Hymer m/cycle rack (1 Viewer)

Mickjohn

Free Member
Oct 1, 2009
Funster No
Hello. Can anybody help please?? I have 2 questions.
1. What weight can a m/cycle rack legally carry?? I am referring to the rear bumper pull-out primarily but info on other types would be useful.
2. MOST IMPORTANT. I am going to Germany to look for a used Hymer. I am willing to pay up to £7500 but have no idea where to go. Would someone PLEASE inform me as to the best locations?? If not possible to give motorhome dealers then towns/cities will suffice, websites could prove useful.
Thank you in advance. Mick

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Hi Mickjohn, welcome to MHF.

Try mobile.de for used Motorhome's.

The other question I can't help you with.

Pete:Cool:

Last edited:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the manufacturer of the the m/c carrier will decide the maximum load on any particular application ...problem is you will often end up overloaded , maybe just on the back axle but often overall especially if you buy at under 3.5 tonnes ; you really have to look at what you want to buy first
of course if you are looking for a bigger outfit , and have the appropriate driving licence , it is less of a problem

with regard to going to germany , why ? when you could get €1.50 /£ it was a no brainer , but now? you will probably get a better deal in the uk , especially as your price is really in the private seller , even Ebay , bracket ; think of all your travelling expenses / exchange losses in addition

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Mickjohn

Free Member
Oct 1, 2009
Funster No
TO 'LEBESSET' and 'apcx15'

Thanks 'apxc15', I will take a look at that website.
Thank you too 'lebesset' for your response. I do actually live in France, but I shall certainly bear in mind what you indicated about the UK prices. With regards the m/c rack; I was intending to purchase a Suzuki Burgman 400 weighing in at 185kg and putting onto the backside of a 534. The owner of this van has said that the racks info sheet states it is good for 200kg. How does this fare with the motorhomes loading?? Mick

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a B574 with a pull out bumper type bike rack and the paperwork (from Germany)states a max 120Kg. I think 185 Kg will well overload your van ,some one with more knowledge will explain re leverage etc.
The pound to € is rubbish I live in Spain and 3 years ago bought in Germany saved a mint.If I was buying again now I would only look at the UK.

Good luck

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi Mickjohn, We own a 534 just a heads up the max load is 3100kg.

cheers Min :thumb:

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Motorcycle carrier

Motorbike rack on a Hymer should be only set at 90kg's. Any more than this the rack itself will be very heavy and way beyond the vans capacity.
If you want to carry a 185kg bike I'm afraid its a small trailer. Be carefull, you could find yourself uninsured if involve with an accident if overloaded, quite costly if total package is in the order of £25k.
Ron W

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
what's the payload please min663 , in other words , what's the unladen weight ...have you had it on the weighbridge?

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi Lebesset, Havent had it on a weigh bridge yet but the vehicle plate and the registration document quote 3100 KG unladen. Min

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Sorry Lebesset minor cock up :Blush: unladen weight is 3100kg. been out and checked vehicle plate today front axle load of 1600kg rear axle load 1700kg so if im doing things right that should give you a loaded weight of 3300 kg giving you a 200kg load to play with. Min

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you sure about that. usually the addition of the two axles is more than the maximum allowed gross.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
like alan says , axles give more that the gross otherwise loading would be nigh on impossible
think you will find unladen is something like 2700 , and 3100 is the max loaded weight

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
hi vwalan, soory i thought that was how it worked, how do you go about finding out the maximum allowed gross, its not on my vehicle plate all thats on there are the 3 lots of figures quoted. Min

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hello

For once this is something I do know a little bit about (normally im on here asking loads of daft questions)

Fitting a scooter and rack was crucial for us. There is a very good formula here Link Removed

I used this for our Konitki. I got our rack fitted at Armatage Trailers at Ferry Bridge in West Yorkshire. Box Van Trailer - Enclosed Trailer - Yorkshire Armitage Trailers (UK) They were excellent and gave me loads of advice before I went ahead. The rack I had fitted will take a bike up to 200KG. The van however as already pointed out wont. We were tight on payload and in the end went for the fastest and lightest bike we could find that suited our requirements. A Peugeot Speedfight 100cc 2 stroke at 96KG. After everything was fitted and with the bike on we got weighed again and were JUST under the back axel limit.

We were also out in Germany in July and saw a few MH for sale on Dealer forecorts. Im no expert but the prices seemed very high compared to UK.

Hope this helps and good luck with the van and bike!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ..usually there is a silver or black plate pop riveted somewhere ,
1=max gross wt
2=max train wt
3=front axle max
4= rear axle max
mine on the mitzy
1=6,300kg
2 =9,800 kg
3=2,500kg
4=4.500kg

just to add confusion ,i voluntary down plate the train to 8.25okg so it can be used by a pre 97car lic holder.

ther plate is a world wide agreed format. they tend not to put the kerb weight on the plate as as soon as a slight body mod is made it changes. you will have to get it weighed to be sure and safe. its too late if you get a road side pull ,they have weigh mats now. you could get an enforced no moving ticket. till the weight is correct.
hope this helps. cheers alan.
ps i only live in rochecome by and i,l try to answer all your questions and there is a weigh bridge not far from me. pm me i,l give you my number.

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I do actually live in France, but I shall certainly bear in mind what you indicated about the UK prices. With regards the m/c rack; I was intending to purchase a Suzuki Burgman 400 weighing in at 185kg and putting onto the backside of a 534.

I, too, live in France (Morbihan). I have a Hymer 564, 1992 vintage. As far as I know, because of the overhang from the rear axle, the maximum weight that you can carry on the rack at the rear is 125Kg. This generally means that you can carry a light scooter, or a small 125cc motorbike.

The Burgman that you are hoping to carry would, in my view, be dangerously heavy. I have a Suzuki Bandit 1200SA which weighs in at about 220Kg and that is very definitely too heavy. I have a towbar on the van and am thinking of buying a trailer so that I can take the bike away with me.

I don't know if you have yet been through the procedure of importing a Camping Car into France, but I am just approaching the end of my process. A final meeting with the technicien from DRIRE on Thursday should see me writing the penultimate cheque before fitting the new French plates!

It has cost quite a bit. First, of course, the vehicle had to be tested for its CT (Controle Technique). No problem. The previous English owner had never bothered to change the headlights to UK standard, so they were good for LHD. Fiat France will only issue a partial Certificate of Conformity for the base chassis, and Hymer France likewise. But the first charged €140 and the second €125.

Then the gas and electrical installation had to be inspected and tested by Bureau Veritas, which cost €250. Plus the cost of the new 30mB regulator (he didn't like the 30mBar regulator that was fitted) and new hose (French hoses have a date stamped on them showing the last date that it must be replaced.) Plus the cost of the ventilator that had to be fitted in the side or the floor of the van (I fitted it to the habitation door). And the alteration to the internal battery box to make it fully sealed on top. Either that or replace the battery with a sealed type (cost about €180 or more). And the cost of having a new chassis plate made up, to be riveted under the bonnet on the bulhead and (really strange, this one) a label being created to stick somewhere near one of the plastic windows, saying that they must not be cleaned with alcohol (it leads to crazing of the plastic).

I registered my motorbike, my X-Trail and the wife's Rover 416 Automatic with far less hassle.

I don't know which department you are in, but be prepared!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back