Hymer Mercedes Turbo Woes (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
& whilst eating my tea I have remembered that when it plays up , no power, nothing happens, tickover only, the engine management light does not come on . Not on my car anyway but the fault will be shown if you read the codes.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
& whilst eating my tea I have remembered that when it plays up , no power, nothing happens, tickover only, the engine management light does not come on . Not on my car anyway but the fault will be shown if you read the codes.

may not be my issue then, put in neutral I can rev to 4000rpm, just wont move up a gradient in drive, going to investigate this though as easy to work on compared to under bonnet and relatively cheap (y)

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Not a Merc but had that exact symptom on a Ducato (not motorhome), new pedal unit diagnosed, fitted all was fine thereafter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
David..does anyone at the garage you use have the ability to use a scope. Even if it's not flagging up codes the sensors and actuators could be checked for correct function with a scope... its just finding somewhere that uses one and knows what they are looking at...
Really hope you get sorted... I'd be loosing the will to live...:)
Andy.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Limped it back to the workshop today, failed once on the way but reset with a stop / start of the ignition, which now means it is in working order so probably nothing to find, again

Will probably just have to start changing bits and turning to religion :)

The throttle option is looking interesting as easy to get at and reasonably priced component (y) but going to be checked first, not been plugged in yet, awaiting update following that later today

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Will probably just have to start changing bits

That's why I suggested making enquiries about a diagnostic place that can use an automotive scope... They should be able to check components and ie throttle ,turbo etc rather than just exchanging bits and hoping that sorts it...
Said all that and I've never come across a garage that can use one.. They all rely on their diagnostic machines and replace component policy... but it's usually the customer that's left with the bill if it's replaced needlessly.. .
Andy

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry to hear the Woes continue:(, fingers crossed you get it sorted. Am sure that you would get alot of offers for drives to limp onto when you need to venture out again :).

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Got to be in the software really David, a turbo is a mechanical thing and they tend to either work or not.

Have you talked to one of the remap companies, I mean a good one with a rolling road, they are usually able to read deeper into the electronics and mapping than a plug in code reader.

Martin

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
still nothing to report other than nothing found, various fault codes, looking like a new turbo may still be needed, then the nightmare of how to get it off and the new one on

this link however sounds just like my problem, getting workshops to try this before committing to the near impossible turbo swap

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1513669
The problem is often a simple one.....every problem I have I scour the net first. Someone will have had the same problem. If it is this connector can you put some zip ties on it ???? Hope you get lucky!!!!

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Probably not related to your problems in the slightest David, but our recent intermittent problems on our Fiat Hymer with limp mode coming on and then engine revving regardless of throttle setting was eventually tracked down to damp and slight corrosion on the ECU connections. This was thought to have come from fine spray getting under the hood when following trucks etc on wet roads.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That is the problem with all this electronic stuff literally anything can bring on a eml & limp mode ! :mad:
Another I have had is an intermittent MAF sensor fault . That is the air flow sensor in the intake manifold. That will bring on exactly what you have .Unplugging it temporarily will make it use the inbuilt data & is ok as long as the vehicle is not driven stupidly ,over revved etc.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Posted elsewhere but included in here for continuity, apologies for any confusion due to duplication :)

It seems like we have little option but to change the turbo on our Hymer, trouble is the only way to it is engine out or possibly / hopefully from top down

My workshop are independent Mercedes but don't do motorhomes normally, after mine if it wasn't for the fact that he is a long term family friend he wouldn't be doing mine let alone any others!!

Has anybody any experience in removing a whole top of dash on a Mercedes based Hymer, 2007/8 model 800S, but more or less the identical dash on current models and quite likely earlier models

Or does anybody already know that we still will not get at the turbo from this route, I don't really want the greasy overalls inside if there is no gain to be made :) , only joking there, Bev has already issued brand new overalls, but there is no way to get it off from the bonnet access, it looks like we would have to drop the engine :( if we cant get at it from inside

still only 50/50 we will fix the problem with intermittent limp mode, but have found out there was an issue around that time, only option is full turbo kit from Mercedes, all upgrades / refurbs may well have the original fault still there, not worth the risk at this stage, much too big a job to change to save money on a cheaper option

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Workshop report on the loose cable option, ours is neither tight nor loose, he feels that would be a red herring as it wouldn't / shouldn't clear the fault unless refitted, which makes sense

It seems the box of bits we sent off for refurb is the key to the known fault, but Mercedes will not sell that as a stand alone unit, so a complete turbo is the only option, although as I type this I have just thought we could buy the whole kit and just fit the box which we know we can get at, I am inclined to agree with you Martin it is software not the turbo itself, but buried in the electronic box thingy (hopefully)

So will maybe have an unfitted turbo for sale on ebay soon :) and more importantly a MH I can drive without fear of breaking down in a dangerous spot, till the next problem that is of course :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back