rosalan

rosalan Funster

As you looked at the Hymer stable, having had a Burstner, there are several other marques within the Hymer family. Laika, Dethleffs, Tec and Niesman Bischoff to name but a few. All these come with a price tag for quality but don't be fobbed off with their economy brothers that are built in other factories. down to a price.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Judge Mental

not doing factory tour..just the showrooms, was going to go see them in Belgium on way back from Spain in May but they did not have the models in stock so pointless. we are in the area anyway so hopefully all will be on show...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Judge Mental

nice Carthago video in English...UK manufacturers watch and weep:D

• Like Like x 7
  7. parknride

parknride Funster

I want one! Been admiring these for a while, wouldn't mind one next time we change.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We did exactly the same comparison, and decided on Carthago
    The build quality and the 'feel' of the interior fitments is superb
    Hymer certainly has a superior dealer network, but for me the sheer quality of the Carthago product stands head and shoulders above the competition, both in terms of method of construction, quality of fitments and innovation.
    As a wise man once said "quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"
    Very much looking forward to taking delivery of our new Carthago Chic C-Line at the end of July.

Best of luck whatever you decide on
    Robert

• Like Like x 2
  9. bellabee

bellabee Funster

@Robert Clark , I strongly suspect we'll go for the Carthago. Your wise man was right. I can't seem to find a reason why we shouldn't go for Carthago.
    You've chosen a lovely van. I bet you can't wait!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We spent ages deciding between a Hymer Exsis & Carthago C tourer. At the time difference in list price for the spec we wanted was about € 5000 but after discounts in the real world it was £15000, no way was the Carthago worth that much more & the Hymer suited our needs better also at the time we were trying to keep under 3500kg, not possible with the C Tourer, and 2 owners I know of C Tourers have come out 130kg over brochure weight, both my Hymers have been under.
    Better discounts available now on Carthago's the Germans have upped production with the currently buoyant market.

Another thing with the C Tourer range watch the roof space if you are going to fit solar panels. On my mates 142qb just enough room for 1 x 100 watt panel. That would have screwed us we have 2 on the
    Hymer and room for 2 more, looks like I need to fit a third as charging the e-bikes don't arf Cain the batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bellabee

bellabee Funster

@lennyhb, we haven't contacted any dealers, yet to start negotiating, so we've no feel for what discounts are available. £15,000 is a lot of money. Price/value will have to come into the equation.

12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If it had been €5000 or even £5000 might have gone for the Carthago, pleased we didn't the Hymer works for us, however if the Euro falls to 1.60 I could be tempted with a Chic.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Robert Clark

We negotiated 20% off our new Carthago
    Buying from Germany would have been a bit cheaper, but we got a right hand drive, UK spec van, without the hassles of importing

• Like Like x 1
  14. Judge Mental

To be fair Robert your deal was on a cancelled order or something like that..I tried your dealer as you well know, they were £10K more then a German quote and that for a LHD as well:(

I have not started seriously looking yet but no way will you get a deal here anything like what you can get personally importing...

15. bellabee

bellabee Funster

@Robert Clark From what we've seen, there appear to be some very good offers on Carthagos in the UK. We were at Stafford Show and Go European had some big discounts. They said that they pay for the vehicles in euros and are passing on the gains which they have made as a result of the good exchange rate -still not as good as buying in Germany, though.
    We don't mind going abroad to buy. We view it as a bit of an adventure. But having had a good look round at the Carthagos and Hymers on offer at Stafford, the Carthagos seemed to be better value.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Robert Clark

Dealer said it was an order for stock and not a cancelled order - which may or may not be true. Not sure why they would lie ?
    Having been in sales most of my working life, I learned that you don't get if you don't ask, and that therefore if UK buyers don't ask for more discount, they won't get it.
    Maybe I got a better offer than you because I wasn't looking for a factory order?
    Who knows?
    All I'd say is that prospective buyers should show their UK dealer what they could buy in Europe and see what they can negotiate
    It's about price conditioning the dealer, rather than them price conditioning you, the customer
    Furthermore I'd suggest approaching a number of UK dealers as I was quoted sustancially different prices for the identical UK van
    If you don't ask - you don't get
    I recently bought a new BMW i3 electric car. The first thing the dealer told me when I went in the showroom was that there are NO discounts on electric cars AND they don't take commercial vehicles in PX ( I was driving a Toyota HIlux pickup)
    Left the showroom s few hours later having traded in my Hilux, and having negotiated a number of extras, free of charge.
    Not trying to be patronising - just don't like taking no for an answer

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If it had been €5000 or even £5000 might have gone for the Carthago, pleased we didn't the Hymer works for us, however if the Euro falls to 1.60 I could be tempted with a Chic.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Judge Mental

@Robert Clark. Neither do I:D But gave up on rip off UK market over 20 years ago.... that's not that I dont ask occasionally for a laugh as in this case:)

And I have told him offer don't get anywhere near what I can get one for in Germany so the ball back in their court. offer was better then the £25k more I have seen it for elsewhere.

look around, there are hardly any in stock anywhere in Germany..all are a factory order, except a few ex hire available at end of season. although they are a nice spec and slightly used don't bother me, what's the point when a new 2016 model the same price..

If I ordered one now I would have it November. You have been lucky...count your blessings:giggle:

19. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

We went to a dealer on Saturday with the spec for the vehicle that we want, the guy came up with a price for the Mh, I went online and found one with a spec that was very close to the one that the UK dealer quoted, the one in France was £20k cheaper.
    The plan at the moment is to go to a dealer in Belgium next month and see what price they can do the van for and if we can get the 20k discount then we will place the order

• Like Like x 3
  20. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We have found (certainly with Hymers) once you mention a German quote UK dealers refuse to quote you, they don't appear to like compertion or want to sell at realistic price.

Hymer claim retail prices are the same throughout Europe including the UK, but you can still buy them 10-20k cheaper in Belgium & Germany.

• Like Like x 1